Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue Dog - Help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Joelyboi, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Joelyboi

Joelyboi PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums.

Me and my girlfriend bought our own home last year. We both love dogs, she especially does and has grown up with them. She had her last dog since he was a puppy and he died a few years ago whilst she was at university. Naturally, she was devastated. I have some experience with dogs after we fostered our uncles dog whilst he was away for a few years.

Now that we have bought our own home and are settled (decorated), we really would like to adopt a rescue dog.

Naturally we are only going to apply for the dogs whose temperaments and requirements for where we live, but every single time we do, we never hear anything back. I can only assume that is because the demand is extremely high..

We live in the North West of England near Manchester and Liverpool in a suburban area. We live on a no through road across the road from a small primary school. We have fields across the road and a lovely park just a moment's walk away.

Does anyone have any suggestions about independent rescue dog rescue homes in the North West as I visit websites of various rescue charities and centres daily looking for any new arrivals and they just seem to get taken down straight away.

Thanks

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Demand is extremely high currently, coupled with the fact many are having no visitors and so standards may be held higher than they normally would (requiring you to live within a certain distance and having a vet reference) to try and get the best possible permanent homes.

Have you contacted anyone to just discuss what type of dog you're looking for and have your details put on file?
    Provide as much info as possible, including pictures of home and garden and if possible a vet reference and then hopefully you'll become a pre-approved home and so get a dog that bit quicker if one comes in being suitable.

EmCHammer and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Joelyboi

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. We have sent a fair few requests off to rescue centres across the north-west with detailed descriptions of where we live. None of the forms I have filled out seem to have an option to upload photographs of the house yard and surrounding area.

I'm terms of the dog that we would like, we are very open minded. We don't want a dog that is to big as we only live in a terraced house and whilst there are fields and parks close by, we want to be able to train the dog in our yard off the lead. The yard is not big but also isn't small and it is reasonably long but it is completely paved. We really like whippets, but we don't think our garden walls are high enough for a whippet. We have looked at Staffies and lots of other cross breeds. We really wanted to get a cockapoo, but the puppies are extremely expensive at the moment due to the demand and I cannot justify paying over £2000.00 for a puppy when there are dogs in need of a loving home.

In terms of a vet reference, I have never heard of that before. I will ask my girlfriend about it but could you explain what you mean by a "vet reference".

Thanks

6. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I volunteer at a small dog rescue in the north west, and can confirm supply is WAY higher than demand. most dogs are getting about 50 applications as a minimum and others over 100. We do try to reply to everyone who meets the criteria, but we do say will not reply to those who don't meet our rehoming criteria, we just haven't the time as we all work full time as well. I hate having to disappoint people, in many cases its not you just not enough rescue dogs for the demand atm.

We are closing the applications on some of the dogs really quickly as we find ourselves overwhelmed, one dog we had 60 applications in 2 hours.

When applying it really helps to put as much information as possible, those applications stand out, i.e. have you a garden - yes gives us very little information about you - the good applications give lots of detail on things like working hours, how work around hours left in the day, what can offer for a dog/ the dog in question (i.e. when we had a border collie a family that says walks 30 mins a day would not be the best, but families who have shown a bit of knowledge on what a BC might need and could be interested in activities are more appealing). When we have a big strong bull breed, we are likely to discount the 75 year olds that apply. It might help to talk about previous experience and read the write up of the dog. No matter if we say not to be rehomed with cats, we still get people applying with cats who say it will be OK their cat is used to dogs (yes but the dog is not good with cats else we would have said - love nothing more than being able to post a cat friendly dog). If some of the dogs have special requirements it helps to say how you might manage them, i.e. one dog we have is a very bad traveller but people will apply from miles away and then say how they love going out for day trips all the time - that dog, without further work on his car issues is not going to the the right one to fit into that lifestyle.

We don't hold a waiting list ourselves because we haven't time to speak to everyone to have a waiting list, and then to find that they may have then got a dog from somewhere else - and as a small rescue we may only have 6-8 dogs in max, at the moment all of our dogs have interest. If it helps we sometimes go back to people where a first potential family has fallen through and find at alot of people have found other dogs, so its just perserverence and patience at the moment.

I never mind people following up on an application either, at these times we are having to send out blanket responses so people at least get some feedback.

Burrowzig, tabelmabel and Joelyboi like this.
  7. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Because the rescues are sometimes not being able to get to know as much as they'd like they're asking you to ask the vet to give an overall impression of you as an owner.
    Obviously if its your first animal together it's not possible but they're looking at if you did have an animal previously basically did you take it to the vet when needed or were issues possibly left too long so welfare was compromised etc. I think it's just an additional step that's there to help weed out a lot of those not really serious in adopting.

8. Joelyboi

Thanks,

This is really helpful. I have tried to be as detailed as possible in the descriptions but I will.summarose your points and re-write the profiling information I send out.

I do understand that the demand is extremely high at the moment. Just really crossing our fingers that we find a suitable dog and can actually get an application submitted.

Thanks

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You mention that you think your wall is not high enough for a whippet. I think a lot of rescues have a blanket 5 or 6 foot garden fence so that might be one reason why you are not getting considered. One of my poodles can get over a 4 foot 6 fence, the other would not jump 2 foot. They are both smaller than a whippet.

Arny likes this.
  10. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

This.

If you're unsure about boundaries - now's the time to get everything at least 5ft-6ft while you wait. As others have said, demand is insanely high and something as simple as being between you and someone with a fortress of a garden with 8ft all the way round is going to be the deciding factor. Even dogs that previously may have waited months to find their new homes ("boring" looking, elderly or behavioural challenges), are finding places within weeks. If you have any doubts in your home or garden - dog proof to perfection now!

Consider yourself being compared to people are absolutely perfect for each dog and that's what you're competing with at the moment. I suspect everything will change come next spring when tier systems change or vanish, we all get vaccinated, everyone wants to go on exotic holidays and suddenly working from home for many may no longer be an option.

Blitz likes this.
  11. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

My garden isn't enclosured at all. We managed to get round the rescue's requirement by putting gates up in our courtyardy area cutting off access to the garden completely but still having a small area she can be.
    Currently though rescue's can afford to be choosey and I doubt we would have been considered just from a form despite having had a dog for years previous.

#11 Arny, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Blitz likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would never pass as I have cattle fencing along the back of the garden as it is a field boundary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice