Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Remember Francis the rescue dog?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CAstbury, Apr 12, 2011.

1. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

A reminder!

http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-chat/142283-im-saving-dog-being-pts.html

Well - he is at the vets now. Has had a big operation on his ear and I am so sad.

When I took him in - the vet told me all the possible complications:

possibility of a damaged facial nerve which could result in partial paralysis of his face, inability to blink which would possibly result in him losing an eye

possibility of massive internal bleeding which has resulted in them losing a dog

total deafness in the ear

The total deafness didn't concern me as he is deaf in the ear now as he has been in so much pain with infection.

I was mega concerned over how he would react to being left at the vets and crated after his life history of being crated and in a shed all his life up until 18 months ago.

Anyway to cut the story short - the operation went well - no damage done (phew!) but when I rang to see if he could come home tonight I could hear him crying/howling in the background.

I knew it was him straight away - the nurse said it was because he was due another load of morphine but I wondered if he thinks he has been abandoned by me.

I want so much to get him home but I know that for pain management he is in the best place. I'm upset for him - want to see him but think it will upset him more if he sees me then I leave him again.

It isnt often I wish time away but I so want to get him back.

Am I being soft?:(

1 person likes this.
  2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

No you just care!

Poor little man, hope he goes OK through the night and holds out OK til you get him back :)

3. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Firstly, good on you for giving Francis a home when no one else would :D

I`m sure he is fine, proberly just scared and doesn`t know what is happenning, he doesnt know what you know... that he will be home asap ;)

hope he has a speedy recovery

4. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

your not being soft at all, just a concerned, loving owner :)

when's he coming back home?

5. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

No you are not being soft, I would have the same reaction if I was in your position.

Sending positive vibes to the little chap, hope he's on the mend soon.

6. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Aw hun! Poor you and poor Francis. What an ordeal for you both.
    You're not being soft at all. It hurts to hear them crying doesn't it, I know I felt terrible just for accidentally trapping Alf in that door at the weekend cos he cried and yelped so goodness knows how you're feeling right now. :(
    I'm glad the op went well, at least that is out of the way and he can look ahead to coming home to you soon. Vets is the best place for him right now even though he probably thinks he'd rather be curled up with you on the sofa but at least they can monitor him and keep the pain at bay. Keep your chin up sweetie and keep thinking about the day they say he can come home. Got to keep thinking positive!
    Big big (((hugs))) to you today lovely person.
    x

7. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone else: You're not being soft at all, you're just being a very loving owner :D

Sending heaps of positive vibes to Francis. He'll be back with you in no time at all :D Hoping he makes a speedy recovery!

8. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Aaaw thank you all for kind comments.

I've been asked to ring vets at 11am tomorrow to see if he is fit enough to come home then.

The house is so quiet without him - even having my 2 girls here with me - wondering how I can miss a dog so much when he only arrived in my life 12 weeks ago.

Hope he has a peaceful night.

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I'm sure he'll be fine, not sure about how much sleep you're going to get tonight though. :rolleyes: He'll be doped up to the eyeballs and sleeping like a baby. ;)

10. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

How true this comment was! I had very little sleep - worrying that he thinks I have abandoned him. 11am will soon be here and hopefulyl he can come home

11. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Well he is back home :)

The vet rang to say I could collect him at 3pm - but then rang back just before 11am to ask me to collect him asap as he was getting stressed. When I first saw him at the vet - I felt so sorry for him - totally stressed. They said that he hadnt been able to walk without his back legs being supported since having the anaesthetic and I genuinely wondered what on earth I had done to him. On the drive home he was howling - and I was sobbing in the car wishing I hadnt put him through this operation - the thought that because of me he may have lost his balance and be unable to walk properly again - broke my heart :cryin:

However - he has now been home just over 40 minutes and he has walked round the yard and has started to relax. Chloe dog has been lying next to him comforting him.

I really hope that putting him through this will be to his benefit :(

12. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Glad he is through it and back home :D That is great news!

13. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

So glad he is home and recovering - don't blame yourself for putting him thro the operation it was best for him. Now that he is back home with you and the others he will go from strength to strength, he will have missed you in the vets so that is probably why he was having problems with his legs.

Get well soon Francis and look forward to seeing some updated pics of him once he is feeling better.

14. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Glad he's home, try not to feel guilty, if Francis is anything like Arnie...........god that dog has a way of making me feel guilty for the slightest thing. In fact if making humans feel guilty was an olympic sport he'd win gold everytime. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice