Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue dogs - do you remember

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Apr 19, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

For those who own rescue dogs do you remember that moment when she/he decided they like you and want to stay? Bella has acted like a lodger since we got her but about a month ago she decided she likes me, that she is interested where I am and what Im doing, and she now does that following thing (to the toilet, kitchen, everywhere really). Its a lovely feeling because I wasnt sure she would ever truelly trust me as she had so many homes so young, but she does trust me now. She no longer wolfs her food because she knows shes not going to be hungry again and shes lost that frantic, nervous look she used to always have. So when was your dogs moment?

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I bet that moment was one of the best in your life, wasn't it? I have never rescued a dog, only cats, but I can tell you that when a cat that has been living rough comes and curls up next to you on the bed, that feeling is great.

3. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

For the first few weeks Jet had to be touching me, I couldn't have a moment to myself. So I think the first time he realised he was safe and loved and everything was good, was the first time he let me pull the loo door shut with him on the other side.That was such a big moment for him, he knew I was going to come back and even though he couldn't see me he felt safe.
    I know that probably sounds a bit silly to anyone else. I think it was one of those moments when you had to be there to undertand the importance of it.
    But that was his moment of knowing he was home.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Same here never rescued a dog but our cat came to us a stray and sometimes I waken up with her lying on top of me stroking my hair ever so gently! Guess you could say she likes being with us. :tongue_smilie:

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The look she gives me now is the same one Henrick gives me, just pure love and trust. Although shes doing her funny sleep barking thing at the moment where she lies there barking so hard she moves across the floor, while she is still fast asleep, so maybe it isnt love and shes just gone mad :crazy:.

6. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

As mine was Craven's 5th home in the first year of his life.:mad: It took a while for him to bond with me,but the things I thought were important stages were the first time he came and sat on the same sofa as me and sat next to me instead of at the other end.
    Also the first time he chose to sleep in my bedroom,as when I first got him he had to sleep in my room to keep him separate from the cats,when he was fine with the cats he could sleep wherever he wanted and all doors were left open,but the first time he chose to sleep in my room with me was special.
    Even last week after 14 months he did something special,when he was sitting next to me he put his head on my lap for the first time.
    When he does something like that to show he trusts me,I tease him and say 'you like me' in a girly voice and I'm sure I can see a smile on his face.:)

7. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Ohhh, bless Bella :001_wub: that's lovely :D

Nero took his time settling in, it's been slow, but steady. He's what I like to call foux-independant. He pretends he's independant, but he likes to know where I am all the time, and loves to curl up next to me on the sofa, or on the spare bed in the spare room/ office while I work.

Amber has taken time to settle in as well, but from day one she was fragilely trusting, it was heartbreaking, she'd snuggle into us, and go to sleep like a puppy, in a heatbeat, on us- but she still flinched as though she thought we'd hit her whenever we moved too quickly. It's better than it was, but the trainer we had in said that a lot of her issues are really, really deeply ingrained- she must have really suffered. But she is happy with us, and it might take months with our new training, a lot of which is trust-building, but we're kind of at the final hurdle of getting her as happy as possible :thumbup:

8. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I think I can honestly say we have had Millie 14 Months now and it easily took 6 months for her to realise she wasnt going anywhere and life is quite good here.

Her big milestones were to be able to relax / lie down in the garden and not be scared we were going to leave her out there.

To actually seek out our attention / company rather than prefer to be alone in the kitchen.

To take food from my OH hand - Had a weird thing about males and dont want to think why. :mad:

She really is my baby and it was so rewarding seeing her gain trust and develop into the lovely dog she is now.

Now we have started all over again with our Bear. Although only 3 weeks in he now sits, lies down and gives his paw. Granted he is alot more likely to do this when there is a treat involved but hey its a good first step. :) I cant say he looks to us for support as such yet, he certainly doesnt come when we call his name :p but every now and again when we are sitting in the living room and he is sprawled out on the floor he looks up at you with his big brown eyes and I swear he understands, he knows we love him.

9. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

When I took the OH and lads to pick Jude up (passed away) she came walking into the rescue room and licked my youngest son on the nose, when we got in the car she jumped in the back seat and curled up inbetween the lads, mum said she was like she'd always been with us.
    Loki ran in the house gurgling and howling and bouncing. :rolleyes::
    We got really lucky in that respect :)

10. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

I haven't ever taken on a rescue dog but your stories above are so heartwarming and lovely and those special moments are so nice to read about - Well done to you all for taking on what have turned out to be such gorgeous pets :thumbup::thumbup:

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I can remember with Red(rescue), it was the day he stopped howling and barking at the back fences every night because he didnt want to be here.

Percy (rehome), well he bonded with me in the car on the way home and has loved me every second since.
    I remember the first day he fetched a ball, that was such a proud moment :001_smile:

Rocky is still settling in I think. He's lovely and devoted but I dont think he is quite comfotable yet.

12. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

i remember when Misty decided she wanted to sit next to us on the sofa rather than sleep behind it. Was a beautiful moment took her 12 months to do. when she stopped cowaring and being scared of any of us, started to wag her tail My heart sored.

Then we we brought candy in she got even better!

13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You are all wonderful people. Sorry, I am not a-hole crawling, but I admire anyone who takes on a rescued dog. I am, quite honestly, afraid to do so in case it doesn't work out and the dog has to go back. I would never forgive myself. A cat is different, something can always be adjusted for a cat:thumbup1::thumbup1:

14. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Scruffy came for foster in December. She barks at everyone she sees- even people she now knows well- but she didn't bark at me, ever.
    I dont think we decided we were keeping her-she decided she wasn't going and thats it!!
    Apart from Molly all my animals find me-even the cats. I went to England for a funeral a few years ago and came back witha dog

#14 kat&molly, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  15. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

With Ely he loved us from the moment he came home so it wasn't so much an affection thing but it was when he was brave enough to go for a walk with us without panicing. It was a lovely moment. :001_wub:

For Gypsy she was more reserved and wasn't really bothered by our comings and goings - the day she was excited to see me when I came home was lovely.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

With Ziggy she became quite seriously ill nearly a month after I got her. She had to stay at the vets for 3 days on a drip, and when I visited her she didn't seem to take much notice. The day I went to pick her up though, she was brought in and she sat in front of me and wagged her tail so much her bum was going everywhere. Before that, she'd been quite cautious and reserved. A second epiphany came about 3 months later when she was terrified by a friend who was quite innocently waving a long spirit level around as he talked. I realised Ziggy thought he was going to hit her, and got him to put it down. After that, she seemed to trust me to protect her.
    These days she stands up on her back legs with her front legs on mine, turns her head sideways and presses it against me. She doesn't do licking or much else in the way of overt affection.

17. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

When I first got Alfie he was completely shut down, didn't wag or lie on laps, was terrified of being left and showed hardly any emotion.:(

It took six months for him to completely relax to the point that he would wag whenever he saw anyone, lay on laps at every opportunity, could be left alone with Otto for up to 4 hours during which he just seems to sleep and became really cheeky and playful.:D

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Rehome- it honestly took bear a good 6months before he really settled down, after a few week he bonded with me although not 100% but it took a long time for him to trust and bond with oh

I think we were his 4th home by 8 months, his eyes were sad looking for a while it was my neighbour who said 'aww he hasn't got sad eyes anymore'

He's defo my dog unless my mum is up here he adores her lol

19. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I am so pleased for you, i remember the story of how you came to keep her, and am so pleased it has worked out so well.

I guess Ruby is a rescue, (homed as a pup returned to breeder for two months then to us), and she is settling down and we sometimes wonder if she remembers what life was like before us, and with the times she has been to the vets with us, whether she really loves us.

We think she loves us and is settled, and we really hope she trusts us and knows she is as important to us as Rolo, we do wonder if the first gundog chap to have her wasnt the nicest to her, we have noticed huge changes in her and have had lots of comments from others about how wonderful we have been for her, so i hope so!

20. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

For Grey, it was probably when something just clicked with him and he stopped going for other dogs on lead, he would be on lead, see a dog and when it got too close he would rear up growling, baring his teeth, no doubt it my mind that he would have bitten, he got into a few offlead fights aswell.

After about 3 months he just stopped, he still pulls towards other dogs, but in an 'oh hello!!!!' kinda way :lol: If he's unsure then i step in front of him and he's happy to stay behind my legs, I dont think he trusted me before, and once he realised I would protect him, he knew he didnt need to fight

Keyu has only been here a month, and she still bolts her food, and isnt happy for me to be near her when she has a bone or something like that. We're working on it, but I have no idea how long it will take, how anyone can starve a dog is beyond me :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice