UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Request recommencation for builders of large custom catios

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bobthebadger 
#1 ·
I am looking for a substantial sized catio for my Maine Coon boy of 3 years old. Although I intended to let him out the house one day, I never did as I worried he would die on the nearby railway tracks as a previous Maine Coon did, or be stolen. I have eventually decided he can't be inside without stimulation, and want a catio for him to spend the days in safely. I have a concrete patio outside, but in the summer I have an outdoor hot-tub which I keep on there which is 1.8m x 1.8m so either the catio would have to be super large to accommodate both the jacuzzi, the old brick barbecue, pots etc; or I would have to moveable so it would attach to my patio door catflap in the winter, but for several weeks in the winter I would drag it to the lawn area and hopefully attach a mesh run to join it to the door. As this is not a typical setup, I suspect a custom build would make more sense than something off the shelf (I could be wrong though). The concrete area is 487cm wide and 415cm deep, although after a depth of 262cm the width shrinks as it ends in a semi circle. I have attached a photo for illustrative purposes. I live on the Kent / London border so if anyone can give any recommendations I would be obliged. I'd also be interested in good ideas for items to keep him stimulated once there. He does love looking out of open windows and especially bird watching. Thanks for listening.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
We have a catio that is 9.5m long and 2.5m wide - it's also over a patio.

We built a deck and then built what essentially looks like a veranda over the deck and enclosed the space with a mixture of wire mesh and wood latting (to make it look a little less like catio and a bit more like veranda). We have chairs and tables for people out there and then various climbing ledges and lookout spots for the cats. It's very well loved by all - cats and humans alike - and though the summer we're all out there all day.

This is an album of some pics. The first few and when it was half the size it is now but towards the end of the album are pics of it more current state.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ETGHG1k2fvKzakFF7

Edit to add: so maybe you can just get a fixed catio built that will accommodate the hot tub.

#7 ·
We have a catio that is 9.5m long and 2.5m wide - it's also over a patio.

We built a deck and then built what essentially looks like a veranda over the deck and enclosed the space with a mixture of wire mesh and wood latting (to make it look a little less like catio and a bit more like veranda). We have chairs and tables for people out there and then various climbing ledges and lookout spots for the cats. It's very well loved by all - cats and humans alike - and though the summer we're all out there all day.

This is an album of some pics. The first few and when it was half the size it is now but towards the end of the album are pics of it more current state.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ETGHG1k2fvKzakFF7

Edit to add: so maybe you can just get a fixed catio built that will accommodate the hot tub.
Did you do it all yourself or have a company to assist in part? Would love to know who if the latter. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.