Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Report on first introduction: what do you think?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by claire484, Jul 28, 2009.

1. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

So we introduced Skylar our 4 year old rescue cat to Layla our new 12 week old kitten tonight.

We placed both in the same room, with Layla in her soft crate. Skylar came in, froze on the spot and stared silently for a while. We opened Layla's crate and she slowly came out , and Skylar left the room to lie down outside it. Layla slowly followed, and Skylar let out some long low meowing noises but still was lay down watching Layla. This carried on for a while, and then Skylar went downstairs to the living room. I gave Skylar some ham as a treat, and Layla the entered the room. At first Skylar went to her favourite spot to sit and watch, as well as making a few more of the meowing noises, but then she came back to eat the ham from my hand and continued to eat whilst Layla explored the living room. Then for about the next 20 minutes or so we let Layla move around, whilst Skylar just lay down watching and occasionally making these deep meowing noises when Layla came a bit too close (maybe 1 to 2 foot away).

We've put Layla back in her safe room now for a rest, and Skylar moved after about 5 mins or so and had a good sniff around where Layla had been. Now Skylar is resting in one of her favourite spots with her belly exposed.

What do you think? OH and I don't think it was too bad, Skylar was lying down so we think she can't have felt that threatened, and Layla was still having a good exploration (including a short game with Skylar's toys). Can hear Sky munching on her dinner at the moment, so don't think she's sulking too much! Any opinions or advice will be more than welcome!

Claire

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

She's probably still wary!

I found with our intro that the current cat was quite scared! She hid & then once she got over that she sat & watched & followed the kitten around. I've had to keep an eye open following that as she tends to swipe the kitten's feet from under him or pin him. Usually because she wants to groom him & he's too busy to let her.

3. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

Thanks, I think she is a bit wary. We tried again for half an hour this morning, same response- Sky just lay there, paws tucked under carefully watching Layla and making the deep meowing noise when she got a bit too close. Will keep trying, Layla doesn't seem bothered, she is enjoying exploring the house and playing (has discovered running up and down the stairs is great fun, eeek!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice