Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue's Are they helping with the rescue crisis ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 12, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Or indirectly adding to it ?

Are they forcing people to go to breeders,not necessarily good ones by having stupid blanket policies in place ?

Thoughts ?

2. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

I would say that alot people being turned down probably go to buy a cheap pup somewhere else, a good chance that they go to a byb and a good chance that this doog ends up being one in the rescue in the future....its kinda like a circle ... imo

3. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

i know this isnt a dog but my friend wanted to rescue a cat , had a home check everything was fine , then a questionaire etc... took them about 3 weeks and in the end they got a kitten from a pet shop because they couldnt be bothered with the hassle.

i understand why the rescues have to be like that but it has its pro and cons

4. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

In my opinion yes. Many years ago i went to Battersea dogs home to try get a dog...I swear it would have been easier to adopt a child. Needless to say i never got one from there. :)

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

A good topic.

Before I got my rescue's, I went to 2 well known shelters and was refused a rescue. Mainly because they felt that we would be leaving the dog for too long and they would not give in-experienced dog owners, two rescue dogs.

I was disappointed, but I found out about Greek Animal Rescue and hence, Max and Lilly arrived. As you probably know, it has been incredibly hard work and I think 90% of people would have re-homed them. It turned out that the rescue centre was right, it was not a good idea for us to take on 2. However, if we had been more adaptable and flexible in what we wanted with the rescue centre, we would have got a dog. But we had specific requirements.

My newest rescue came from a private sale, he desperately needed a new home (he had been in a rescue centre previously). Again, there is no way a rescue organisation would allow me another dog, because Max and Lilly can be dog aggressive. But because of our dedication and committment, we have come through it.

Do I think the rescue organisations made the right decision? In my case no, but I would rather they air on the side of caution and not re-home,if there is a chance that the dog will just end up back to where it came from.

Remember also, that a lot of people go to these centres with a certain criteria in mind (like us, we did not want to compromise). I guarantee if they were flexible then they would stand a much better chance of getting a dog.

And...... If people say they are out for 4 hours a day, you can bet your life most people exagerate, and the rescue centres see through this.

So in answer to your question, are the rescue centres making it difficult?

You have to ask yourself. "Are people going in there with an open mind and able to see that they are the experts? or are they like I was, and had a criteria?"

The % of rescue's which get returned is staggering, despite having a strict criteria. The disadvantages of people returning rescue's is:

* First and foremost, the welfare of the dog
    * Cost implications on home checks, and time filling in paperwork and spending time with the new family.

I wonder what % of people who get a puppy have bothered to go to a rescue centre?

People go to a breeder because it is easier and it is a case of I want, I want, I want.

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

It's the people who can't be bothered that usually end up taking their pets back. :(

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

That's who turned us down, but it was because I had an idea of what I wanted and I did not want to compromise. I was not prepared to listen to their advice.

How many people go in there and are prepared to accept any dog, based on what is suitable for them??????

8. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

i didnt mean it like that , its not that they couldn't be bothered but , every time they went to get the cat they said o hang on we haven't done this etc... think if they had said right we need to do this this and this then that wouldn't have been a problem , but they wasnt sure how long it would take

they love there little kitty cat

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

My mum went to a dogs home and they said no because she has no garden, but she has 2 big parks 5 mins walk away, so she got a whippet boy from a breeder, so yes sometimes they have stupid policies, think of all the dogs that would have a good home but are still waiting dam policies.

10. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Their words to me at the time were it was because i was after a German Shepherd and because thats a pedigree dog, the rules were different. :confused:

11. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Years ago when we first thought about getting a dog we went to the local rescue centres, I had never had a dog before but my oh had been brought up with them. I wanted a pup as I felt that would be the best thing for me as a novice dog owner, no rescue would allow me to have one so we took on an older dog. He was a lovely lad but he had so many problems and as I'd never had a dog before I couldn't handle him, unfortunately he had to go back. I waited a year and the same thing no pup, we ended up going to a breeder and getting Ailsa my bridge baby. I now have a dog we got from the same breeder and I also have my wee oldie who we got from a rescue centre in Wales last year.
    Rescues need to look at the individuals and not the rule books, I was offering a pup what I thought was a good home :p, children were all teenagers, I work from home and we had always had rescue cats so were used to animals about the house.

Terri

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yep

We got zeb mainly because no rescue place would even look at us, since havin him we have phoned around again to say look we already have one fit and healthy well looked around dog and we would really love to get a rescue. But it's still a no because we dont have what they call an garden :(

I feel in love with a black lurcher which ive read are hard to rehome but he wouldve been perfect for us cat and child friendly and dog friendly but we got told no they wouldnt even come out and see us sad really

13. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

Thats a good reason not to home a dog!!how do we know that the dog will be taken to the park?
    I know we can`t garuntee the dog will be let out in the garden if they have one,but theres more chance it will be,than just saying they have a park 5 mins away.
    Rescues aren`t perfect i know, iwork for one,but just because YOU think your right for the dog doesn`t mean you are.We turn down many people becaue they don`t want to listen to what we have to say,
    "oh my last lab was so laid back and good natured",
    yes but this isn`t your last lab.
    "oh i`m sure it will be fine whne we get it home"
    This lab has some behavioural problems that will need continuing training when you get it home.
    "oh i doubt that it will be just like my old lab"
    We try to help but if people won`t listen to us when we`ve been looking after these animals how can we help,do you think we like seeing certain dogs stay in kennels for a long time?we want the best homes so with certain dogs we have to be more choosy

14. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i know people will lovely gardens keeping their dogs locked inside never letting them in the garden so they dont ruin their lovely green looking grass and colourfull flowers ...

... then i know people with small gardens with no grassarea and the dogs never seen whats behind the fence :(

I think imo that no garden is not a reason not to let someone rescue a dog...

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Totally agree my sister lived in a small one bedroomed first floor flat when she got her first dog ( from a breeder ) a white German Shepherd, that dog was walked more and taken more places than any dog I've ever known. She put far more effort into taking him places to make up for her not having a garden for him to play in.

Terri

16. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

How do you know someone with a garden is going to look the dog in the kitchen and let it crap in there? YOU will never know what goes on when that dog leaves you, just because someone has a garden doesnt mean its going to get the care and attention it needs. Maybe the poor thing will be tied up and left all day in the garden that made the rescue place give him to these humans?

We take zeb everywhere he goes on so many walks and runs e.t.c to make up for the fact we dont have a proper garden

17. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

your right we don`t but you can`t say that rescues are rubbish because they won`t rehome to people without a garden.
    It`s bloody hard work,working in rescue and very heartbreaking i don`t agree with every policy,but i wouldn`t take on a dog if i had no garden,not because i`m lazy,i love walking my dog,but being able to to spend time in the garden,i don`t think it`s fair for a dog not o have acsess to a garden,thats my opinion

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yes i know its hard work not something i could do i'd want to take them all home :)

why do you think its unfair? If the dog gets excerise, love, affection e.t.c all the things it needs to be a wonderful part of your family what does a garden matter? :)

19. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

its also not fair on a dog to be locked out in the garden all day .... simple solution for keeping a house clean for some :(

I think the person wanting to rescue should be assessed more individually ....

20. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I appriciate what your saying,however I think if rescue's were a little more flexible they would home more dogs instead of alieniating people and pushing them towards breeders.
    I would always give the bigger rescue's a wide berth and go to a specific breed rescue,I think they tend to take a case on it's own merits rather than having blanket policies in place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice