Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue Dog barking at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by TheHawks, May 4, 2021 at 7:27 AM.

1. TheHawks

TheHawks PetForums Newbie

Hi all. Am new to this site.
    I have a rescue dog from N Macedonia & have had her for 2.5 weeks. The 1st 2 weeks she was really good overnight, not hearing a peep out of her. She sleeps inthe lounge/diner area as don't want her in my bedroom as this is a safe(ish) haven fir the cats!
    The last few nights she has been growling/howling/barking every so often & I have had to stay in the room with her as I don't want her to keep barking because of the neighbours. Any suggestions as to what I can do as I'm not getting much sleep. I take her out a couple of times a day & have been trying to do some basic training with her. I am enquiring about getting a trainer but in the meantime I feel as though I am failing & wondering if I've done the right thing. But I do know also that it is very early days.
    Sorry for the long post!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It can take a while for rescues to fully settle ime.

To start with she may have just been exhausted or overwhelmed and slept well.

An outside noise may have set her off or she is feeling anxious alone.

As she has to stay downstairs I would make yourself comfortable down there with her and help her settle.

Does she still wake and bark when you’re with her?

#2 Lurcherlad, May 4, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Moved to Training and Behaviour.

TheHawks likes this.
  4. TheHawks

Yes she does

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack, my rescue sighthound, did this a few times...., was seemingly fast asleep and would leap up and bark, on high alert.

He was a stray, so that made sense as he would have felt very vulnerable at night.

Luckily, it didn’t happen too many times with him and he settled well. I just reassured him and he would settle back to sleep again.

Maybe having a night light on would ease her anxiety or a radio on low to muffle outside noises?

JoanneF and TheHawks like this.
  6. TheHawks

Tried the radio last night but didn't work so will try a night light aswell.

It must be a night thing inparticular as during the day she hardly ever barks.

Thank you.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice