Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescued bird

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ayembee, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Ayembee

Ayembee PetForums Newbie

We rescued a blue tit that had fallen down a drainpipe. Involved removing said drainpipe and cleaning and shaking until bitd came out. it seem quite lively and uninjured but terribly dirty and wet. Ihave put it carefully in a clearbox in the greenhouse with food and water. Its feathers are very dirty and hardly visible as feathers. What I need toknowfrom a bird person is ..after seeing the state it is in by the morning should I just let things be or should I try to gently wash the bird and keep it a bit longer todry. It wouldn’t survive outside at the moment

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d contact a wildlife rescue and maybe get their advice.

Perhaps have the box indoors over night as it will be very cold on it’s own.

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree with lurcherlad. Your wildlife rescue can best advise. If you are in the uk I wouldnt leave the bird outside tonight as with dirty feather it will have no insulation to keep warm.

Follow the advice here. Keeping the bird warm and in a dark place will help with shock. Google for local wildlife hospitals.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-advice/injured-bird-advice

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Ayembee

Ayembee PetForums Newbie

I have brought itin the house. Itdidhave warm bedding but you are right in thinking it would be cold overnight

5. Ayembee

Ayembee PetForums Newbie

This morning it is much better than Iexpected. The feathers are not perfect but have dried out well and it looks like a bird again. I think I will release it later this morning if it is still dry. Ihave arural garden with plenty of safe cover and I put feed out daily.

as it is so strong and lively I think it will be ok. A very lucky bird!

Cairn Friends, rona and kittih like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice