Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue Girl

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ZoeM, Jun 25, 2019.

1. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hi lovelies,

It's been forever! (Well a year abouts since I last logged on to say hi!) I have a rescue foster cat who I have the pleasure of looking after. She had been straying about a month and was being fed by neighbours, until one realised she was looking rather full at the sides. A few days commenced and she is now in my spare room and bathroom, getting settled in and eating me out of house and home! We visited the vets on thursday and the vet confirmed she was pregnant, she could feel 2 kittens at least, and the closest I got to being given an estimate Time of Arrival was 'Not this weekend'. I have had another estimate of 3 weeks from our experienced cattery manager so I am just chilling.... for the moment.

I work full time, but have taken a week off as soon as I am able - I have also negotiated having some last minute caternity leave if I find she is struggling and I really can't come into work. They are pretty strict on that sort of thing, so I count that a blessing.

I have a birthing box all ready and she seems so much better settled than she was on Thursday so I am hoping she's not been stressed too much to lose many kittens. She's on high protein dry food, but refused to eat high protein wet cat food, so we are mixing wet kitten food with the high protein dry. She is drinking plenty of water and happily going to the litter box. I am hoping to dissuade her from having kittens in the bottom bathroom drawer but it is a favourite so far! :rolleyes:

She has stopped hissing through the door at my very gentle unobtrusive young man, Kole and really doesnt seem fussed by him. She saunters about with tail held high.

I was hoping to get some sort of camera set up, so I can keep an eye on her from work and was wondering if anyone can recommend a wireless one that can operate on batteries. (as so far she is preferring my bathroom to the main spare room).

Any advice, very much appreciated. I of course have read avidly about what to expect and what to look out for but undoubtedly I'm going to be a very anxious gran. Hah.

Here's a pic of the little lady too :) Oh, and we have called her Miss Sherlock.

Zoe xxx WhatsApp Image 2019-06-23 at 15.34.28.jpeg

2. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

She is beautiful! I do love a Tuxie. We use Arlo but it really isn’t cheap, it has a dual purpose as kitten cam/ house cctv whether we have kittens etc.

3. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Hi Lily, thanks so much for the recommendation. It looks perfect! It will mean I can check in on the kittens as well, and can be a back up for my anxiety when my house alarm goes off when the moglet is all done :)

lillytheunicorn likes this.
  4. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

So I got the cat cam set up, it was a cheaper option than above (only 35 pounds) but very happy with the quality and it was pretty easy to set up. It does need a power cable, but takes USB so I am hoping to connect it to my USB power bank if I find the cable too annoying.

Attached is a screenshot from my phone of the little Miss settling for a snooze in a very sunny spare room. :)

webcam shot.jpg

She is fattening up and her skin getting tighter, but lop-sided. Is this normal in cats? Definitely feels like she is carrying an extra kitten on one side.

#4 ZoeM, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    sabbirhasan likes this.
  5. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

My little sweetie seems intent on using the bathroom drawer to birth in, she's gone in a few times and trashed the newspaper I'd put in there to line it, and got the bedding all messed up. She's not at all interested in the other nearby two boxes, even the one that I think is perfect. Clearly, its not the most inconvenient thing she can birth in, but it will be awkward for her getting in and out round the back of the cupboard. She managed to get up to a 6 foot shelf thing earlier in the week and I had visions of kittens falling like lemmings off a cliff. I've moved the cat tree now so she can't get up there.

Any ideas on how to persuade her to not kitten in the drawer? Apart from actually taking it out? Hmm, maybe I could take it out and put it on the floor. But then she'd probably want to use the top drawer then.

She is such a little sweetheart, she seemed so uncomfortable in the early hours this morning she couldn't settle and in the end fell asleep with her head in my hand. This weather can't be helping much either.

sabbirhasan likes this.
  6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have found the only way to prevent them from having the kittens in an unsuitable location is to remove whatever it is or block access to it entirely. Can you just prevent her from going into the bathroom?

I have relented on a few occasions with particularly determined girls and then just moved kittens and mum to a place of my choice...that may not suit a nervous, first time 'mum' however.

7. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Thanks @gskinner123 for the advice!

I have just spent half an hour trying to take the drawer out to no success! So what I thought i'd do is make another kittening spot more attractive! I dont really want to shut her out of the bathroom as it can be another door away from my two cats if she is feeling particularly stressed.

So I set up a lovely cosy kittening bed in the corner of my room that I've seen her skulking around in. And then I got all excited ten minutes later when she disappeared and i thought she'd got in it.

Kittening Spot.jpg

But no.... she preferred next to the kittening bed! Of course hahah.

Choice of bed.jpg

chillminx, Matrod and SbanR like this.
  8. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Could have cried today. I spent about 20 minutes grooming her all over, she loves it so much. It must massage her back as she has tremendously stinky farts afterwards o_O But then, she was half asleep and I had my hand lightly settled on her side bump, just watching because everyone is saying I should be seeing movement.

Well, I saw felt one better, I felt a little bump press into my hand. I moved my fingertips lightly over the bump and I swear I felt the tiniest tiniest little kitten foot.. and then again. My heart has melted. I am gone. :Bawling:Bawling:Bawling

9. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Awww, what a really lovely experience, little kitty feets :Cat do you have any idea when she is due?

ZoeM likes this.
  10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I love feeling them wriggle and tumble under my hand. One of the nicest feelings ever!

ZoeM and spotty cats like this.
  11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Feeling and watching babies move is the best, especially in the final day or so when they’re super active.

She may not choose a spot until it’s time, and you may get a chance to guide her. I’d keep her out the bathroom.
    The box could be too open, can you close the top and cut a hole in the side?

OrientalSlave likes this.
  12. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Gosh, SC, mine turn into sloths the closer they get to labour. At 2-3 days to go they're so tightly packed that I can barely feel any morement at all. It worries me as I then overthink things and convince myself that the whole litter is dead. Never the case though. Just mums packing them in. Wish mine stayed active right through.

13. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

I think she's getting ready tonight so a few days to go. She has eaten and eaten all day but not really fancied much tea though she seemed keen initially.

She's been in and out of a little cat hideout thing 3 times in the last hour, so I've put some paper down in there and she's padding it loads and purring for no apparent reason. I don't mind if she goes in there, it can be binned when she's done and I will pop her in one of the bigger more comfy boxes with the lid up (thanks for the idea @spotty cats :D

Her belly seems to be lower than it was, less high up on the sides.

Could be nothing of course. I'm going to bed now but will keep an eye out on the camera for a few hours and if things progress I will just stay up.

Trying not to get too excited haha.

xx

chillminx, Matrod and lymorelynn like this.
  14. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Ooooohh good luck!

15. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Nothing this morning, and she is as ravenous as ever! Think I'm going to be like this until she goes lol

16. spotty cats

Trouble is for every sign there’s girls who do the opposite :)

Belly dropping however is always a good sign it won’t be long.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  17. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

We have milk tonight! This means its really soon isnt it? She's not eaten as much as she has been eating and she isnt really bothering nesting, just wants to chill with me. :D

She looked a little waddly when I cammed in on her this afternoon, which I thought was cute and her back legs look as if she's trying to cross them, sort of. She is pretty unphased so far which is great.

#17 ZoeM, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  18. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately it's not always a reliable sign. Some of my girls over the years are absolutely full of milk a week prior to giving birth and others no milk is detectable - they are totally 'flat' underneath - until a day or two after giving birth.

ZoeM likes this.
  19. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

Argh! The expectation is terrible hahah

spotty cats likes this.
  20. spotty cats

:Hilarious They keep you on your toes while waiting.

Most of mine get milk a few days before, one would get hers 7-10 days prior. At least we usually have mating dates though :)

ZoeM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice