Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Request for advice on 'kitten accoutrements'!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by seasidejules, Aug 6, 2009.

1. seasidejules

seasidejules PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

This is my first post so I hope no-one minds that it's a request for advice! I've been 'lurking' over the last few weeks as I don't actually have a kitten yet but am hoping to adopt a moggy towards the end of next month.

Anyway, I am of course very excited and enjoying making preparations! I've got the basics organised but have been on the Pinky Pawz website (thanks so much for that link, by the way!) looking at a few little 'extras' and am considering buying the catnip pillow and the Petstages heating pad.

I suppose my question really is, (and sorry for taking so long to get to this part!), is catnip a safe/pleasant thing to give to a kitten and does anyone have any experience of either of these things? Are they useful, and do you consider them 'good buys'?

Very many thanks in advance! Xx

2. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

It is generally thought that kittens don't react so strongly to catnip under the age of say, 6 months. However one of my 8 week olds has been playing with a Yeoww catnip banana (courtesy of PinkyPawZ!) and certainly seemed quite hyper after it.

Some of the Kong toys are great for the cats - the feathery ones are pretty cool and one of those tracks with the ball in is always a good bet.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new baby!

3. seasidejules

Thanks for the tips! I will certainly be visiting the PP website more than once I feel!

It is interesting about catnip. There seem to be conflicting views on whether it means very much to kittens under 6 months and I'm honestly not sure whether to wait until he/she is a bit older or just give it a go straight away - ah decisions!

The heating mat seems like quite a good idea though - I'm hoping it may help with the transition to a new home, and also be of extra benefit in the colder months. I would just use a hot water bottle but I'm a bit concerned about potential chewing etc., which could be rather dangerous!:eek:

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! Xx

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I've never used a heating mat for my kittens or cats, but I know some people do. I agree with what Kaz has said, but just wanted to check - have you got a scatcher or even better a cat tree/activity centre/scratcher - they love them & get loads of use out of them too. You can get some in the likes of Pets at Home, but you can get much better ones online or at a cat show. Couple of links for good ones - Russell Hardy - CATSCRATCHER.COM , Kalvern - Kalven Cat Scratchers , or Zooplus - Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.co.uk. I find that the best ones are those covered with carpet & sisal. Hope this helps & have fun with your new kitten! :D

5. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I have bought a heat pad for the winter months, cannot wait to try it out :D hopefully jinks likes it,,,as for catnip it never interested my cat as a kitten or an adult cat:)

6. seasidejules

Thanks so much for the replies - much appreciated!

Munchbunch, yes, I have got a scratching post and will probably buy the fish scratcher from PP, although obviously it's not vertical unless hung somewhere. Is this likely to matter? Has anyone else's cat used this with success? Sorry to ask so many questions but I do want to make sure I get things right!

I am now thinking I may give the catnip a miss until he/she is a bit older - it does seem rather redundant anyway considering a kitten's likely hyperactivity! Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice