Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue rehoming policies re; people who work

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Jul 1, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

How do you feel about rehoming centres who have a policy of not rehoming dogs to homes where the dogs will be left alone for more than 4 hours?

I've always been a bit miffed by this because all of my dogs have been rescues and all of them have been given everything a dog needs in abundance - love, exercise, routine, training, veterinary care, healthy diet, toys, security, warmth etc... yet according to most centres, because I work, I am an unsuitable owner.

Can rescue shelters really afford to be so picky when thousands of unwanted dogs are pts each year?

How much quality human interaction time to dogs get in rescue centres? Are there staff with them outside of the 9-5 working day? - If not, then that's a REALLY long time to be left alone

And what about the many people who have been turned down for a rescue dog because they work, so simply bought a pup from a litter instead (I know quite a few)

Maybe it's a good thing, perhaps these organisations are preventing further heartache for the dogs?

2. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

I think they are trying to make sure the dog doesnt need to suffer heart ache again like you say, seeing who would actually make a suitable owner.

However i am with you, when i get a job, i am sure at some times when i get my dog he/she will be left alone more than 4 hours. If couples/owners work , and leave there dog for 4-5 hours in the afternoon, that doesnt mean they love there dog anyless than the lazy gits who dont work but sit around on benefits does it ?

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I can understand why they do it,however some breeder's will not home puppies when the potential buyer works full time.

I have said before that rescues need to look at individual cases rather than have blanket policies in place.

4. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I agree, i think the smaller rescue centers tend to look at things on a case by case basis but certainly the larger ones have a blanket rule.

I started off wanting two rescue dogs and was refused as they would come to work with me and they felt that as i didnt have a secure garden at work i wasnt a suitable owner. They are walked!

So, i bought a pedigree as a second choice. It rattles me when i see my two living in the lap of luxury when it could easily have been a lovely life for two rescues - and i wanted age 5 plus!

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree that some dogs should not be homed where they will be alone more than 4 hours, like very young dogs or dogs with SA.
    But older calmer dogs they should be more leniant with, as even if you were at work 9-5 the dog would still get loads more one on one attention, and exercise,a much better quality of life than in kennels!

I have to admit that when adopting my first kennel dog Rusty, a collie x gsd I wasn't 100% accurate on the form! :eek:
    I was in college 4 days a week, two of those days were when my flatmate were in uni, so the dog would have been left from 8am until 4pm, with my other flatmate taking him out at lunch time. I also worked 4 nights a week, one of which my flatmate woul be at his mums so Rusty would be left from 10pm until 4am.
    I said on the form he would be left for a maximum of 1-2 hours per day if i went shopping.

But I did enquire as to wether he settled ok when left and he also would have another dog for company. When I wasn't in, he slept with my other dog on my bed. Sometimes he couldn't even be bothered going out when my other flatmate came home at lunch to let them out!

The kennel where he came from was a big one and they admitted to only having time to have each dog out for 10 mins a day, and this was the only attention they got other than someone putting their food in, or the ones who needed medical attention :(

x

6. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I totally agree, I worked in a shelter for almost 2 years and saw loads turned away for certain reasons.

I tried to get a rescue dog before I got Maya and 2 rescues both told me no, because my back gate was unsecure even though my current dog barney was never let out unless someone was there. The odd thing was I never came across a rescue that would not home to me because of an unnueterd male.

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I know of people with working dogs who would take on a rescue to run alongside their dogs; they'd be housed, have good food, and be trained as well, but rescue centres won't let them have a dog because it would be kennelled rather than living in the home. I can't see why a young fit dog wouldn't have the time of its life being part of that sort of environment, I can understand it with an oldie that perhaps doesn't need to have a change in lifestyle.

8. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Those blanket policies are quite ridiculous, you cannot judge dog owners just according to their routine.

Most dog owners I know in France work full-time, and nobody sees it as a problem.

In my opinion its all about the time you spend with your dogs, how you spend it rather than the time they have on their own.
    I know quite a few people around here who own dogs, stay at home all day and yet barely ever walk the dog or interact with it..whilst I also know quite a few dog owners who work and are out around 6-7am to give them a good walk before they leave them alone... The working dog owner will often come home feel somewhat guilty to have left his dog alone for some hours and will enjoy even more the quality time they can have together comes the evening or the week-end!
    And then you also have the option of dog-walker if needed.
    After all working has its advantages; usually it means more money and although money isnt everything, good quality food needs money, nice toys needs money etc etc.

Its a shame people get turned down by certain rescues only on that basis.

xx

9. Dundee

Dundee Banned

While I find it a shame that some rescues have blanket policies, it must be remembered that many dogs come into rescue because they are being left alone for long periods and cannot cope. Why would anyone want to rehome a dog into exactly the same situation.

I don't agree with leaving dogs for long periods while at work unless arrangements are made to take the dog out while the owner is at work. I am saddened by the change in attitude that is seeing more and more full time workers getting dogs without taking into account the care for them while they are away. Simply put, dogs are social animals and need company. A cat would be a much better pet for someone who works and cannot make alternative arrangements.

PoisonGirl likes this.
  10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree Dundee. I know a family who got turned down from our local rescue because the kids were at school all day and the parents at work all day. They went out and got a puppy and it wrecked the house, got terrible SA and they got rid of it!

Whereas my oh's mum would really really love a gsd, she wont until she retires because she says it would not be fair on the dog and she couldn't leave it at home all day. So there are still some sensible people out there! Lol

While I wasn't 100% honest on my form for adopting Rusty, i would not have taken on a dog who wasn't ok with being left. And as I already had a dog who i had arrangements for my other flatmate to come home at lunch and take out, I knew it wouldn't be a problem. I definately wouldn't go ahead and get a dog who was put in kennels because of being left for long periods if it was going to be left more than 4 hours.

xx

11. gazt

gazt Banned

if you have a big garden why not build an out door run then the dog will be out in the fresh air while your at work give him a good walk before you go and he will be fine no pup wants leaving all day though

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Just to add, I do think the blanket policies are a shame, however, some of these rescues deal with so many dog/potential owners that they don't have the time/inclination to do individual checks. This is where the smaller rescues run by volunteers and breed rescues can be more flexible. I have rehomed two dogs into a full time working home through breed rescue who do have a policy of no more than 4 hours, but these dogs had each other for company, were used to being left. The arrangements had been made for someone to come in during the day. They also built a kennel and run for while they were out. These two dogs found a great home, but it would not suit the vast majority of dogs that came into rescue, but individual circumstance and the individual dogs were taken into account.

13. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Speaking as someone that has worked with a big rescue and now volunteer for a small local rescue I can see both sides. As a small rescue we have the luxury of being able to spend time and energy matching dog to owner, we usually only have 5 dogs at a time looking for homes (although the last few months it's been triple that!!!). Therefore we are able to work around the 'rules'. We absolutely do not rehome puppies to working homes and I myself wouldn't ever take on a puppy while I'm working full time but other than that our rules are flexible. And we aboslutely wouldn't rehome a bitch to a home with a uncastrated male and any rescue that would needs shooting!! We rehome to homes without gardens or homes where there are young children, and certainly to working homes (bloody hell I work full time and have 5 rescues and 2 fosters at the moment!!). We interview the adoptee's before they are given a choice of the dogs, we then make suggestions about which dog would suit their family best, but as I said this is a luxury that only a small local rescue can do.

Big multi-national rescues just do not have the resources, funds or time to cherrypick owners to dogs so HAVE to have rules, it might p*** you off but you being annoyed is better than a dog being bounced back to the rescue or even worse!

14. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Speaking as someone that has worked with a big rescue and now volunteer for a small local rescue I can see both sides. As a small rescue we have the
    I completely agree.

I think there is a thought that any home (that loves a dog) is better than the dog staying in rescue, but this isn't true. It's better that the 'right' home comes along rather than rehoming to the first person that shows an interest. I'm always shocked at how many pets on this forum have gone through quite a few homes. Often not through rescue, but the freeads or on the internet. People can get away with this constant rehoming, thankfully rescues put an end to that and try to find a forever home.

15. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Recently seen a rescue home you can pick a dog up there and then if you supply some bills and ID - also subject to a welfare agreement (whatever that may consist of). Did suprise me though....

16. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Sadly some don't have enouth rules and some don't even do homechecks, sadly I got Maya from one of those places. She had not been spayed, I had no homecheck and I could have easily packed her into my friends car before paying for her, all I did was test her with barney and walk her up and down a road, I was not asked any questions except my details for her microchip and to sign a piece of paper that you could barley read due to a bad printer.

17. r_neupert

You know what though - despite that i'd probably still go there and look to get a rescue dog in the future. Mainly because of the title of this thread....

Yes probably wrong.... but i work full time and myself and the oh bend over backwards to make sure our pup comes first. Put our circumstances onto paper and being sent through a big machine computer will no doubt say no. Doesn't mean i can't give a dog a great home though.

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Could you do me a favour and Pm where you got her from? I suspect I already know but just out of interest!;)

19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Good for you! If you want a rescue then there is one out there for you! It might not happen instantly as some people want but for people like you who are determined it will happen. There are many little rescues who understand that people have to work and it doesn't make it the wrong home, it might be an unsuitable home for a certain dog but there certainly will be another dog that will suit your home life perfectly! I wish more people saw it the way you do. Thank you you've restored some of my faith in people. ;)

20. r_neupert

Exactly.... I was looking to go to this home anyway, they're open to visitors to just take the dogs out for walks to keep them company. Seems like a really nice idea, so we'll probably do that just to help out for a bit and see what comes through the door, no rush is there...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice