Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Remember when....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CavalierOwner, Oct 24, 2012.

1. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

....everyone used to feed their dogs anything! I remember when I was a kid (I'm only 23 now) dogs just ate whatever their humans had for tea. No thought went into what food was best for them, anything got thrown into their bowl....sunday dinners, chippy, beans on toast. :lol: Dogs must have had stomaches of steel.

When did we become so fussy about what our dogs should eat? I think the internet probably has a lot to do with it, if it wasn't for the internet I would probably feed my dogs anything but now I'm so strict about what they eat. They eat TOTW or F4D and aren't allowed ANY of my plate scraps whatsoever. Everyone else in my family now feeds dog food (rubbish stuff) and human scraps and they think I'm bonkers for spending £50 on a bag of dog food! What they can't seem to understand, is the fact that I might be spending £50 on dog food at once but it only works out at £6.25 a week to feed 3 dogs because it lasts so long.

What did you family/friends feed their dog and do they feed them differently now?

2. in 1987 Dylan my nans old dog was purchased as a puppy from a pub (not badly thought of then) Dylan ate table scraps and lived til 18 but I remember when I first wanted dogs (when I was 10) I was going to feed Bakers complete and table scraps but I`m afraid to say I won`t be able to resist giving my dog table scraps and because my meals aren`t healthy (pizza, sausage, chips) I will just give him a baby carrot bought specially :p :eek:
    And I`ve frankly no idea what the main meal will be, I`m going to try puppy on the F4D samples and if he likes it I think I will continue F4D if not I will feed raw

3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I've always thought if you let your dogs get used to eating whenever is on offer you don't get a fussy dog. Too many dogs these days only eat x brand or whatever, it seems a bit silly to me. Kes has her raw meat and all but I've always given her scraps or bits of things she's never tried because one of the last things I want is a fussy dog.

4. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

I remember 20 odd years ago our Spaniel used to get tripe and other raw stuff and those mixer biscuits...
    When we got our Retriever she was fed milk, wheatabix, scrambled egg and royal canin muesli stuff...
    Then when we got Tess it was which ever dry food was cheaper! The omega rings were my fav ;-)

Now with Rusty he is fed completely on raw...

I feel like I've done a full circle lol

Looking back all dogs have lived to a good age and with good teeth!

5. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

When I was a kid (a long time ago) our dogs lived on human left overs and vims dog biscuits (remember those). They seemed to do well on it. Our cocker lived to be 14 and was as fit as a fiddle. My aunt fed her alsations, as they were then, on horse meat from the local abattoir and they lived to a good age as well.

6. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I started looking at dog food differently in 1995, a year after I got my GD and he was diagnosed with at least a wheat gluten allergy. He had skin problems as well, so was very careful about what he had to eat. I got into the habit of never giving him scraps as wasn't sure whether it was okay for him to have or not.

I think it's because over the years we've all become more concious of what's in food. It was only after Darcy was diagnosed that wheat gluten free products started appearing in supermarkets, as we always used to joke that he would have been able to eat them.

Before then human diabetics and other people needing special diets would probably have found they weren't so well catered for.

So I don't think it's so much we've changed our views about what we feed our animals, as the fact that we are all more educated now as to what's in food, and what we should be eating. The internet has certainly made a wider range of products more easily available.

7. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

PS My beloved ES, Bodie, spent his life on Omega rings. He died when he was 10 from liver failure which I must admit I associated with his diet.

8. CavalierOwner

Yeah! Food can't have done them much harm because every dog I knew that got fed rubbish lived to a good age. I change my dog's food so they don't get bored or rubbish tum's because they've only ever been fed one brand for their entire life, they either eat one of the TOTW flavours or F4D and next time I need to buy food I think I will be trying them on Applaws because I've seen a good offer. :eek: My dogs have never had any dodgy tums tbh (a part from Willow when she first came home) I refuse to feed from my plate though! They are only allowed a few human food such as raw carrots, meat, tinned fish or yoghurt for kongs. :p

9. CavalierOwner

Ruby is the complete opposite she used to be an awful eater (until she was spayed) she would refuse to eat for days! If I changed her food she would eat that but after a day or so she would turn her nose up again. The more food I offered, the fussier she became so I stopped doing it! She soon realised that she either ate what was in front of her or she ate nothing. She did get a better appetite after she was spayed but she can still be funny occasionally and try it on, she spins excitedly for her food and as soon as she sniffs it she turns her nose up but i know full well that if I offered her something else she would eat it. If she goes on a days strike, she will eat fine the next day.

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'm 29 and can honestly say I don't know anyone who fed their dog like this when I was growing up, they all had dog food and most people frowned upon giving them human food.

Growing up mine were fed whatever was cheapest at the time. As puppies they got weetabix and milk, scrambled eggs, porridge and Pedigree puppy food (not all at once lol) but from 6 months on they got the cheap stuff. It was only when Rupert had terrible skin and constant ear infections that I started looking into food. And then only after being told on a forum that food allergies could be the problem. Then I put him on decent food and was ridiculed by many for spending so much on dog food when a bag of Asdas own would have been a lot cheaper.

Now I feed raw. Don't really think about what I'm getting out of the freezer each day now or worry about ratios working out exactly but it required a lot more thought at first. Most of the people I know in real life think I'm mad and am going to end up with a bloodthirsty monster and that he needs to eat dog food, not human food but oh well.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Was just going to say I remember a dog and cats meat stall and they had horse meat, and this meat loaf stuff that was sold by weight:D Amongst all sorts of other things.

12. CavalierOwner

Everyone I knew used to feed their dog anything, whatever they had for tea they fed the dog! Nobody seemed to bother with dog food, it was like it never existed.

You know you shouldn't feed raw food, your dog will end up eating you whilst you sleep. :hand:

13. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Just remembered my dog when I was growing up in the '60's was fed on Chappie and Winalot! And all the left overs! :)

14. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Aye, I think some dogs just don't have a very hardened constitution perhaps. For the same reasons as soon as I got Kes and it rained I shoved her out in it, not because I'm a sadist but just because I want a hardy dog who won't be fussy and dramatic about things. I'm the same with people so it's not like my attitude is just for canines, when my OH's kids come and stay if they don't want to eat what I cook for them then they can go hungry, I'm not catering for fussy eaters.

15. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

As a child (OMG 60 years ago) Rusty cocker spaniel, ate Chappie and Winalot mixer. He also got table scraps and the last corner of my Dad's toast and apple peelings
    In the 70's beagle Brandy had Bounce and Winalot mixer. late 70's we graduated to Welsh Springer who as a pup had scrambled egg, sardines and more then vitalin . Next Springer rescue (Shadow) in the 90's had Vitalin too, very healthy too but huge poos ( looked like hamsterfood not the poos the food!). Also that vile prepacked sausage shape dog meat mush. When he got old and poorly he had butchers, scrambled egg, chicken and rice. They all had codliver oil.
    Rescue dog Barney had various, Burn's but didn't seem to like it (someone said it's like salad to a dog's palate!!) Autarky, because it SEEMED to be full of good things and later Dr John's Gold because my friend fed that and he loved it when he went to stay. I still worry that somehow the Dr John's contributed to us losing him so young - felt I was feeding him burgers and chips twice a day. But my friend's dog is 13 now! All my dogs have loved raw veg except Jackson who looks at me as if I'm crazy to offer him such stuff. Jackson has Applaws because I've looked at the Dry food index!!

16. CavalierOwner

Was this the sausage dog meat
    Prime 350g Chub Rolls Dog Food - Webbox :lol:

17. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Yep that's the one!!

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

When I was growing up our dogs were fed on leftovers. Mum used to make extra so there would be enough for the dogs.

But once I went round to see her after I left home and had a baby and I caught her cooking a full fried breakfast for the dog - bacon, eggs, mushrooms, sausage, tomato, fried bread...............the lot.

I told her it was bad for him, but she would never have it. Anything that came out of a tin or a jar was muck.

19. CavalierOwner

:eek: A fried breakfast! My mum wouldn't even make me a fried breakfast. :lol:

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

No, she wouldn't have made me one either! I couldn't believe all this stuff she had in the frying pan and she was diabetic, so I told her she shouldn't eat that. She said: it's not for me. It's for me dog!

#20 newfiesmum, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice