Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue remedy??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sid&kira, May 16, 2010.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Is there a different RR for dogs? or do you just use the human one?? I've got a bottle and i've been spraying it on my trouser legs at dog head height, and on the collards/leads, but i dont notice a difference...

Kiras still mental... Rebas still just as reactive :confused1:

On the bottle it says spray on tongue!!! :confused1:

2. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've only ever used the human rescue remedy on the dogs, I put 3 or 4 drops directly into their mouths or you can put it in the water bowl or on food whatever is easiest for you. I've never heard of anyone spraying on clothing or collars and leads before.

Terri

3. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Terry (LeashedForLife) on here says to spray it on all clothing at nose level, and onto the lead where it would be near the face, and collars etc :confused1:

4. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

nah, doubt it would work like that...nothing to do woth the smell...

i'd use DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheramone) Natural Spray..works wonders! Rescue Remedy goes in the mouth.

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Interesting to know :thumbup:, I think if I need to use it again I'll still be sticking it in their gobs but for a dog that you can't get close to it might help being on clothes.
    Can I ask why your needing to use it.

Terri

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

The main Baach's rescue remedy is just that - a "rescue" for emergency and stressful situations, and is designed to be ingested :D

There are however a whole range of RR that address specific issues

The Original 38 Bach Flower Remedies, Bach Flower Essences

There are dog therapists that do very reasonably priced consultations for the best combination basd on your dogs symptoms, and I have heard of, and witinessed quite remarkable results where everything else has failed.

7. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Well atm im petsitting a highly dog reactive and agressive dog (only to other dogs, soft as shite with people), and i thought maybe that would lower her reactivity a little. And my own dog is mental around other dogs, mainly because shes still young, but she wants to say hi to every dog! lol, thought it might help calm her a little lol.

Ah... maybe terry was on about dap then... rather than RR...

8. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

I apply RR (the human one) direct to the gums and have in the water bowls at all times. I use DAP spray on leash, trousers and bandana on dog when out and about. Calmatives are not miracle workers and need to be part of a behaviour mod. program.
    There is a dog specific RR which i have never used. Never give dogs the RR lozenges they contain zylitol which is toxic to dogs.

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Arran has fear aggression and will try and have a pop at any dog that runs at him he also gets very stressed, I got him stuff called ZYLKENE which did help, my problem is other dog owners not keeping their dogs under control so I need something a wee bit more.

Terri

10. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I am doing some work with her.... she accepts kira now :thumbup: she will warn her but not snap, which is a massive improvement, however, thats not helping with her reactivity with other dogs... Just the other day a lab ran over to us and she had hold of it :eek: the bloke said i didnt have control of her and i should train her... I reminded him that his dog was the one off lead that ran at mine, AFTER i had warned him that she wasnt friendly :mad:

however, im no behaviourist... i can train dogs in general obedience no problem, B-mod im not so hot on...

11. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

12. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I didnt find rescue remedy very good with Liberty, but skullcap and valerian tablets are fab, its taken the edge off to train her out of her little issues, she is almost a different dogs these days. very much less reactive and copes well with dogs and people much better now
    xx

13. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

just a thought
    some dogs are intolerant to some food additives which can make them hyper just as children react to lots of fizzy drinks etc. check your food labels. if there are lots of additives in it think about changing to a more natural diet or additive free one....there are many to choose from. also, check the protein levels in the food and look for one which has less than 20% as this will help lower the energy levels.
    :thumbup:

14. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

The best thing i have ever used to calm your dog is calmdown hearbs by a company called CSJ there fantastic and there is nothing in them that can do damage its all natrual :)

15. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Kiras a raw fed dog ;)

She's only hyper when she meets other dogs, simply being a puppy and wanting to say hi to everyone :rolleyes: lol :lol:

I dont mind, just wanted to see if it made a difference at all lol, Reba's the one i really wanted to try it on (the dog im dog sitting)

16. kath3kidz

kath3kidz PetForums Junior

THank god I'm not the only one then! If you have a look at my posts you'll see I'm in the same boat - tearing my hair out over dog to dog aggression in my otherwise lovable obedient and fantastic little dog! I'm taking RR myself as well as giving it to him, and I'm also using Bach remedy Cherry Plum on him - 2 drops 3 times a day on a treat. Only been using it 3 days so far so maybe too early to see a result. Haven't seen any change yet. I'm combining this with B Mod work. Like you, I'm good at basic dog training but B Mod not so hot:( Haven't tried DAP or heard of it. Let me know how yours gets on with this, I might give it a go. Good luck and stay positive..... hard I know! :huh:

17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I think the Doreen Paige remedies work much better. Have a look at the website.

18. kath3kidz

kath3kidz PetForums Junior

THanks Twiggy. I've just looked at doreen Paige and have ordered the Aggression one and the Skullcap and VAlerian one. Please please pleeese work!!:)

19. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I use RR on Flynn, four drops twice daily on his tongue as he can get edgy when out sometimes. I also bought him a thundershirt as he was scared going out after dark. Used it a few times and he doesn't mind the dark now, he's also not so reactive of dogs providng the distance is right. Don't know if that's the RR or thindershirt, either way it's a great achievement for him. :)

20. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'd give them a ring on Monday morning. They like to know all about your dog's particular problems and will make a remedy up for you if necessary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice