Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Rescue cat from Peru

Discussion in 'Cat Rescue and Adoption' started by Anita1234, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Anita1234

Anita1234 PetForums Member

BDBA5466-FE49-47C4-A228-4C4CBFDE0C85.jpeg F08702F4-D5AA-4B19-9498-B2B5F29BEE33.jpeg hello well a few months ago I adopted two cats that turned up at my garden in Peru , I have been living in the UK for more than 10 years but returned to Peru because of my mother’s health, one is a bit old and have kidney problems and she is very attached to me but the other one is still young and I think I can find a good home for her , she is about 1,5 years and I don’t have the space to keep her in the UK where I live with my partner in a small flat in Surrey near Woking , she likes to be indoors but also outdoors in a garden where she can’t leave , she doenst know about roads, so ideally she would have to be an indoor cat or she would have to stay in a house with a cat proof garden , she was a stray so she is a bit nervous and wary of new
    People but very affectionate always purring , I’m bringing her all the way to Peru and I will pay all the costs, paperwork , etc myself , it will take at least a couple of months , she is spayed, hope to find someone that will let me see their house before adopting her and will allow me to visit from time to time to see if she is doing ok

#1 Anita1234, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Anita1234 - they are very pretty cats! It's lovely you are helping them. Are there no cat Rescues in Peru?

I imagine you have already looked at the UK govt website about how to import a cat from a country outside the EU?

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

It is a long flight for a cat from Peru to the UK - about 14 hours including loading time. Quite a lot to put a cat through..

You'd have to take the cat to your own home when you arrived in the UK, and keep them separate from your own cat. Then try and re-home them at that point

I think it is really kind what you are thinking of doing, I am only concerned how it will work out for the cat and for you. Rescues in the UK are full to bursting with unwanted adult cats, and it may not be so easy to rehome this cat from abroad.

3. Anita1234

No there are no rescues in a peru at least in the city I’m , if people want to find a home for a cat they have to do it themselves posting online , hmm I’m a bit worried if I leave Peru for good I won’t know if she is ok , I won’t be able to visit her , and I think people are more responsible with their pets in the UK, hope to find a home may myself for her if not try a rescue , I understand it won’t be easy as she is not super friendly , there are companies that do all the paperwork in Peru , but I’m worried that she will have to travel as cargo to the UK all the way from Peru , but I have seen some pets travelling to Europe as hand luggage from Peru , I would like to travel with her like that , I may have to ask the company for advise to bring her with me to Europe and then from Europe to the UK maybe she can travel as cargo as it’s a short distance

4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Please let us know how you get on @Anita1234
    and good luck.

5. Anita1234

I booked flights for her and me , Arequipa - Lima -Paris and then will go in a car to the UK from Paris via the Eurotunnel so she can go in cabin all the way , the UK doenst allow pets in cabin , a company is doing all the paperwork for me , I’m just terrified of travelling with her as I think she will cry all the way and I will get in trouble, or she will escape going through security if anyone can recommend a good harness and travel bag please , I may have to be adopt her if nobody wants her , I live in a flat with another cat so I hope they get along

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well done being able to have her in the cabin with you. I would give her a calming treatment the day before the journey. Not a sedative. but something like Beaphar Calming spot on, or Zylkene or Yucalm. Can you get any of those in your country? They are all sold on Amazon.com..

How long is the flight? Will you be able to have a break overnight in a hotel in Paris so she can eat and use the litter tray?

7. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

@Minuscule took her lovely cat “Ren” to France, so you could ask her about a suitable carrier maybe? I think many harnesses aren’t reliable, so be very careful. It’s a shame she can’t be microchipped before you leave Peru, or can she?
    It’s very good of you to do what you are doing, if there was no chance of a good home in Peru, so I hope it all goes well.
    When you say you worry she may escape through security, do you think security may check her over? Could you put a lock on the carrier? You could insist on a small secure room to be checked over in, before taking her out of the carrier, that would be a reasonable request, then put a lead/harness on to be extra careful, before fully opening the carrier?
    Minuscule said only certain hotels accept cats and you would be wise to check in advance.
    If you get stuck, you’re welcome to have her in a pen in my garden until homed, but you would need to supply the pen. I could supply food and cat litter etc, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

#7 TriTri, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. Anita1234

Hello, I Have some zylkene that my partner brought from the UK, I read online that I have to get her out from the carrier to go through security x rays, I have to have her on my arms and the carrier goes alone with hand luggage , etc .
    As most cats are nervous i worry she will try to run away , I will insist on a secure room to get her out , she has to be microchipped before travelling , has to have lots of certificates to check she is in good health and doenst have rabies, etc , the flight is about 11 hours I think , thank you @TriTri , I hope I can find a home for her or my other cat will adapt to her ,it would be a good idea to have a break overnight but may be difficult to find a hotel and arrange everything

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think she would only be checked in a secure room.

She is unlikely to eat or drink on the journey unless you can take her somewhere quiet and safe such as a hotel room. If she does not want to eat it is important she drinks plenty - being in a plane is dehydrating.

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice