Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rescued a beardie and have some questions, please help!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Shin&Dragon, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Shin&Dragon

Shin&Dragon PetForums Newbie

Hello, I’ve very recently rescued a 2 year old female bearded dragon,
    She came with aspen in her viv and I was told to take it out and change it as it was not good for her and could cause blockages,
    So I’ve changed it to reptile sand and have now read mixed things about the sand and how it can cause all sorts of problems and mites is this true?
    I’ve read about other people using tiles and hard surfaces like slate and carpet would this be better than the sand?
    Also, since I have replaced the aspen with sand, she is continuously digging and still digging when she reaches the bottom of the viv! does anyone know why she would be doing this? Is it because she’s new to sand? Or is she trying to find a place to lay eggs? The previous owners I rescued her from didn’t say anything about her ever laying eggs before this may be a new thing too.

She feeds on locusts and I have been putting plant based food out too with the calcium but she doesn’t seem to be touching it at all- should I be worried about this?
    Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to be the best I can as she’s had it pretty hard thank you

2. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

If the sand you have is "cali sand" then yes, that is no good.
    The best substrate to use is play sand and top soil mixed together. Bearded dragons like to dig and burrow, it helps them to maintain their body temperature.

As for not eating, how long have you had this bearded dragon? Keep offering food, he/she may just need a little time to settle in

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice