Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescued A Dog - Think Shes Pregnant!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mum2Two, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Mum2Two

Mum2Two PetForums Newbie

My husband and I rescued a beautiful bichon frise cross yesterday, it was an ad that we replied to online. We went to see the dog and everything looked fine. This evening a good friend clipped the dog for us, it was then that we noticed she has a huge belly. Her nipples are a little large but looks like shes had a litter a while ago.

She does like her food and we do have to worm her yet. Shes thin around the back bone and hips, but her belly is so huge - infact it looks very big to be just worms and her belly is hard.

I have been trying to contact her ex owner but she is not responding to calls or text messages. We were told she had another dog but we never seen it, the reason for letting the dog go was because it wasnt getting on with this dog and she is pregnant, though she did say the other dog was only 6 months old.

I tried calling today to get an appointment with our vet, I cannot get one until tuesday evening!! I have some drontal but im scared to give her these incase she is pregnant!!

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

welcome to the forum :)

If you think she could be in pup then do not give her the drontal wormer - I would get a bottle of pancur instead which is safe to use for pregnant females through out, where as drontal is only meant to be safe during the second half of gestation.

I would get her to the vets as soon as you can for a scan, see what the vet says they should also be able to give an idea on dates if she is pregnant. If she is less than 45 days in pup then I would ask for the mismate injection, due to the fact that you have no idea about the size of the potentail sire - ect.

#2 Devil-Dogz, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. Mum2Two

Mum2Two PetForums Newbie

I said to the receptionist that I think the dog is pregnant, however she couldnt give me any appointment that is sooner. Was going to phone around a couple of vets in the morning to see if she can be seen sooner with them.

She is big, seems to have quite a thirst on her. I honestly think the stomach is too big to be worms, however any dog weve had has always been wormed regularly.

If she is pregnant then I would say she is nearly ready to pup, I heard that towards the end you can see pups moving. With her I cant!

I was wondering if a dog can be so badly infested with worms that it looks pregnant?

BTW can I post a photo? If so, how?

4. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Yes a dog that is invested with worms could possibly look very pregnant. Have not seen it myself but have heard of it once or twice with other rescues.
    I think it best to ring around if you can and get a faster vet check, and get her scanned to rule out her being pregnant - if she is pregnant and ready to pop then I am afraid you will have to go with it - but there will be people willing to help you on here with breeding advice in the breeding section :) Yes if she is in late stages of pregnancy its normal to see and feel puppies moving - best to have them settled asleep on your lap and lay your hand on their stomach you should feel a kick or two - however saying that some times you dont feel or see anything and that doesnt mean the dog is not carrying puppies.

You can indeed upload photos on here by attatching a photo using the paper clip symbol in the box that comes up when you hit the reply button, or by upload pictures onto a photo site such as photobucket and copying the url.

5. Mum2Two

Mum2Two PetForums Newbie

6. rona

rona Guest

Have you tried contacting the ex owner using a different phone?
    They may have your number on an ignore list now you have the dog :(

7. Or put 141 before the number before dialling!

8. shells

shells PetForums VIP

aww bless the poor girl hope you manage to get her seen soon xx

9. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Poor little girl :( fingers crossed she isnt pregnant,for her sake...as for the previous owners i would forget the phone calls and just turn up at their door,that way they have to give you answers and you may even get to see the "other" dog

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Hopefully you can all see these, think these are the photos of the little doggy just the link wasn't quite right :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

aw look at the poor wee girl, she certainly looks pregnant to me - and in the later stage to! :(
    You really need to push to see the vet today if you can, and see what they suggest - talk through your options. Its quite possible that she is over 6 weeks and vets will refuse to do anything then no mis mate will be on offer and most vets wont spay.
    - If she is pregnant and your only option is to go with it, you need to get a good quality puppy food and be feeding her up with 3/4 smaller meals a day. You also need to look at getting some sort of whelping box/puppy pen (its not advised to use a cage if you can help it!) where she can have her own little safe 'den' in a quiet part of the house.
    Do let us know when you have been to the vets and members will be able to advise you more.

12. Mum2Two

Mum2Two PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone, ive called some vets today and have managed to get an appointment for tonight. I have also purchased some puppy dry food for her and to be on the safe side my husband has build a whelping box.

I tried other phones to call the owner but it goes to voice mail (unfortunately only got a mobile number).

13. where you looking DD? I can't see no pictures:confused:

14. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Glad someone can see her tonight you shall have to please keep us updated :) Also good to see you preparing yourself incase :)

DT - post #10 have the pictures :)

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

:eek: you ant put me on ignore have ya :scared: :nono:

Hope she gets on OK at the vet :)

16. gladass

gladass Banned

She does look pregnant but I would also maybe worry about Pyometra going by the fact you said she has" quite a thirst on her"
    Closed Pyo can cause bitches to look all swollen as if pregnant

1 person likes this.
  17. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Any news mum2two?

18. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

am worried about the poor girl - still no news? :(

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Poor girl, I hope it isn't a medical condition, no hair loss on sides, worried about Cushings disease :(

Hope all okay x

20. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

how is she doing today?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice