Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reputation -- Curiosity

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by londongal796, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. londongal796

londongal796 PetForums Senior

So... I'm a bit curious and will probably get myself in trouble here, but, I've noticed something lately

A fair few very very new people (around 50 posts or less--sometimes with one or two posts ONLY) are appearing on the forum, posting on sensitive topics, and yet they have already got one or even two 'reputation' green boxes.

I've been here how long? And I have very few reputation boxes. I was under the impression a lot of people needed to add to your reputation to get past the first box, unless you lucked out and got someone with a ton of reputation points.

I'm just wondering if people are really quick to add reputation to new people to encourage them to stay... ...or if someone is doing it to try to help these new (potential trolls) 'fit in' and look less suspicious.

I really, really, REALLY hate trolls.

2. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Hmm you have me thinking now, I have just had a look on another thread and I see what you mean. I never paid much attention to it I thought it went on your contribution and likes etc...

3. londongal796

If you look at anyone posts, you'll notice there's a dark green bar which has the time the post was made on the left-hand side, and if you look all the way to the right-hand side, you will see a what looks like an image of a set of scales, and also a warning sign (!).

The set of scales is how you can add positive or negative reputation to a person.

The warning sign (!) is how you can report a particular post if it is against the forum rules.

Half the people on the forum don't really even know what reputation is ... so it's amazing to see so many new people with such fantastic reputations!! :yikes:

Bette and lilythepink like this.
  4. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Can someone give me hint on the thread?

I think when you join you start with one green rep automatically.

5. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

It was just random not any particular thread :)

Waterlily likes this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I never look at join dates when giving rep, if I see a post I like and want to rep, then I do.

7. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

I've been here since 2010 an haven't got none :cursing: lol

Jazzy, Waterlily, vivien and 2 others like this.
  8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Yes you have :D

2lisa2 likes this.
  9. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Haha than you right back at you :D

moggiemum likes this.
  10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am sure everyone starts with one little green square, which very quickly changes red if they are given negative rep

11. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I sometimes wondered if some of the more controversial long-standing members with relatively high rep are setting up alternate accounts to start sensitive subjects, and giving their alter egos rep...

I always rejected this theory whenever it surfaced in my mind and called myself paranoid, but now that other people appear to notice, too, I start wondering if I am not so paranoid after all.....

12. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Really?? I know people do it on facebook. I have only been here just over a year but until someone started a thread on rep a few weeks ago I didnt even know what it was!

13. londongal796

Those are basically my thoughts...

Cookieandme, thanks for pointing out that everyone starts with one green rep box. I couldn't remember if they did or not.

But there are definitely a few people with 2+ when they were at the 50-ish post mark (though most of them have since jumped to about 100 since I posted here). There's one with like, 6 boxes now? and about 100 posts. They must have said some really important and amazing things to have their reputation grow that quickly!!! :eek:ut:

Cookieandme likes this.
  14. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

I'm going to get shot down for this but i think they are past members who are trying to claw their way back in,there's obviously a group of them who keep trying to rejoin and are just repping each other so they look like they have been around for longer than they actually have.

londongal796 likes this.
  15. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

I didn't think you could keep repping the same person though? I know I've been informed I must 'share the love' before I could rep someone again.

I'm no expert though, I still don't fully get the whole rep thing :eek:

16. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

curiosity got the better of me as I thought that would be impossible, but you are correct 99 posts and a whole host of little green boxes :rolleyes:

17. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Feel free to pm me so I can have a nose :D

18. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

I step onto catchat for 1 minute and im instantly baffled, 50 posts and 2 green boxes.....how the hell does that happen, its taken me 2 years to get to my box situation :shocked:

19. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Londongal I've just given you rep for this post because up until now I'd heard it mentioned but didn't know how to give rep! :blush::D

20. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

hmmm, sounds wierd now!

mind you i hardly ever remember to do repping - and only check mine once in a blue moon

most of what i type is bunkum :eek: :D

i is not much with contributing profund insights :shocked:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice