Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescue border collie help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ciara cunningham, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ciara cunningham

ciara cunningham PetForums Newbie

So we have adopted a 4-5 month old female border collie from a shelter, she’s very traumatized as was found by a farmer stuck in deep mud under a trailer caked in mud, the shelter has tried their best to clean her but there remains patches of matted fur that won’t come out, if we ask a groomer to cut them out would her fur grow back?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Poor little girl. Yes her fur will grow back. Many dogs are shaved at the vets before operations and the hair grows back after a few weeks.

3. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

Ah, I totally sympathize, we adopted our BC x GSD called Clo at 5 months. She was a complete wreck. I took her to a groomer and she came out quite different colours! Anyway, yes her fur will grow back. Be careful of rushing it, she will not care at all if she is scruffy, she may not want to leave you nice people who have helped her!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If the fur is matted it can lead to skin infections as well as being painful. It's not about a dog having a scruffy look, but the well being of the dog. If she's constantly in pain from matts, although advise is usually take it slow I would rather a dog was pain free and in a happier place so training can begin.

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

have a word with the groomer and tell her you would like to stay

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Have you tried to do it yourself? I’m thinking that if she’s already traumatised then groomers may be one step too far.

Depending on where the mats are, have you tried cutting into them at a 90 degree angle to the skin (ie point of scissors towards the skin) several times, then teasing out?

Have you thought about asking if the Vets can do it under mild sedation?

Just a few thoughts on this; it depends on how you think it might go.

lullabydream, JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. ciara cunningham

ciara cunningham PetForums Newbie

Just an update for anyone who wanted to know
    She’s doing a lot better a good few of the Matt’s cake out and a load she has bitten out (?) herself, we didn’t want to try right away as she was so shy and I’m not sure if it’s normal for dogs to do that but if it works it works I guess
    Before and after of her when we adopted her 2 weeks ago to now although you can’t really see her in the recent picture she is so much happier seeming now which is good

Attached Files:

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

What a pretty girl she is.

9. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

That is one gorgeous collie! But yes, she does look a bit nervous. For info, she will definitely try to clean out the matted fur herself. Just be careful she doesn't get carried away and make it sore. After a walk, my Clo will pull burrs out of her tail and paws and drop them over the side of the sofa! I should probably get her to sweep up too!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice