Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Repeated urine infections

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Siskin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this.

Isla is six and a half years old and was spayed when she was about 18 months. During the last year she has had 3 urine infections, all cleared up quickly as soon as she had antibiotics. Prior to this she had never had any urine problems. My vet decided he would like to investigate further and today she went in to have an x ray and ultrasound of her bladder.
    Bladder looked fine and no stones were seen. However he did notice that the neck of the bladder was wider then normal and set further back, he doesn’t know why. A further catheterised wee sample has been sent off and I’m seeing him again a week on Friday. I queried spay incontinance but that was not thought to be causing the repeated infections.

Any ideas?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think maybe it is one of those things. I get them too for no known reason and just keep antibiotics at home for when they are needed.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have no idea if dogs can be given cranberry juice but it seems to be beneficial for humans to prevent UTIs.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Dogs and cats can be given cranberry.

I used to give Georgina Cystopro whose active ingredient is derived from the cranberry plant.

https://www.protexinvet.com/cystopro/p6

CystoPro
    Supporting Canine and Feline Urinary Health

5. Siskin

She has cranberry and if she shows signs of an infection I use bmannose which is the main constituent in cranberry they helps in bladder infections. It sort of fobs it off for a while but once an infection is starting it’s difficult to get rid of it. A/bs work very quickly.

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this .
    KIm cat used to get idiopathic cystitis and I used to give her a supplement that lined the bladder called Cystease.
    I dont know if there is an equivalent for dogs .

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think it can sometimes just be down to how individuals are constructed, which might be exacerbated with age. (We all get a bit more “relaxed” in certain areas as we get older ;)).

A thought - could she be transferring bugs from her back end during self grooming?

8. Siskin

Possibly, but she’s not a dog that licks herself a lot really.

She is a low squatter so maybe with the bladder neck being wider then normal she is picking bugs up more easily.
    I will be very keen to hear what the vet thinks when I see him nnest week, such a long time to wait.
    Apart from this she is fine in herself - apart from today as she’s still spaced out from the anaesthetic

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Siskin

The vet nurse I spoke to mentioned there could be treatments, but I won’t know much more until I visit the vet again next week

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this @Siskin it does sound simply like her biology but it's just madness it's only started to be a problem now.

kimthecat and Siskin like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I never lick myself and am not a low squatter!

12. Siskin

Are you not???

Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  13. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

So sorry that Isla is having this repeated problem. I wonder if her wider bladder neck could be the problem as you say, but I have no idea. Have you asked on the GR Facebook group. Maybe another Goldie owner has experienced it too. Though not saying it is breed related. Hope your vet finds some answers for you.x

14. Siskin

I have and one lady did think it was likely to be the wider bladder neck making it more susceptible to infection. However that doesn’t explain why it’s only started recently. Odd isn’t it

karenmc and lullabydream like this.
  15. lullabydream

Is it when you are at a certain place or anywhere as I know you travel. I suppose if its a specific place you can put it down to a bacteria in that area. Bacteria is everywhere as you know, for some unknown reason it could happen to be prevalent there. Depends what it is, how quickly it multiply before Isla shows symptoms though, as it could be say 24 hours or less with some nasty ones, others multiply slowly and therefore symptoms take longer to appear. If you notice a pattern.

Are you having a urine sample tested after you think she's OK, say a week after stopping antibiotics? If any residual bacteria is left then of course they multiply but again it depends how quick and fast these UTIs are occurring.

karenmc likes this.
  16. Siskin

The first one started when we were away in Dorset last October. No lead up to it, just her suddenly wanting to constantly squat and wee whilst we out wandering round Lyme Regis. She had been in the sea about an hour beforehand. Managed to collect a tiny sample the folllowing day and took her to the vets. Dip test showed infection

Repeated in March/April but a slower build up to the point where she was squatting a lot. Took sample to vets which again showed a urine infection on the dip test. We were at home

Third occasion was last month again at home, slow build up as I was dosing her with cranberry and b mannose to try and manage it, but eventually it got where she would squat for ages and not do anything, also had an accident during the night. Couldn’t get a sample off her this time, but took in a sample several days after she had finished the a/b’s. The results were clear.
    Vet took another sample today to send off for further testing - lots of different tests going to be performed rather then the standard uti tests.

Lurcherlad, karenmc and lullabydream like this.
  17. lullabydream

Fingers crossed but its still could be a mystery, and she's not an old girl either.

Can't be very nice for her, or you watching her squat, having accidents etc. Must be really uncomfortable for her

18. Siskin

It is. She gives you such big sad eyed looks when she's frantically squatting trying to wee.

I think she's a little tender from being catheterised which is bothering her a bit.

She's one of those dogs that's more affected by sedation/anaesthetic she's been in quite a stupor most of the day and is currently out for the count snuggled up with me on the sofa. Normally she doesn't stay long as she gets too hot, but she's been here all evening. Most of my previous dogs get over sedation very quickly especially my first one who wanted to go for a walk the moment she came home after being spayed.

karenmc and lullabydream like this.
  19. lullabydream

I have a collection of dogs that get hot and seem to move after a while, to collapse on the floor. It's always when I could do with a bit of warmth from them!
    If am hot or uncomfortable, or need the toilet they don't seem as ready to move though
    Hopefully she will feel better tomorrow

Lurcherlad and karenmc like this.
  20. Onaleash

Onaleash PetForums Newbie

Poor Isla, I do hope she feels better today. I have an 11 year old Bichon Maltese, Poppy, she was spayed last year because phantom pregnancies were making her ill and since then has had two UTIs, in July and September, never had them before. You mentioned spay incontinance, is this fairly common do you know? Poppy also cleared up quickly on antibiotics but I am puzzled about the urine culture tests. The second one again confirmed it was just a regular UTI infection and that the antibiotic given was correct, but this time the vet said there was still some e.coli showing, the urine sample was collected 3 days after the 10 day treatment finished. The vet said she would not prescribe anymore antibiotics at this time but wanted to press on with X-ray and ultrasound. Should not culture tests be clear of infection and if not continue with antibiotics? Your poor girl has been through this 3 times now so I expect you know a fair it about it, I find it all a bit confusing. It would appear from comments on this thread that cranberry may help so I will follow that link and try that. I also read somewhere that antiseptic wipes are useful if it is a case of bacteria building up in that area but have not been able to discover anymore about it. My vet did say that at this age it can just be one of those things and Bichons are prone to it but larger dogs such as your Isla not so much. Do you give Isla cranberry d-mannose everyday as part of her diet. Thanks. As you say, when they are ill with it they look so sad and morose, it’s such a shame. Hope Isla is much better today.

#20 Onaleash, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice