Renting with dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 17, 2017.

1. rona

rona Missing my boy

Who rents and has dogs?

Do you have to pay a premium to rent with dogs and how much above market price was it?

Are properties that allow dogs normally scruffier than those that do not allow them?

One of the local one bed properties is being rented out for £725 a month. My little brain is doing overtime trying to work out how much travelling around the country I could do for that+pension+little private pension when I'm retired :D

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Well my old place I rented allowed me to have dogs.

I was the first person to rent it..and I didn't have to pay anything extra and I got my bond back. I did meet the actually owners of the property, even though it was rented through a letting agency at the time. They were dog people!

I did however treat the house like a home..and so washing carpets etc is my normal thing but I didn't get them professionally cleaned...things have changed.

When I initially rented it...I was told that my dog could be a problem, but it wasn't.

This was about 10 years ago now.

Since the house is practically around the corner, and I am nosey...if I see it's up for rent I often have a nosey how it looks inside, and it's one of the few properties that stated they allowed pets. I don't know how many pet owners since me, though. I hope I with me being the first, and not damaging anything and keeping the place clean and tidy helped it's there for pet owners.

Rent prices are very much area dependent..so I cannot help much.

Is it dog trust with the list of pet friendly rentals?

LinznMilly and rona like this.
  3. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I rent with a dog. IME the houses are generally scruffier yes. I look about now and again to see what's available and there isn't much.
    You do usually have to pay an extra deposit for your dog, which I'm perfectly happy to do.The rent itself isn't more though no.

MiffyMoo and rona like this.
  4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Mine's housing association and they're all pretty much the same to be honest, it's down to you how scruffy they are really. I've found very few properties round here to rent privately with pets. And believe me, we looked!

Rents are area dependent. I've seen some that are around the same price we pay (£460 a month for a 3 bed house) and others that are up at well over £1000 for a 1 bed flat.

5. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

When I rented with pets the place was £380 ($500 USD) and it was nothing special. It was 3 bedroom, one bath, basic home but did have nice big living room and dining room, full basement and decent yard. A nicer place came up for rent that allowed pets, it had finished basement with additional bedroom and family room and a privacy fence it was £460 per month and required £229 pet deposit. Which I don't think it is unreasonable because some people's pets destroy homes. Here most take deposits when renting and some ask an additional pet deposit, but if you don't cause damage you get it back. I've seem others in this range that will rent to pets, I've also seen both more expensive places and cheaper places that don't allow pets. More places seem like they don't.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

IME, most agencies won't allow any pets. Most people I know have a dog or a cat and keep their fingers crossed the landlord doesn't find out.

rona likes this.
  7. rona

rona Missing my boy

I reckon this place would be perfect, we have a garden and am right on the edge of town with 3 off road walks within 5 minutes and a large forest within 30 minute walk.

Not sure I'd want to let for more than a year at a time. Do you think there's a market for short term rentals?

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If the way people flit about in my town...yes it's fine..here most tenancy agreements are 6 months initially, but are extended so you could live there for years, and years. Unless the owner of the property wants to sell for example...

rona likes this.
  9. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Around here most rentals are for one year then rolling monthly. Don't know it that's the same nationally but I would imagine it could be negotiated if not.

rona likes this.
  10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Speaking from my daughters experiences of private renting Most contracts she has had seem to be for a year, although you can get 6 month ones too I believe or sure she has mentioned those are sometimes possible too. You can also put in clauses covering either party if they have to end the tenancy before the year or when the agreement is up. All the Different contracts she has had have stated slightly different things, and all her rentals right from being at uni in the student house to more recent lettings have always been carried out through a letting agent. You could perhaps have a chat to one to find out more info about renting perhaps.

I have also had a look on line and there are templates for things like tenancy agreements, Ive found one for you that may give you a basic idea of the sort of things involved and things you may need to think about and cover yourself for if you do go ahead.

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/documents-and-forms/tenancy-agreement-for-a-house.rl#

rona likes this.
  11. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

When I rented I went for one of the cheapest properties in the area. I had 3 dogs at the time so thought a less kept house would be more likely to accept. I didn't have to pay anything extra but the letting agents did come to meet the dogs and I had a reference for them.

I'm also a landlady using a letting agency and will consider pets if asked.

rona likes this.
  12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

My rent isn't higher than it would be without dogs, but I paid 2 months deposit, which I was happy to pay.

I think most standard tenancy agreements are for 1 year with a break clause of 2 months notice after 6 months. Although it's all down to the agreement you come to with the tenant.

One thing I highly recommend is getting landlord insurance, as if the tenant stops paying rent, it takes months to go to court and get them evicted. It also covers repairs that their deposit doesn't cover.

If you have a mortgage, you should definitely advise your lender, as I think that it may break some contract or other if you don't.

If you're planning on travelling, then make sure there's someone local who can manage the property for you, as things like boilers breaking always happen at the most inopportune time. I'm pretty sure that the law has a maximum time that you can leave repairs for, so you definitely need someone who can jump to it

rona likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I rent out some houses and though I prefer not to have dogs I seem to often end up with them! Scotland is in the process of changing its rental laws and the most onerous is that you will no longer be able to put a limit on a tenancy so basically, unless the tenant breaches the contract or you want to sell the house, the tenancy is for life. I expect England will follow suit at some time.

LinznMilly and WillowT like this.
  14. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

That sucks! So if you want to go travelling for a year, you could potentially be left homeless when you return?

15. WillowT

WillowT PetForums Senior

Interesting... haven't heard of this down in the south of England. Do you know where I could find more info

16. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I dont think Blitz lives in England so thats probably why

17. rona

rona Missing my boy

Are you sure this is going to apply to housing?

I know farm tenancies are a contentious issue, particularly in Scotland.

If this is true, then it's not really been thought out has it :rolleyes:

MiffyMoo likes this.
  18. rona

rona Missing my boy

19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I've rented one of my houses out to people with dogs once. What I didn't expect them to do was allow the dogs to pee all over the carpets so I'm afraid, never again.

MiffyMoo, Blitz and rona like this.
  20. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Due to the fact that finding a rental that will accept dogs is so blumming hard, cant say I'd sign up to a years rental with no possibility of extending.

The scruffy part works both ways. Last rented house has just been moved out of by the ex OH because the landlady believed that because there was a dog there (which she allowed, knew about and we paid a higher deposit for) , she didnt have to do any repairs, or upgrades or in fact ANYTHING to the house in 7 years....... yes it was scruffy when he left it, but it would have been scruffy without a dog living there, and said dog is not destructive, and totally housetrained.

MiffyMoo, Blitz and rona like this.