Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Repainting living room and hall. Wipeable paint?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terr, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Hi everyone!

I want to repaint my living room/kitchen and hall area in a wipeable paint. The dog makes a real mess when he does his little shakes and I get all sorts of unmentionable things on the wall. All the scrubbing as made the paint come away and revealed the boards underneath.

I live in a new flat and get the distinct feeling that there is only a very thin layer of emulsion over an equally thin layer of plaster. The walls are starting t look like something out of a horror film.

Could someone please recommend a cleanable paint that's not glossy? I need to do 2 entire rooms with very large walls so glossy is not ideal.

Also while I'm on a roll, could someone suggest a bathroom paint? The current corner wall is peeling. Is there such a thing as bathroom paint?

2. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

Your best to go & have a look in the likes of B&Q or Homebase as there is so many paints to choose from.

Yes, you do get bathroom paint, it's called 'bathroom & kitchen paint' which is wipeable/washable.

XxX

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

focus do a good kicthen paint that you can wipe down

they got a good range of colours aswell

i have some in the kitchen and must say i like it and the paint dont rub off when you wipe it

its not really glossy either

4. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

We moved house 5 years ago and stripped all the wallpaper off, knocked walls down etc, and OH caused a right blooming mess, but anyways, we painted the walls downstairs with kitchen paint. It works a treat and is wipeable and when cleaned it goes really clean - no marks left! :)

5. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone! Will grab a few tins of Dulux matt, some kitchen/bathroom stuff and get painting on Sunday!

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Silk is best for wiping down marks, but in a living room your better off using Matt, (you can wipe down Matt emulsions now days), Matt dont show up imperfect marks on any walls were as Silk shows everything up. Bathroom paint is more expensive but it is worth the extra money as it is good stuff. If you have paint peeling off in one corner it may mean you haven't opened windows to air the bathroom out when having showers or baths and condensation is getting under the paint and making it flake. (making the walls damp underneath) Rub that area down with fine sandpaper first so you aren't left with the edges of the peeling paint showing through the newly painted walls when it dries.

7. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Thanks for the great advice! I'd love to open a window in my bathrooms but there aren't any :( The steam is vented through a 'condensation controlled' fan system. Needless to say, it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

8. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

I did this with my kids rooms hall way & kitchen years ago, I used egg shell paint but different colours living room has washable paper on the bottom half, best thing I ever did but be aware once you use this paint you have to keep using it as ordinary paint doesnt cover it properly.

9. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I painted our w/c / bootroom in a wipeable paint, it was by Crown, their easyclean range which you can scrub and has a stainguard in it. It's been brilliant and is holding up alot better than the rest of the paintwork in the house :eek:

10. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

You could always bath in COLD water :eek: ;) :D

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I needs sizing then with walpaper paste left to dry out and then paint or else the new paint will come of as you are rolling it on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice