Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue dog needs to gain weight

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by foxyfruit, May 8, 2010.

1. foxyfruit

foxyfruit PetForums Newbie

5 days ago I took on a boxer who is approx 18 months old, and has recently had a litter. Her coat is dull and patchy and she is very underweight. The last "owner" said its due to the high protein diet, as she was on puppy food.

She is now settled with us, and very happy with our bulldog. I have put her on the same diet as his ie Landywood's meats (tripe, chicken etc) with supplements (courtesy of dorwest herbs)

Basically just wondered if anyone had any hints/tips on helping her gain weight, she looks awful and I wanted to try and get her bodyweight up sooner rather than later. I know its early days and I will be patient but if anyone has some wonder cures from previous rescues I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've found lamb breast is good, but particularly heart, lambs, or even better, beast (beef) is brilliant for putting back weight onto dogs that have dropped it. I've helped a few people swap over onto raw, and have found with people who work their dogs, at the end of the shooting season their dogs do very well with the addition of beast heart, really helps them make up for all the energy they've spent.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

agree with sleeping lion. Lamb breast, tripe, and hearts are all excellent for putting weight on.

For coat shine and care you could give her some evening primrose oil as a supplement.

Try not to ask her to gain too much weight too quickly, you want her to rebuild her muscles at the same time as i assume they have wasted too.

xxx

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Satin Balls are a treat that dogs love and adds weight.
    In ours we add.

Soak a small handful of oats in a tub of Fresh double cream (or jersey cream)
    then stir in 1Ib of cheap mince (you want cheap as it contains more fat)
    then add in 1 jar of peanut butter,half tub full fat cream cheese (Philidelpha)
    then I add some beef suet and then the yolks of 10 eggs (the whites I add a bit to each dogs meal so as not to waste anything)
    Mix it all up and then I make it into plastic tubs freeze it and get one out every day.

5. love_my_pets

love_my_pets PetForums Member

Never heard of these before but will give them a try with my staffie pup! I switched his food over (lost my job and couldnt afford to buy his regular food, had to switch to a less expensive one) and since then he has dropped a bit of weight. He has never been stocky but now looks a bit skinny so i'd like to fatten him up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice