Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Remind me what sleep feels, will you?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AOTN1984, Sep 17, 2013.

1. AOTN1984

AOTN1984 PetForums Junior

My husband and I brought home a new Jack Russell cross puppy on Saturday. We had every intention of crate training her. Had a crate ready and waiting for her to be introduced to gradually. We got her home and she seemed really happy - running around exploring, tail wagging etc. Saw the crate and panicked. We hadn't tried to put her in it or anything. Just the sight of it was enough to strike fear into the poor thing.

Anyway, I spoke to the 'breeder' and she informed me that she uses the crate when her other dogs - mum and dad - have been naughty or when she needs time on her own. Our puppy has, from he sounds of it, witnessed this and associated the crate with negative experiences. We, therefore, decided to remove the crate from view for now.

This left us with a little bit of a dilemma regarding sleeping arrangements. We were going to take the crate to our room at bedtime, at least initially. This was no longer an option. So, we thought about taking her basket to our room. Having to way to confine her, though, it would be hard to encourage her to stay still and not to walk to the other side of the room for business. The other option was a stair gate over the kitchen door/archway. Our kitchen is reasonably small so we thought that this would create enough of a 'den' for her. We put her basket in there and set everything up so that it was puppy friendly.

During the day she happily wanders in and out and even goes to her basket for quiet time.

We knew the first few nights would be tough as we have had puppies before. This one, however, is nothing like past experiences. The second we out her to bed she barks and howls. My husband has been sleeping on the couch so that she can see him and is only a few feet from her basket (we thought this was a good no bedroom compromise). Sunday night she barked for two hours and then settled for a bit. Then woke up and barked a bit more before going to sleep for the rest of the night (until just before 6am). Last night, however, she just would not settle.

We took her outside just before bedtime and she emptied her bladder and bowels. Making sure she was at the stage where she couldn't keep her eyes open, we put her to bed. I went upstairs and my husband went to the couch. The puppy barked and howled for two hours. We had set an alarm for three hours to take her out again. Just before the two hour mark she pooed in her basket and then lay down in it. She didn't do any of the usual sniffing around routine so my husband didn't realise until it was too late. We woke up and cleaned her basket, replaced the bedding, took her out and tried to re-settle her. She continued to bark for another three hours. Even though she could see my husband she just wouldn't settle unless she was being cuddled or handled in some way.

We know that whatever we do now will be hard to un-do. My husband ended up sleeping on the floor with his hand through the gate to calm her. She kept waking up and checking.

Ha anybody got any ideas/advice on what we can do to help her settle? She has a t-shirt, a hot water bottle, a ticking clock, things to chew on, blankets to snuggle in etc.

I know we need to preserve and ignore her but five hours of continuous barking just seemed too much.

We have been leaving her for short periods during the day - either going out or just going upstairs so that she sees that we always come back. I work from home most days but I need to be in the office for at least four hours on Friday. We have somebody coming round half way through the day but I am so nervous about leaving her after seeing how she reacts.

Anybody else have this problem? How did you overcome it?

Many thanks in advance.

A very tired Lou x

2. Hachiko

Hachiko PetForums Member

Hachi my Samoyed puppy used to hate being left on his own, this was mainly because he was used to sleeping with his brothers and sisters. We to would have to get up throughout the Night as he would often howl/cry.

One of the reasons for Hachi crying was because he was actually hungry, as he would settle down again after having something to eat.

Hachi is now 4 months old and does not bark, howl or cry. It's fantastic, he is a very willing and quick learner.

I'm sorry things have not been easy, but just stick with it and im sure other peoples advice will help you along the way.

This was Hachi at 2 1/2 months old

#2 Hachiko, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. Wayne01

Wayne01 PetForums Member

I'd try putting the radio on for him ( obviously nothing heavy le thrash metal) it worked for one of my friends dogs.

Hope its sorted for you.

Also what is your location I may know some one who could help

4. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Oh the puppy days, how I miss those....not :)
    You could always try covering her crate so it looks less like a crate and start giving her some positive experiences with it? Feed her in there, randomly throw treats in there for her to find? She is bound to be a little unsettled. The radio on quietly can sometimes help. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with some more helpful advice, my brain is mush, my dog got spayed last friday and I've been on the couch since so I'm afraid I can't remind you how sleep feels :) ha ha

5. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Re: Wayne 01's post - radio on low is a good idea - Mozart is supposed to be particularly soothing, but anything classical will do, or a talk station so that there is a low murmuring voice in the background. A clock with a loud tick is also comforting for puppies - I think they just fear the silence after being in such a squeaky environment

Is the puppy warm enough? A stone hot water bottle, well wrapped will give something to snuggle up to, and will be safe from sharp little teeth. Also, a teddy bear (though this will probably end up getting shredded - buy a few from a charity shop, take off loose eyes and noses, and pop one into bed with your pup.

Some people recommend Adaptil, which comes as a plug in or a spray, and releases pheronomes that calm dogs . (Reports are variable - some swear by it, others say it is ineffective. I've never tried it myself).

Re: the cage - try putting a VERY enticing treat in. and allowing her to go in herself - don't shut the door, just let her come and go. Have a blanket in there with your scent on it (sleep with it for a couple of nights. This might help her settle in her bed, too). Gradually get round to confining her, for very short periods at first, and gradually lengthen them, as you are doing will getting her used to being alone. Maybe a special toy in there - a king stuffed with treats, perhaps. When she comes out, lots of praise and cuddles. When she realises that the cage is a box of a thousand delights, she will choose to go into it - it will become her own space.

Hope some of these ideas help - if not, I'm sure that other people will have more - sometimes it's a matter of trial and error.

I'm sure you'll get there before your eyelids drop off! :)

6. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

7. AOTN1984

AOTN1984 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and replies. She already has the radio on and a ticking clock nearby. I know it will take time to settle her. She just seems to needy compared to other pups that I have had, bless her. We will persevere and keep everything crossed that she gets a bit better at being on her own. In the meantime, if anybody has any pearls of wisdom then please, please, please share!

As for the crate, we are going to be re-introducing it slowly. She really isn't fussed about treats so it's hard to entice her in.

She has gone into her basket in the kitchen now and is napping. She keeps opening her eyes to check that I am still there but generally seems quite calm. Need her to eventually get to the point where she is content being on her own. I work from home most days but I need for her to entertain herself so that I can earn some money to feed her!! I am usually in the office one day per week. For these days she will have a puppy sitter.

We will get there... one day!

8. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I feel your pain...had a nightmare journey to the vets last week with a 10 week old JRT pup, screaming hysterically all the way (the pup, not me!).
    The only thing I can suggest is starting from scratch, with a totally different looking crate arrangement, as others have suggested. This week we have been doing "sitting in the car eating treats", then driving slowly up and down the drive - neighbours must think I'm potty!

9. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

aww we had this with zelda she was a nightmare.. we did in the end get her some pjs which helped so we think she may have been cold?

it was going ok until she hit 6 months and hubby went on holiday for 10 days.. she would not settle at all at night.. by night 3 i gave in and since then she has slept on our bed.. but then again so does our 45kg oes!

10. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I let them sleep on my bed until they reach the 'nose biting' stage.
    They slept right through the night, and we haven't had any problems getting them to then sleep in their own beds after that.
    I think it's worth it just to avoid the sleep deprivation...plus there's nothing quite like waking up with a puppy curled up under your chin ;).

11. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

We have Apples crate in the bedroom next to bed but she has a cover over it when its bedtime, its always open in the day if she wants to take herself of to it but she hasnt done yet, we put her 2 bedtime biscuits in there and she settles, what i may suggest is maybe giving her a small amount of kibble just before she settles for night i found Apple was very restless late evening before we went to bed so gave her a small amount of kibble n she settled fine, she now just has her bedtime biscuits

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice