Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Relieving Stress?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Apollo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

My cat can become quite stressed over certain things. Perhaps he takes after me but I hate to see him stressed. Is there any way of relieving stress for him or is it just basic comfort that I already give him?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try feliway, which comes in a diffuser and spray, or rescue remedy.

What is he doing that makes you think he's stressed?

3. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

Maybe stress isn't the best word. Maybe anxiety would be the better way to describe him.

He has certain issues with people. Strangers coming in. He's quite timid anyway but he begins to panic quite badly. He hides and is scared for most of the week. Sometimes he looses some of his fur.

The reason for this is that we are having an Aunt come over in two weeks time. If I could warn him first then that would be perhaps better but unfortunatley he can't understand and I don't want him to be like this for the two weeks she is there.

He also gets quite anxious if he can't find someone but I just normally pick him up and comfort him. So that's not really the pressing problem.

I just hate to see him like this. He is just so anxious that it courses through his body and I am so worried about him.

I should have been specific and I apologise for that. Is this Feliway spray able to be gotten from the vet or do I need an appointment and explain the situation to the vet?

4. rottiesloveragdolls

I highly rec Feliway you can get the spray as well as plug ins :)

5. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

Thank you. WHat are plug ins?

Where do I obtain the Feliway from? Vets or the local animals store?

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Unfortunately some cats are just naturally nervous, we can never find Neelix when we have visitors and he won't go into the garden either.

It's probably worth trying Feliway as lots of people say that it's helped them but for us it just helped our bank manager....mind you psychotic Bengals aren't easy to calm down :D

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

You can get feliway without a prescription from the net, Load sof on line pharmacies have it and I think even [email protected] do it. The plug in is like one of those air fresheners you stick in a socket. Best for your type of problem. The spray is good for spraying into cat baskets for trips to the vets etc.

8. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

Thank you. I do think that the plug would be better although maybe I should get both plug and spray as he also gets axious when he goes to the vets.

9. rottiesloveragdolls

the spray is what i use as it lasts for ages :D and you can just pray the air of each room to have the cat in :) also for trips to the vets ect, although it is about £19 a bottle it does last :D

10. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

Thank you, I will just have to discuss this with my parents.

11. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Feliway plug in is definitely worth trying. Also rather than warn your baby about your Aunts visit, I would make sure your Aunt is fully appraised of the situation, so she knows how to act around him to minimise his stress ie doesn't look at him (which cats find threatening), doesn't go to stroke him or try and pick him up etc. I am sure if she is there for 2 weeks the he will gradually get used to her, especially if she can slowly make friends. The best way would be to get her to play with him, if he will stay in the same room as her, choose a toy he can never resist. Or by offering him treats he adores like bits of ham or something. As long as all that is done with no direct eye contact, almost pretending that he is not in the same room, then that may minimise any stress he feels about a new person being in his home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice