Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Removing Bandages

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Woofta, May 19, 2010.

1. Woofta

Woofta PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I am new to this site and looking for some advice.

Our 9 year old collie cross has recently had an op to removed a lump from the tip of her tail and is currently bandages to her rump.

The bandage was due to be removed on Monday, but the vet has asked if we could keep it on for another week to be sure. Which is grand. The problem is that our doggy is very very vet-phobic and gets extremely stressed. Having given her a sedative to get the bandage removed this Monday and seeing how much it knocks her around, I really don't want her to go through it again next week.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how we can remove the bandages? They are stuck fast with some solution the vets used, and they've already said the bandages will need to be soaked before they can remove them. Anyone have any ideas what we may need to soak them in?

I just think if we can remove them ourselves on Monday it will be so much kinder to our rather anxious woofta.

Thanks in advance :)

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Could you give your vet a call and ask them at all? Hopefully they will be able to advise you what to use if they think its not worth putting your dog through the stress of the vets. Mine hates the vets too and its horrible having to take him when I know how much he hates it :(

3. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

Yes, I agree. You need to know what type of bandage it is. Often they are guaze, cotton wool, woven bandage & then an elastoplast equivalent but it could be a cohesive wrap like Vetrap.

In the hands of the experts these are realtively easy to remove with blades or blunt ended scissors.

It's such a shame that your dog gets so stressed going to the vet, especially when all you are trying to do is to help her.

I too would give your vets a call, ask what type of bandage & see if they can suggest a safe way of removing it without causing damage. Maybe a vet nurse can visit and do the dressing removal in your home - probably be a lot less than getting the vet out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice