Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Removing Crate training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lauren Greene, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Lauren Greene

Lauren Greene PetForums Newbie

Hello I would like help in getting rid of the pups crate. He is 8 months old and has been crate trained since he was 2 months old. He is very good a night time with me in the living room and will happily fall asleep in the evening and also in the day. He doesn’t like it when we go upstairs and leave him in the living room for a short time. He barks and cry’s at the baby gate for a few minutes. He has been left in the kitchen and living room while I have done work outside and has been fine. I want to start to leave him at night and during the day in the downstairs of the house but need some help and advice first?

2. DizzyNova

DizzyNova PetForums Member

Hi Lauren, where is your pup's crate situated at the minute? Is it in the living room already? If it is this should make the transition easier. If not, I'd look to make this move first.

Whenever we've looked to get rid of a crate we've followed these steps: putting dog in crate as normal at night, then closing the door (but not locking) for a few days, then we've slowly started to leave the door open during the night until it's finally wide open. Once wide open we leave a few more days before removing the crate entirely but keeping the dogs bed in the same place and following the same routine as if we were putting them in a crate at night. Once they are comfortable with this we have been able to move the bed around as we wish. Obviously if pup protests to any stage of this, we've gone back to the previous stage until we felt they were ready to progress.

Just bear in mind, some dogs really like their crates! Our oldest dog is a real den dog and when we tried to remove the crate, it made her anxious and sick so we've now just accepted that she will always sleep in a crate - she likes it better that way!

Good Luck!

3. Lauren Greene

Lauren Greene PetForums Newbie

Thank you. It’s in the dining room out house is just a normal two up two down. He doesn’t like going into his cage always, at night he goes in no problem but during the day he will cry and chew. I will try what you have suggested and see if that works. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice