Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescues and the DDA

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Before a dog is rehomed, are they assessed under the DDA?

What i mean by that is, if a dog is deemed to be a "pitbull type" would a rescue centre still rehome them?

There is a woman who lives near me with a wonderful dog she got from Battersea. Very sweet, well trained, and incredibly friendly. Yet it looks EXACTLY like a pitbull, although it was advertised as a SBT cross.

If she were to be approached by the police, would she have any protection from the DDA as she got the dog from a reputable rescue centre?

She is very similar to these two..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this makes sense :)

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It's doubtful, I don't think rescues are above the law where the DDA is concerned. As much as many rescues don't like to see dogs put to sleep I'm pretty sure there would be laws against falsely advertising/misrepresenting dogs in their care, where the general public are concerned.
    If the dog was deemed to be of type, just because it comes from rescue makes no difference in the eyes of the law, the dangerous dogs act applies to all dogs so I would think that would cover dogs from rescue also.

#2 Nicci, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  3. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I've often wondere dabout this to.

BTW isn't that the actor Danny Trejo in the lower picture?

4. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Sometimes

A dog that has been deemed by the courts to be of 'type' cannot be rehomed.

No. Where she obtained the dog is not relevant as to whether or not the dog is 'type'.

Can't see enough of the bottom one to judge but the top one doesn't look 'type' to me.

5. My staffy cross boxer i had looked very much like the top dog only a different colour. She was dark brindle with white blaze on face and white paws and chest. we got her from dogs trust and insured us she was not a pitbull after we had so many people saying she was to us. We sadly had to give her back to the rescue afer 9 months as she became aggressive towards Holly and attacked her constantly although she was extremly friendly towards humans.

here are a couple of pics of her
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 My lil Babies, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  6. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

The foster i've just picked up has been checked to see if he was a pit bull type by the rescue- they have a letter to prove it so he can be re-homed in the future.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats interesting. Do you know how they check?

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I have no idea about this but when I queried about a dog that was posted on here the rescue in question answered to say they had their own "expert" to deem whether the dog was or not.
    I don't know if this is the way things work with other rescues..

9. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Ask the police to have a DLO look at the dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice