Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue GSD - potential health probs??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cleo38, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I am thinking (more dreaming at the moment!) that when we have moved to a bigger place & settled in I would really like to think about getting another dog.
    I know that it's all in the future at the moment but I'd really like a GSD (I've already been looking at the GSD rescue web sites :frown:).
    Obviously it all depends on the dogs available & loads of other considerations but just wondered if health issues are something I should take in to consideration purely for financial reasons? I know you take pot luck with all dogs from a rescue centres to a certain degree but from what I've read GSD's seem to suffer more health probs - is this correct?
    Just wondered if insurances do cover in the event of any serious heriditary/non heriditary issues for all breeds equally or do they rule out certain cover for certain breeds? Or does it depend on the insurer?
    Sorry for all the questions but I know there's alot of GSD owners on here who may be able to give me some advice.

2. I have my dogs with direct line. However my rescue GSD has Anal furunculosis and because I found this before she was insured she isnt covered. Plus Anal furunculosis is very costly and there is no cure... The down side with GSD's are their health problems like Anal furunculosis and hip dysplasia.

Good luck.:)

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It's something I'm really going to have to consider as we would (by moving) be getting a bigger mortgage (so also bigger utility bills) so as well as the usualy expense of a second dog the potential probs of having a dog that suffered more health issues than usual.

Really the dog would be a companion for Toby so it will ultimately be the most suitable for him but I would still really love a GSD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice