Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue Boxer - extreme dog aggression

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Boxer Mad, May 20, 2010.

1. Boxer Mad

Boxer Mad PetForums Newbie

Hi all, this is my first post here, hoping to find some info and help with regards to helping my 3yo Boxer who we adopted from a rescue, 3 months ago

history, pancho came from a rescue we where told he had no dog aggression issues, but he was wary of strange men, high vis jackets and hats, he didnt like this at all, and could get a little jelous

when we introduced the boxer (pancho) with our dog (fudge) for the first time there where a few snaps from pancho, nothing too major,

once we got them both home and over the course of a week pancho went for fudge 3 time's since that time there has been no issues between the two of them, they have settled and are best of mates, clean each other play ect they have a great relationship, can share toys, and food ect

our first worry came when we took the dogs out for a walk withmy sisters dog, who is fudges brother and pancho went strait for him, we seperated, and he was still trying to get at my sisters dog.

ever since then we have never let pancho off the lead when we know other dogs are about, but yesterday while out playign fetch a dog and his owner came onto the field at the far side, i didnt seem them but pancho did...he went strait at the other dog, nice at first calmly approched them, completely ignoring my recall

i was about 30yds away when pancho just completely unprovoked, attacked the other dog, (who had shown no aggression what so ever) i had to sprint to get to them both and tackle pancho off the other dog (old staffy). after i had him off the dog no other attempt was made by pancho to get to the other dog, who was walked off by his owner, and checked over, he recieved slight injurys to his ear and was bleeding

this has shocked both me and the wife, pancho apart from the dog aggression is perfect with my daughter, my daughter can for example pull his ears/tail ect and he wont raise a whisker(she knows she is not allowed too), she can remover his food while he is eating remove a toy while he is playing and nothing just shows what a good dog he can be!

we really want to keep him with the family but with this latest and quite scary episode and with our circumstances to quite dramaticly change with my wife being pregnant, we need HELP

sorry for the long post and im not very good at typing what i waht to say very clearly

thanks for the time

Richard

2. Boxer Mad

Boxer Mad PetForums Newbie

any advice help?

please!

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

You really need professional help in the real world, you have a strong powerful dog that is capable of doing a lot of damage, is the owner of the staffy reporting it do you know ?

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Definitely get some advice from a qualified behaviourist as soon as you can. I would also keep your dog on lead & not take any further chances of this happening again. You can get a long line to give him more freedom but without the risk of any further attacks.
    As for letting you daughter pull him around I really wouldn't let a child do this to ANY dog, even the softest of dogs has it's limits & you have only had yours for 3 months. Same with the food, you are asking for agressive behaviour if you take his food away from him. Just leave him alone whilst eating; I'd be furious if someone did that to me! :scared: This dog seems to be coping with quite alot of stress & winding him up will not help at all.
    Have a read through the sticky at the top of this section regarding dog body langguage http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/88630-dog-body-language-why-matters-so-much.html, there's ALOT of stuff there but take some time to go through it as there are LOADs of links which will be applicable & really useful.
    I have had my dog for about 4 months & although am not experiencing any aggression issue I am still llearning alot about him. 3 months isn't a long time to have Pancho so if you can start working on this now I'm sure you will start to make progress but do think you should have some one-to-one professional help as well as doing your own research.

#4 Cleo38, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice