Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescues...feelign a bit annoyed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tapir, May 28, 2010.

1. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

Hi there,

I am 100% pro rescue as i believe every dog needs a home..BUT. Recently I am struggling to understand how they can have SUCH strict rules. I mean, I know that I can, and do, offer a fantastic home and loving to a dog, but know I'd never get a rescue dog.

What are your feelings. Obviously I understand that they need to find good homes, but it makes me wonder how they think they can rehome any dogs!?

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I think recent events on here show they do need to be strict to protect the animal, But on the hand i do totally agree with you. I know we will never get a dog through rescue because of were we live But manage two large dogs with out any problems the rescues dont know that though they can only take our word.

we got turned away from the 3 local ones here even after we got zeb :(

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think you have to learn to accept it and get over the guilt of having to buy a dog!!:eek:
    I failed coz I would need a perfect dog (good with tiny dogs, cats, small furries, kids) and those types can be offered much nicer homes than I have got.:rolleyes: NM lots of folk do manage to rescue and good luck to them!:thumbup:

4. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

I considered rescue for our second dog, before we got Rosie, but my OH put me off; he kept saying we couldn't get a rescue dog, as we lived in rented (council) house and didn't have 'pots of money', he has this impression that rescue centres are only interested in homing dogs to people who own their house and have pots of money.

I think he's probably wrong, but I couldn't face the possibility of being rejected as a suitable dog owner when I'd grown up with dogs and had my own for 30 years.

I don't know, maybe rescue centres need to do some public relation initiatives to improve the way they are viewed by some people.

5. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

we home to people in rented accomadation,just need permission from your landlord,and so long as you know the costs of owning a dog,the money thing isn`t an issue

6. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

This is not so, however, you do need written confirmation from the council/landlord that you are allowed to keep a dog.

Tapir, I don't know your personal circumstances that prevent you from getting a rescue, but remember there is no standard requirement - different rescues vary and breed rescues tend to be a little more lenient. However, the main thing to remember is that the DOG is the priority to a rescue, not the potential owner who is looking for a dog.

7. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Jerry Greens are more understanding about people who work. It was the first question I asked, all they wanted to know was if there would be someone to let the dog out at lunchtime.

Hope you find your ideal dog :)

8. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Why so confident?

As said - different rescues differ. Some don't rehome many dogs, some rehome with appalling casualness, most fall somewhere in the middle. Then there's the private rehomings...

9. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

well, we are not rescuing at the mo but...

I live on a small holding (market garden). our garden is not fenced 6ft, just hedges and wire fencing. our dog has a dog flap and is in and out of the garden, as well as roaming around our crops when we are there. i work/at college (although my mum is home every day). Our house is a cottage, and i'd like to rehome a Bernese Mountain Dog, and think that out house would be considered too small (not in my oppinion as she can roam the garden as she pleases. Obviously we would need to be a lot more careful as a bernese is a lot more desiable than a cross breed, but we live in a very quiet, friendly village.

i dont know, I just dont think we would be considered good enough (for Bernese Welfare) or many other places for that matter.

10. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Have you actually tried?

11. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

not yet, but on the website it says "must have a 6ft fenced garden"

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I don't know the breed but none of the above would preclude you from consideration with the rescue I assist if they had a suitable dog.

but I'm confused - if you're not looking to rescue at the moment why are you annoyed?

13. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

because many other good dog owners are being refused.

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

A mature couple live down the road from me and had their 17yr old dog PTS. She works but he is at home all day and the dog was his life. He was falling apart at the seams and she tried the local rescue to re-home but was declined because they didnt have a secure garden. Irrespective of the fact that their 17yr old and the dog before (that lived to a ripe old age) had happy and fulfilled lives there. They found someone locally who had brother and sister collies wanting to rehome one and took that. The guy is now out and about with a purpose in life again.

I wanted to rescue but had to consider my little grand daughter and most will only rehome with older children so for safety's sake and having a blank canvas to work with I bought a puppy.

15. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Hi, just wanted to put my word accross.

I wanted a second dog, I needed him/her to be good with other dogs (am a dog walker/sitter) and already had my own dog. I need the dog to be good with children I have a 6 yr old (5 at the time) son who has friends over all the time and I also have 2 cats....... you'd think this would be imposible? No after visiting our local rescue, small but respectable kennels we found Noodles.

We were told by a more "well known" and "National" dog rescue they wouldnt "risk" a dog to us because of our busy household ???

Noodle has fitted in perfectly and i cant speak highly enough of the rescue she came from. She is so good i've applied for her to be a pets as therepy dog :)

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, good for you!! I suspect you have a lovely house with a big garden in a rural/semi rural location? Not a teeny hovel in the middle of a town like me!!:D

17. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

The problem I had when looking at rescue was that the conversation never went any further than we live in an apartment. I agree with strict rules but surely everyone should be taken on an individual basis. My dog wags her tail in her sleep she's so happy and I could have given that home to a rescue.

18. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

thats what i was wondering :confused1:

i work during school hours and my oh is away all week,
    i also have 2 rescue dogs :thumbup:
    and one is a staffy :D

1 person likes this.
  19. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Aw cats4m8tz I live in a house in town with a normal sized garden, i've never mesured it! I have a son. a job, other animals it is possible. Pm me if you want to chat hon x

20. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

When my Mum was looking for her second dog, we found a perfect dog at a local "well-known" rescue centre- her name was Muffin- she was a beautiful greyhound. We passed everything they asked with flying colours, we had a house, fence- we were close to a field, however the moment my Mum was asked about her work she was informed we couldn't take her. My Mum works four days a week, nine until five, but she does pop home for lunch every day- we already had two dogs at the time that were fine with being at home all day, but the rescue centre wouldn't let us have her due to being out for four-five hours at a time during the day. It just all seemed a bit silly, as the dogs are left for a long time in their kennels all day anyway at the rescue centre, and they only had one walk a day- so they received less human contact at the centre than they would have at our house.

We visited her every week for about four months after that, we also took her on walks- she was transferred onto another centre after that, and that was the last thing we heard of her. She was a lovely dog, really calm, placid and loved long walks: she would have fitted right into our house perfectly.

However, a year or so later my Mum found Skye in another rescue centre- and he now lives with us. He's taken a very long time to be shaped into a perfectly trained dog, but he's been a very rewarding case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice