Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescued a pregnant cat from drowning

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by LunaLeo, Jul 21, 2017.

1. LunaLeo

LunaLeo PetForums Newbie

Hi so my roommates mom saved this cat from drowning! She is about 6 months old or so and she was literally in the middle of this lake. But she is/was pregnant.
    She says the cat, who I'm calling Hathor, has had two miscarriages since monday. The vet today said she's not pregnant anymore but I don't think they did an ultrasound.
    Her stomach is still very swollen, and she's still peaked. She has a bit of bloody discharge and what seems to be contractions every now and then.
    She's very keen on her belly being rubbed and I'm sure there's at least one maybe two kitten sized bumps.
    I've helped cats birth before but never with a complicated pregnancy, I'm just really worried for her especially since the vets been very dismissive.

Please any advice would be helpful!

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Take her to a different vet and get an ultrasound done. She may also need antibiotics

3. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

If she's that young, then losing the kittens maybe a blessing for her. But, yes, get a second opinion.

LunaLeo and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

She would still be having a little discharge at this stage even after a normal birth. If it starts to smell or she appears unwell the chances are she will have retained something and will need immediate vet attention. While she seems well, you could just watch her carefully for any signs that all is not well. If she still has live kittens you would see them moving. With luck, she only had two kittens which is possible if she really is only 6 months old.

LunaLeo and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. LunaLeo

LunaLeo PetForums Newbie

Thankyou all for the replies, I'll try to get her to another vet today. One of the bumps has shifted slightly so I think there's another in there for sure, honestly. I'll keep a close eye on her

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Were you able to get her to the vet over the weekend?

moggie14 likes this.
  7. LunaLeo

LunaLeo PetForums Newbie

Yes, I was told to keep a close eye on her and that there's one more little one, though they're not sure if it's alive or not. Since then her stomach has gone down quite a bit but is still very firm, so it's still a wait and see kind of deal. I'm supposed to bring her in again in a week.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Did they not do an ultrasound to determine if it was alive or not? As she has dropped she doesn't have long now, hopefully she is ok. Keep us updated please?

9. LunaLeo

LunaLeo PetForums Newbie

I'm aware this is unbelievably late (life got very hectic there for a while).

But I did want to update this thread. Hathor's kitten was very small but otherwise healthy, and both are doing very well! Hathor stayed with me while we found a very loving home for her little boy, and both are kept very far from lakes!

NFC slave, PhoebesMom, Shrike and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice