Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue dog pooping

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tiggytigz, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Tiggytigz

Tiggytigz PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I have a rescue mixed breed dog from Romania, we have had her since she was 6 months and she’s gorgeous. She has developed a habit of waking a few times in the night to go for a wee and/or poo. I’m looking for advice as to how to stop this please. We haven’t changed her food but I’m wondering if this could be the issue, too much? Not the right food? She will always try to eat my German shepherds food if he leaves any! She isn’t overweight and we do stop her from getting his food
    Thank you

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

How long have you had her, and how is her daytime toilet pattern? Is this a new thing? Could she have a UTI?

Torin. likes this.
  3. Tiggytigz

We have had her for nearly two years and this has been nearly every night for last few months. She very rarely poops on a walk and will wait until she’s home. she doesn’t mess indoors but if you ignore the night time call, she will wee and poo and then go back to bed! She seems very healthy and happy

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

With any change in toilet habits it's worth getting a vet check.

Then, I'd do three things.

First, take her out last thing and make absolutely sure she pees, and poos if possible but I appreciate that is harder.

I'd put a few kernels of cooked sweetcorn into one of her meals. If that's what she passes during the night, I'd start pushing that meal to later (in stages) so she can hold it until morning.

I'd also set an alarm for just before her night time toilet time and proactively take her out. Do that for several nights. Then, make your alarm about 20 minutes later for several nights. Then 20 minutes later again. The idea is that she learns to anticipate being taken out, and holds on for that - and simultaneously you are training her to hold for longer and longer. And the good news is you will get a free hour later this month when the clocks change.

Lurcherlad, Sarah H and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. Tiggytigz

Thank you so much for responding.
    She is at the vets on Tuesday for her vaccinations so I will ask. Yesterday I changed her last meal from 3pm to 6pm, she was up twice in the night, midnight and 2.30am but let’s see tonight. I will try the last walk tonight too, thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice