UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a Golden Retriever puppy in the next 2/3 months, and I really don't know how to navigate my way through all of the horrible breeders out there :001_unsure: and find a healthy, happy puppy from healthy, happy parents.

I have heard even breeders on the KC assured breeder scheme can be a little dodgey (and any amount of 'dodgey' is far too much when it comes to animals).

I feel completely stuck...I have read many of the threads on what to do; i.e. extensive questioning, health check certificates, see parents, observe surroundings and so on, but would really hate to even see unethically breed pups, so I'm keen to try and be sure a breeder as ethical before I even inquire.

I am based in Sheffield.

Can anyone recommend a reputable Goldie breeder for me in this very general area, as in, the north(ish) of England?

Any tips/advice/reccommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Do you want a working or show bred Goldie? They are worlds apart in looks.

I'm not far from you, and the OH has lots of contacts with working dogs, so if you're after a working bred goldie I don't mind asking him for you.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Have you seen 'find a puppy' section on the KC website I presume? I wouldn't immediately discount them - breeders that are on the list need to follow rules and regs etc so won't be bad breeders.
See if Lynn Kipps has any litters planned - Bonnie came from her so you know she's a good breeder. She lives in Scarborough so not a big distance to travel for a good puppy.
wheatcroftgoldenretrievers.co.uk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this. I'll have a look on the KC website, but where you got Bonnie from sounds like a good potential- especially if there is a chance that he/she will be an easy(ish) pup like you said Bonnie was! I will see if they have any pups on the way!

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
The best place to start looking for a pup of any breed is the relevant breed club as members must adhere to codes of ethics which are often far more stringent than that imposed by the KC.

There you will find all the health information gathered by the Breed Club Health Representative(s) and what tests are available and recommended for breeding stock etc.

As this breed is numerically strong you might find that the GR Breed Council is the place to locate much of the info you seek.

Golden Retriever Breed Council

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
I strongly urge you to wait for a response from Tashi. She not only shows and breeds Goldies but has the welfare of the breed at heart, and knows a huge number of breeders both good and bad, as she's been in the breed since before she could walk I believe

She will put you right :)

It may take her a while to reply as she has problems in her real life at the moment :)

Sorry personal recommendation from Wiz201 seems good

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you want a working or show bred Goldie? They are worlds apart in looks.

I'm not far from you, and the OH has lots of contacts with working dogs, so if you're after a working bred goldie I don't mind asking him for you.
Hi,

is there a difference in the temperament or needs of a working or show dog?

I kind of want my dog to be 'good for nothing' except being my companion! :)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Hi,

is there a difference in the temperament or needs of a working or show dog?

I kind of want my dog to be 'good for nothing' except being my companion! :)
That depends entirely on who you speak to, temperament is supposed to be at the forefront of breeding, unfortunately both those in show and working aren't always honest with themselves about their dogs. It is good to get a recommendation, I suggest you have a look at the differences between working and show, I prefer the working lines, but then I've seen them out working, and also think they are more like the dog they were originally meant to be. Where as those in the show ring are much more substantial and it's usually a sea of cream colours rather than the rich russet which I love to see.

This is an original working type golden retriever, not a very good photo and obviously B&W, but you get the idea hopefully:

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Then the last thing you want is a dog from working lines. :)
Not necessarily, not every dog bred to work is an exorcet missile that has one thing on it's mind. A well bred retriever is used as a peg dog, I've seen peg dogs sit all day and not get one retrieve.

Edited to add, of my dogs, the daftest by far although she has bags of ability is the heavily show bred chocolate girl. She is very driven and has to bounce all over you, jumps like a kangaroo and is less biddable than my dual purpose bred flatcoat, a breed which has a reputation for being particularly loopy and yet she is incredibly laid back.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Then the last thing you want is a dog from working lines. :)
That's actually a very common misconception. ;)
I was chatting to a person I highly trust about my Flatcoat puppy and wasn't sure which way to go, show line or working line. I said to her I didn't think a working Flattie would be a good idea and she said quite the opposite. The working lines tend to be much calmer and more biddable. Having seen some of the divas that flounce around the show ring (dogs, not handlers ;) ), I would be wary of describing show dogs as the calmer option to working lines. ;)
I imagine the same to be true in the other Retriever breeds.
As it turns out, in an ideal world, I would pick a dual purpose dog, with a leaning towards the working side.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I was chatting to a person I highly trust about my Flatcoat puppy and wasn't sure which way to go, show line or working line. I said to her I didn't think a working Flattie would be a good idea and she said quite the opposite. The working lines tend to be much calmer and more biddable. Having seen some of the divas that flounce around the show ring (dogs, not handlers ;) ), I would be wary of describing show dogs as the calmer option to working lines. ;)
As it turns out, in an ideal world, I would pick a dual purpose dog, with a leaning towards the working side.
I wasn't referring to calmness, more drive and possible exercise requirements?

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I wasn't referring to calmness, more drive and possible exercise requirements?
A dog's exercise is what you make it, if you walk it right from puppy hood, it needs more exercise than a dog where you're just spent time training and dabbling as a pup. Rhuna is very driven the minute a dummy appears, she literally shakes, but she's still a laid back dog around the house.

I would entirely agree with you about spaniels, they are very mad, but with retrievers, it's very much down to the lines they are from. Edited to add, that is said with my very slightly sarcastic hat on ;)

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Working goldies do have more drive, but I'd have thought a show type would be better.
I'll also recommend Stanroph Golden Retrievers Anne Woodcock is a very popular breeder/showing and she owned Bonnie's father Stanroph So It Had To Be.
For a first time owner, I'd be more bothered about the temperament and health of the pups and the mothers rather than worrying about the colour (I love my cream goldies:D).

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
A Flattie is a different being all together

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.