Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Replacement of Orijen

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Owl, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

Hi. I have been feeding my dog with Orijen 6 fish. Her stool is great, coat is great. But, I don't think I can afford it this month ($122 for a bag). I am considering of switching her kibble. We tried TOTW Wetlands and High Prairie before.Before that we tried Orijen LB Puppy but she did very bad on it, also she didn't like it. While she was on these kibbles, she always had loose stools(except on TOTW Wetlands), almost like diarrhea. I got her stools tested many times to find the reason. I couldn't find a vet to test her for allergies so I switched to Orijen 6 fish and she has been great since.

The problem is, it is too expensive for me to buy this month(probably the next month too). I am considering about switching to Chicken&Burbank Potato.Chicken&Burbank Potato is a lot cheaper and it is on sale now. I can't decide what to do. I don't know if she would like Chicken&Burbank Potato (she is very picky in dry food, but eats everything else). There is no sending samples in my country so I can't ask for a sample.
    Would switching her from Orijen 6 fish to Acana Chicken&Burbank Potato be very bad for her? One is a very good grain free dog food, the other has grain and chicken. If you were me, would you change it?

There is only TOTW(just $10 cheaper than Orijen), Acana, Orijen, Blue Buffalo(only chicken&rice) and other too much grain foods like ProPlan, Hills etc. (also almost as expensive as TOTW)

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Can you get Acana Pacifica? It's a grain free fish based food.

3. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

It is only $10 cheaper than Orijen. I would definitely get it but they are all very expensive here and I don't have enough money this month. I have been fostering a kitten with herpes and she needs to have surgery (one eye will be removed and the other eye will be operated so that she can see better). That's why I can't get my dog her favourite kibble :(

4. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

What about the original Orijen formula? Its quite a bit cheaper than the 6 fish variety

5. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

I checked it out now. It is $110. I don't know if their formulas are close but my dog hated Orijen LB Puppy. Though I switched it very gradually and slowly, she had diarrhea for too long on it.

So you wouldn't feed your dog with Acana Chicken & Potato? I don't want her to eat grain food but this one is on sale :(

6. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

Acana is good, I would feed that to my dog. Its only got oats in it, no other grains

7. Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl PetForums Newbie

Your other option might be a smaller bag of orijen and making it stretch with some ground meat - beef, chicken, tripe etc, or some chicken necks or wings - you can usually pick it up cheaply and then you'd be able to feed her 1/2 as much orijen until you needed to go back to just kibble :) rather then 2 meals a day (or one larger) you can feed just one of kibble or 1/2 the amount :)

8. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

Switching to the Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato won't be bad for your dog, it's still a good quality food, I for one would be perfectly happy to feed it to mine. As Pinkchi says, although it's not completely grain-free, the only grain in there is oats and it's at least a 'good' quality grain.

Can you get Applaws where you are, it's a grain-free alternative that is a bit cheaper than Orijen? Take a look at SixStar's sticky thread in this forum - 'Dry Dog Food Index'. Have a look at all the green listed foods (they are all grain free) and see if any of them are more affordable for you.

If you can't afford the Orijen, don't worry about it, feed your dog what you can afford, you've been giving him/her the absolute best quality dog food available, there's no need to feel bad at having to drop down to a food that's not quite so great, especially when you are still considering pretty good quality foods!

9. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

I just checked out the link and wow, there are many dog foods that I have never heard of. Unfortunately, almost none of them are sold here. The only dry food other than the ones I mentioned are like ProPlan, Hills, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Goody, Dog Chow etc. When I ask the vet which dry food to feed my dog with, he tells me ProPlan is the best etc. and it drives me crazy :) I will probably get the Acana Chicken&Potato. I hope she does fine on it.

Thank you I will give her chicken necks once a day so that Orijen can last a bit longer. But I read that chicken bones are like razor, they can rupture her intestines. Thats why I never let her eat chicken bones. Is it true or just a myth? I am talking about raw chicken. I never give her cooked bones.

10. Jerseygirl

I've only known raw chicken bones to be a problem when fed in excess with little or no meat, and then it forms more of a blockage then rupturing intestines.
    Things like necks and wings have enough meat to bone that it shouldn't cause a problem, and are often the bits of chicken of choice to offer puppies at weaning. If you are worried about bones, then you can buy ground chicken which will have either no bones, or minced bone which will go straight through :)

11. Where do you live? US? Once I know your country I can give you a more specific answer

12. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

I live in Turkey

13. Hmm can`t say I`ve ever been to Turkey :D I would try and continue Orijen if at all poss if not then the other food you suggested would be fine I imagine.

14. Jerseygirl

Does zooplus ship to Turkey?

15. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

I just checked. It doesn't ship to turkey.

I bought the Acana Chicken&Potato 13 kg + 2.27 kg(this was for free) and 10% sale. I will switch to Orijen 6 fish after getting my next salary.

Since she eats only fish for months now, should I try a rotation diet? I know she loves it but is it OK to feed her only one kibble for months? You know it has only fish in it. TOTW recommends rotational diet as I remember, should I try it like Orijen 6 fish, Acana something grain-free(chicken based) (she doesn't like other Orijens), Acana grain free food with lamb, then 6 fish again...?

16. Dave Hume

Dave Hume PetForums Junior

For goodness sake, take a look at trophy pet foods premium range, british sourced and made with excellent traceable source ingredients. I looked at Orijen as a possible competitor and don't rate the recipes at all for the price you are being asked to pay. you must be very affluent.

17. Owl

Owl PetForums Newbie

Look at trophy pet food premium range. Great idea! except I live in Turkey...
    I already told all my options. Other than Orijen,Acana,TOTW, Pro Plan, Hill's etc, all we have here is kennel food, which are mostly grain and chicken feet. I don't have many options. In my condition, Proplan, Hills,Royal Canin are the same price as Acana. Orijen costs more. So I don't want to feed her with kennel food either, I go for Acana.

She is only 20 kg so I can normally afford Orijen.This is the only kibble she does fine on (other than Acana, Blue Buffalo and Hill's, she tried all the available food here and she got itchy and diarrhea on most of them) doesn't have diarrhea, doesn't put on weight, her coat is shiny, her stool is lovely, she loves it, and she is my only dog so of course I am trying to feed her with what's best for her that is available.

18. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

You have got to be joking!?

Orijen, 80% meat and grain free compared to Trophy Hypo-Allergenic, 40% meat and contains at least 40% grain.

Orijen 80% meat and grain free compared to Trophy Premium Duck & Vegetable, grain free but only 25% meat.

There's a good reason why Orijen is £20 more expensive.

Owl, ignore this guys post, he's biased. If you want to buy the best you can for your dog, carry on doing so, just don't feel bad if you can't always afford to buy Orijen. It IS expensive, and there are other good quality foods available, not quite so high a standard as Orijen, but still good stuff.

#18 soulful dog, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  19. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

The Orijen sounds fantastic and I may just have to buy a bag to see how my dogs go on it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice