Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Replacement aquarium lights

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by Fish novice, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Fish novice

Fish novice PetForums Junior

While dealing with the maintenance of my daughter's Fluval Roma 200 tank today I noticed one of the lights has stopped working. Could one of you kind people recommend a place to buy replacement lights please ? preferably at a reasonable price.

Many thanks

Geoff. :)

2. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

what Bulbs are in there mate?
    My guess would be either a 30w T8 or a 24w/39w T5.

If its a T8 i'm not so sure but I would think one of the better known net suppliers would be good choice (seapets, swelluk etc)

If its a T5 bulb save yourself a ton and buy from Lampspecs. (They do sell T8 as well but unsure on cost as i've never looked).

If you can clarify the type and what sort of lighting colour you were after i can point you in the right direction (ie more bluey or white or red)

3. Fish novice

Thank you Dan. The next time I go to my daughter's place I'll find out exactly what the lights are and which one has failed. I've only just found out there are two different lights. I believe they are one Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8 and one One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8

4. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

Ok mate, is this the tank that has plants in? or just for show?

5. Fish novice

At the moment it has three plastic plants, a couple of pebbles and a sort of cave ornament, I do plan to add some live plants in the future.

6. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

Ok, well let me know when you find out what they are. I would suggest hanging on and putting 2 new bulbs in when you get the plants. Old bulbs don't tend to grow plants as well and some train of thoughts believe they can promote unwanted algae growth.
    I'd suggest a nice white bulb along with a more plant orientated one. I had brilliant results with a Sylvania Grolux from Lampspecs but it is quite a dull and red bulb so you would want a nice bright one to go with.

Have you had any more thoughts regarding your plant choice?

7. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

These are the best T8's for plant growth: Oceanic Light I changed to this a while back and it made a big difference over the standard Juwel ones I'd been using, looks better, and is slightly cheaper too.

Not sure about the best T5's. There was a huge discussion over it on the other fishy forum I use. I'll try and dig out a link if it turns out you have T5's.

I think the crux of it is that plants use light in the red and blue parts of the spectrum mainly, so you want a light tube that peaks in those areas.

8. Fish novice

^^^

Thank you Naomi, those are a very good price, did you put two in your tank ?

9. NaomiM

My tank only has fittings for one light tube. With two (especially if you can switch them on/off seperately), you have scope to experiment with different colours etc to get it looking how you like it - or just use 2 of the oceanic lights for optimum plant growth :)

10. Fish novice

11. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

Its quite likely that the second bulb you linked will be either 10-18k instead of 5k.
    Generally you want to stay between 4-10k for planted aquariums, going higher it tends to be a blue light more suitable for corals.

edit: it is indeed a 12k bulb. It will give off a nice bright white/slight blue appearance, but its not the best for growing tropical plants.

#11 Dan1234, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  12. Fish novice

^^^

Thanks again Dan. I've been to my daughter's place this morning and can confirm the two bulbs in her tank at the moment are 36 inch, 30 watt Power-Glo T8 and 36 inch, 30 watt Aqua-Glo T8.

Would two of the bulbs Naomi recommended be suitable or should I pay more and buy exact replacements for what's in the tank now ?

13. NaomiM

I'm not sure - possibly a difference in colour?

Edit - sorry, I see Dan's already answered better than I could do :)

#13 NaomiM, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

2 of Naomi's bulbs would be fine, really all you have to think about is the colour you want in the tank. As long as you stay under 10k colour then you'll be fine.

Narva 30W Oceanic Flora/Colour Aquarium Tube 3Ft 30 Watt
    Narva 30W Oceanic Light Aquarium Tube 5K 3Ft 30 Watt
    3 Foot Fluorescent Tube 30W Grolux 30 Watt

Basically you can mix and match any of those 3 bulbs, They will all do great for plants (The grolux probably slightly better, but the downside is the duller appearance) if money wasn't a object then you could get the 3 and play around to see which you liked best and keep one for spare.
    Either way one thing I like to do is just make a note on when I change bulbs, I have reptiles and things as well and I like to keep track. I wouldn't keep the bulbs longer than a year because you will probably find plants start to look unhealthy and algae starts to take over.

15. Fish novice

Naomi and Dan, many thanks to both of you.

Geoff. :thumbup1:

16. Fish novice

I decided to buy two of the lights Naomi recommended and have placed an order.

:thumbup:

17. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

Will be fine bud, don't forget pics when you get the tank all planted up.

18. Fish novice

Now that's strange, I popped into my daughter's place briefly this morning and the light in her tank which had stopped working had risen from the dead.

:confused:

19. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

Well that's good news for now, but I'd still invest in them for when you put the plants in. I'm not sure of the age of your current bulbs but your unlikely to get good results if they are aged.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice