UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have recently taken in two cats that were going to be put down if they were not rehomed.

They are older cats and their health is not in the best condition. Anyway one of them seems to suddenly bite into the other. I don't think he een knows he is doing it. The other will be growling or screeching in pain but he won't realise until I gain his attention and snap him out of it.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hi

Were they housemates before?

I wonder if the biter may be in some pain somewhere? Cats can be aggressive if in pain. It may be worth asking a vet, and if nothing is obvious running some blood tests to rule out inflammation like arthritis.

Hope someone else can come up with useful suggestions

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
If the cats have not been used to living together in the past, before they were rehomed with you, then it is just straightforward territorial behaviour from the aggressor, who is basically trying to drive out the other cat, as he wants to be an only cat..

They may have got on OK in the Shelter, as cats often suppress their territorial instincts in such an environment, only for their true feelings to resurface in a domestic environment.

As they are older cats, it is fairly unlikely you will get the aggressor to change his behaviour at this point in his life. However, you could try Feliway plug-in diffusers around the house, as these emit calming cat pheromones. These can be bought from amazon.

Also maybe try the bullied cat with a course of Zylkene which is a supplement that calms stressed cats. It is non-addictive and has good results, though I have not known it eradicate territorial behaviour, so it may not be worth giving it to the dominant cat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.