Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Reluctant retriever

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Old Shep, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

I have an HPR who seems to be more HP than R.

How can I make him a bit more excited about retrieving? We have tried a variety of objects from the usual toys, dummys and even fur covered retrieves all to no avail.

He will retrieve a tennis ball, but only indoors:confused:

As soon as we are outside he's much more interested in hunting.

We were doing an exercise today where we were to sit the dog in front of is and throw the retrieve at an angle, behind us where the dog could see it land, return to the dog, then send him. He would only do this if I threw a treat. He was completely disinterested in any object we threw. The trainer gave me some pointers of things to try at home, but, tbh, I have forgotten what she said :nonod:

Anyone any fun suggestions of wYs I can make him more keen to retrieve?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I am afraid I would NEVER throw things when training a dog to retrieve, it is one of the LAST things I do.

I would back chain the retrieve so that the dog fully understands the exercise so I begin with the hold....................

3. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Actually, now you say that, I remember that's what she told me to work on- holding.

Thanks. I'll look this up and see how we get on. He's a smart dog.

Thanks, again smokeyBear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice