UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! We recently adopted a 12 year old cat called Djo. He weighs 4.8kg and I am confused about the amount of food we should be feeding him. His current food is Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Moderate Calorie food as he developed IBS whilst in the cat shelter and they think it was stress related. He has dry food in the morning (but not sure how much he should have!) and a wet pouch in the afternoon but he does meow and I worry that he's still hungry.

Thanks for your help and sorry to sound stupid! We have never owned a car before.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Welcome to the forums, please feel free to post a pic or two of your new addition for our viewing pleasure:D. The amount of food is normally instructed in the packaging. Feeding wet is healthier than dry food for cats, however having IBS, I´d wait for the experts on cat nutrition to give you more advice. I give my 6 kg cat a pouch/tin of wet in the morning, another in the evening and some dry in between. This is only because I work far away from home for a lot of hours a day, on weekends he gets wet at meal times too. By the way, good job for taking an older cat.

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
There should def be a feeding guide somewhere on the bag - it's often on one of the sides and can be quite small!

This may need adjusted depending on his overall body condition (ie is he under / over or perfect weight).

Is everything eaten straight away or does he tend to graze?

If the former, then it could be that he's still hungry and I'd maybe increase the amount of dry very slightly or add a pouch in the morning as well and see how he does

Congrats ..... lovely to hear of an oldie getting a home:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! He tends to scoff the lot when we put the food out but he also looks over his shoulder quite a lot so I'm not sure if he is still hungry or whether he has had to "fight" for his food at his previous home.

I will try upping the dry food in the morning and see how we get on.

Yes he is an oldie bless him! His owner of 12 years passed away which is why he was at the shelter.

I have tried adding a pic hope it works!
Xx

Attachments

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Awwwww he's lovely!:)

Yes, it could be that he maybe has had to compete with others for food so does tend to scoff everything as soon as it's put out ..... you'll soon be able to tell by whether he gains / loses weight.

Wishing you many happy years together:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.