Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

remember them

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bordie, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

every year on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.we pause to remember those men and woman who have died or suffered in all wars and confilcts and to all the animals that suffered.i will be there in the morning i salute you all.god bless

simplysardonic likes this.
  2. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I don't need to remember Bordie and the reason I don't need to remember is because I never forget them the other 364 days of the year.

At the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, Armistice Day, the guns, after four brutal years, finally fell silent

It was during that first silence in 1918 thousands upon thousands of men on the battlefield laid down their weapons and stopped slaughtering one another.

They believed that the sudden silence was the voice of God.

I doubt there's few alive today who were present when God spoke clearly to mankind.

We salute them all!

#3 Zaros, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

11th Nov..Polish National Day..guess why that very date?:)

5. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

The process of restoration of Poland's independence was gradual; the date chosen is the one on which Józef Piłsudski assumed control of Poland. The Independence Day was constituted in 1937 and was celebrated only twice before World War II. In the People's Republic of Poland (PRL) the national holiday was moved to July 22 the day the PKWN Manifesto was issued. In 1989 the Independence Day was moved back to November 11.

In 1918, after 123 years of occupation, the Polish state was reborn and regained its independence. Autumn 1918 marked the end of World War I and the defeat of all three occupiers. Russia was plunged into the confusion of revolution and civil war, the multinational Austro-Hungarian monarchy fell apart and went into decline and the Germans bowed to pressure from the forces of the Entente.

6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

Always remember through s that stood up for the world, brave people.

7. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

thank you zaros in the morning i will stand with them the old and the young and i will remember when god spoke and i will have a tears in my eyes god bless them all

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You should put a link to your source when you quote someone elses words.

National Independence Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry Bordie. :eek:

I'll be thinking of them and people like you with family out there somewhere :)

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I simply cannot imagine what it must have been like for those young men in the trenches each waiting for the order to go over the top and each praying that God had better eyesight than their supposed enemy.

And I simply daren't imagine how it must have been for those behind the first few brave souls over the top when they were forced to witness their brothers in arms been wantonly slaughtered before their very eyes.

I doubt there's a greater fear on this earth knowing you're about to face a cruel and untimely death.

However, I have often tried to imagine what it must have been like for those who were faced with no other choice but to take the life of another man and deprive his children of a father, his wife of her husband. Deprive a sister a brother. And a mother and father of their beloved son.

I spy.

I see him through my rifles aim
    And the question is to kill or maim
    Yet there's something I just cannot figure
    Why the hell should I pull the trigger?

But if he sees me through his rifle's aim
    Would he ever think the same
    Or spare a thought and try to figure
    Whether conscience or impulse was over the trigger?

We see each other through our rifles aim
    And for one brief moment pass thoughts the same
    Though I don't suppose I shall ever figure
    Why the hell it was I who pulled the trigger?

Copyright © 2007 C.R.M.

#9 Zaros, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  10. househens

househens Guest

#10 househens, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm planning on going to the local cenatargh (sp) this year, but must go and get a replacement poppy first as mine must have fallen out of my pocket. :rolleyes: :(

12. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

i'm sat watching the ceremony on tv. i have to leave for work as soon as the 2 minute silence is done (i refuse to leave before)

to all those who bravely fight and have fought to give us the freedom we have today...

we shall remember xx

13. househens

househens Guest

Thought this might remind us that a lot of the lads loved their dogs and cats, and might give us a smile, tho I would never risk mine in such a way...

warwriting

14. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I was sat in the car up on the North Downs listening to The Last Post on the radio. Giving a silent thanks for my right to remember them in my own way :)

15. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

I found my Grandads WW1 discharge (fined for a fight in the barracks but a good soldier), my uncle lost part of his ankle running across an aircraft deck as the Japanese attacked, my dad (91) only ever spoke of WW2 after his stroke, how he was sent to Scotlans and put on a boat to Durban (6 weeks at sea) he remembered the ships name (SS Sibajack)

[​IMG]

Dad was in the "Warks" but got transferred toe the "Staffs" but volunteered foe special duties upon hearing how many losses the Staffs were taking, the special duties were driving a truck with a radio transmitter following the fighting keeping in touch with GHQ back in England (the "Phantom" regiment)

But he did get to see South Africa, Libya, Italy (Monte Cassino was a bit of a mess he said!), Greece, Spainm France and Germany.

He stayed out of harms way - for which I thank him - and seems to have found various diversions, including racing a Moto Guzzi up and down a hill foerseveral days, selling some bus tyres he "found" and (he says) blagging Mussolini's staff car...........

In this photo hes on a train carriage in Italy, denoted by the "FS" markings (Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane)

[​IMG]

#15 Colliebarmy, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice