Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Replacement

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, May 17, 2010.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Why do people try to replace dogs? :(

I've known this one guy for ages, was always a nice guy and liked Maya. He had a lovely little yorkie and she must have been 8-10 years old and although she had no teeth (i've never known her with teeth-never asked tbh). The owner is maybe early 80's/late 70's and today I noticed he didn't have Bonnie his yorkie, instead he had a lively little cairn puppy about 12/14 weeks. I was with some other owners and they mentioned no one knows what happend with bonnie just that he states he had her put down and the new puppy bites (he's telling people she bites but obviously it's only playful) and is destroying his house.

I finally caught him around wanting to see his nw pup, asked about bonnie and he stated the same he had her put down. He ws very blunt and quite rude and obviously angry. I asked what the name of the new puppy was......he'd named her Bonnie, told me coulden't I read (she had a jacket on..even though it's very hot but it had bonnie on it and I just thought it was his old dogs jacket). He mentioned she's a cairn x yorkie and nothing like his old dog was even when she was a puppy.

He was getting quite high rate and mentioned that she goes for him, growlling and snapping (while he's saying this she's rolled over having tummy rubs trying to play with the other dogs and just being a puppy). He eventually dragged her off, lifting her off the ground a few times by her harness so she was "flying".

He was rambling about putting her down if she dosen't knock it off or whatever else and mumbled other stuff I couldn't hear. Another dog a young super friendly westie ran off to go and play, he's called aswell (rusty loves him). The owner shouted for auswell to come back but the guy started pushing his foot out at him shouting,"P!ss off aswell! if you don't get him back he'll be dead along with her". We managed to grab aswell who just thought this was all a great game and we walked off.

It's so sad, she is such a happy free spirit little puppy and obviously just too much for him, aswells owner mentioned the way he's acting is going to ruin her wonderful personality if he doesn't get rid of her before then.

Maybe the guy was just having a bad day but she seems far too much for him :frown:

2. rona

rona Guest

You said at the beginning that this guy was a nice guy.
    Do you think, he may still get upset talking about the dog he has just lost and is covering that by being mister grumpy at the moment?

3. SpringerHusky

Yes, that woulden't shock me that's why I haven't dissed the guy. I know how frustrating it is having a "perfect" dog and then having a puppy who's into everything and it's very stressful.

I'm hoping I catch the guy in a better mood, I've known him for many years and never known him to be like this. It's just so sad for the new bonnie (I think was a bad choice in names, it likely doesn't help matters).

4. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

This is a long shot but do u think if you offered some advice he would take it on bite inhabition and advice on her chewing , i'd work on just having a conversation with him and work my way round to the dog and if he mentioned the problems then u could offer him some help , some elderly folk dont like asking for help as they think there been a bother and his attitude the other day could be because he getting upset with what the dog is doing

5. rona

rona Guest

He's of the generation that doesn't like to show emotion, bet he's a big softy when he gets the pup home though

6. SpringerHusky

Found out some bad news; He had his last dog put to sleep after they found a minor heart murmur and apparently the dog before that was a toy poodle and was also put to sleep after it broke it's leg. I got talking to a neighbor of his, who has known the man for many many years and he told us today (he has his own dog a jrt) about his new dog. He went an got her the next day after his yorkie was placed to sleep.

7. rona

rona Guest

Just Gossip :(

8. SpringerHusky

I don't know, but this guy speaks to him on a daily basis and is a kind of friend as apparently they've grown up together.

I'm waiting to catch the guy himself and try and speak with him. I'd like to offer him the chance to take his dog training classes, it only costs me £2 and it may help him, if not show him where it is if he feels he can get there.

9. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

This was my point in the thread i made before.. people who try and replace theres dogs and name then the same!! grrr he sounds like a right fool

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice