Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescues - How you can help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, Nov 6, 2012.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

This time of year is hard for rescue dogs who are stuck in kennels. Particularly the smaller rescues.

Please give a thought to anything you can do to help. I.e donating bedding, good quality coats, a few hours a week of your time, money.

Dogs with shorter fur feel the cold!

So when you are sitting at home in the minus temperatures, please give a thought to the cold dogs.

This website gives you details of your local shelter. Be patient if they don't get back to you straight away as they are busy!

Shelter Helper

Thank you for reading!

#1 goodvic2, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Last year I bought a coat for Oscar hoping it would keep his back and legs a little warmer and less wet..(it worked although he hated it)

As soon as I feel a bit organised I will be packing the coat and a few other blankets ect for a local dog shelter. Oscar came from a shelter and it helps me to think that other shelter dogs will be warm this winter.
    Much nicer than selling or throwing the things away.

3. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Our local shelter also takes in bric a brac to sell at car boot sales and when we have a clear out I always give them the stuff.

In fact I have just sorted a load of toys and things of Pipers she no longer plays with to give to them, ready for Christmas. Will get them some treats and things too.

If i had the time, room and money we would have a lot more dogs!

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

thank you for posting this
    I can donate fleeces and coats that dillon has grown out of

5. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I take the boys old coats and things, and some bags of food to our Blue Cross.
    My great-aunt knits blankets and coats for the Greyhound rescue in Wales.

Feels much better than having it unused and stuck in a cupboard.
    :thumbup1:

6. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My local rescue centre takes towels and pillow cases for bedding. Anything much bigger isn't economical for them to keep washing due to the bulk so it's worth asking what each centre can and can't take. ;)

7. astara

astara PetForums Senior

i will be donating this year blankets and wot ever else i can find

8. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Our local rescue also has a charity shop that they sell all kinds of things from. They used to do bootsales etc too so it's worth asking if they do these things and then all household items are usable.

Also if your dog has taken a disliking to a brand of food, even if it's open they usually will take it etc. My one also got some vouchers alfie has won in pic comps for branded food. Everything helps.

I also saw in dogs monthly that they are giving dogs in the shelters cuddly toys to sleep with for company, so if you have any spare give those in or get some cheap in a charity shop and hand them in too.

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Thanks for the kick up the bum - I've got loads of old towels and blankets in the airing cupboard that I keep meaning to sort out. I'll do that today.

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Thank you for your replies.

You can always PM me if you want to send to our rescue (near Gatwick)

11. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I may get in contact soon as i am volunteering to do homechecks for my local rescue as its the best service i could offer at present.

Maybe ask for this threads name to be changed as people might not get from it how important the message is. Also maybe it could be a sticky as its a big issue that we can all help with.

12. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Great thread :) I've actually recently been in touch with my local one as they are in desperate need of blankets, etc.

I'll be taking some food and towels to them this week and I'm knitting a blanket. I'm also going to put a flyer up at work to ask people to bring things in that they can donate and I'll drive it down to them.

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Thanks to the nudge this morning, hopefully the dogs at the rescue local to me are having a slightly cosier sleep this evening! ;)

Took three black bin bags full of old towels down (is it just me, or do other people find that as dog owners, everyone seems to like offloading their old towels on you, for use with the dogs?! I know I have a lot of dogs but I certainly didn't need as many towels as I had! :D) - also found a couple of brand new cheapy summer duvets in the spare room that we don't really need, so they went too, as well a few toys the boys don't really play with! Had to drive past a Jollyes on the way, so a big bag of Winalot Shapes jumped in my car too!

I donate food to my local cat rescue monthly (and have done since I got my old cat from there, twenty five years ago!) but there are no dog rescues very nearby so I tend to forget those, but I have a car so there is no excuse - must try to do a bit more for them!

14. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Aww that's really lovely! I bet that will help so much.

This thread has given me the kick up the bum to get in contact with mine.

I really think if more saw it they would think twice and help. I'll keep bumping it too, hopefully more will read it.

15. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

So wish I could help, but Swindon isn't exactly a hot spot for rescue as I've found out whilst trying to volunteer.

It's so sad, I have quite a bit of time on my hands and would so love to help but just can't find anything :(

I do hope those who can, do though :)

16. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Hi there, I just did a quick google and there are some rescues around there. Even if it's too far to get to I'm sure any extras you have can help.:)

I think there is a westie rescue based in swindon.

Google gives up everything, I googled my small area and can you believe there is one 3 roads away, that's where I try to help if I can.

17. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Am I the only one who thought this was going to be about the dangers of reading while you run? :eek:

18. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Duvets in particular are appreciated by the rescues near me for their pointy, elderly or recuperating dogs in particular - problem is they're easily shredded and hard to wash so don't often last long!

If anyone has any slightly manky or lumpy duvets a chilly dog would really appreciate it :)

19. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your actions/words and support.

Have asked newfiesmum to change the title and do a sticky.

:thumbup1:

20. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice, will definitely look into them.

I must overcome my Facebook phobia, would be helpful no doubt :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice