Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

relaxing sprays

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by penfold, Jun 28, 2009.

1. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone im a newbie on here and was wondering what is best to keep a beagle puppy calm at night time as he is up at all hours in the morning, we have tried all the usual things such as radio, scented jumpers and so on but with no effect but i have heard of relaxing sprays and was wondering what one is best to use.:confused:

2. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

DAP is the one recommended by vets (cheaper from ebay though) but I have heard that Bach Rescue Remedy works well too and is much cheaper again so may be worth trying that too (boots sell it)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How old is your pup?

4. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

His is 3 months old and i swear he is nocternal.:D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whats your feeding routine?

Do you get up during the night to let him out to the toilet?

6. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

he doesnt wake us for the toilet but he has improved and usually waits and goes at breakfast time, he gets fed in the morning and evening, he only starts when i go upto bed.
    I was wondering about the sprays as i have a blanket for him to sleep on and was previously used by mum for her dog who used a spray from the vets to help him sleep at night and when my pup slept on it he did not get up at all during the night starting barking and he looked so peaceful, obviously the blanket has been washed several times now and has lost its scent.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You are feeding just twice a day? At that age he should be on atleast 3 meals.

Id be tempted to get up at a set time during the night to let him out to the toilet. Its very hard for pup of that age to control its toileting habits, and messing themselves is very distressing.

Are you using a crate?

8. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

We do not use a crate as he found it to stressful and was working himself up into a frenzy, we have started to introduce the crate again and slowly he is going in and occasionaly falls asleep in it (which i reward him and make a big fuss), i know it will take a while but he is getting there.
    I was given advice from the Vet who has two beagles that two meals was ok as we tried the 3 meals a day, breakfast he ate just over half, the second meal he showed no interest but the evening meal he ate all of it, we keep the feeding times regular as i asked the breeders what time he was fed and have stuck to that since.

9. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take a huge amount of notice of what Vets say regarding nutrition and feeding, tbh.

Or training, for that matter. Unless they've done extra courses themselves, they are qualified to treat medical problems and that's all.

10. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

I only wanted to find out about sprays and some friendly advice, have asked professionals and wanted others peoples opinions and not to be questioned about my healthy pups eating habits or the way im bringing him up.
    my wife has also checked the opinions of trainers, vet nurse, pet shop and breeder and a spray has been recommended i just wanted to confirm and reassure myself before i purchase a spray or drops. all think buster is healthy and i trust their judgement i dont think there is any point in forcing him to eat an afternoon meal and if he is hungry i recognise the signs or he lets me know and i feed him however this does not happen often and he is very happy to be fed twice a day. :)

11. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I just wanted to assure you all that Buster is a very happy puppy, he is well fed and looked after. I feed him his meal at about 12:30pm - he shows no interest in this at all. I leave the bowl down for about an hour and he doesn't touch it and it gets taken away, we then feed him after we have eaten at about 5pm and he eats most of it. His poo and wee is normal I mentioned at his check up that he was not eating his daytime meal and the vet was happy with him saying that we shouldn't worry as he will let us now when he is hungry and he does, our breeder said that he is unlikely to eat an afternoon/daytime meal as he didn't with her.

Buster is a lovely little guy and although he demanding of attention (I am sure the beagle owners on here will vouch for that) he is a content little guy however he's a little monster at night and he cries for hours, the cries are turning into howls and its driving us mad. A spray has been recommended but we have no idea where to start. Our vet who owns two beagles and has over 40 years experience said a spray could work but ignoring him is better. This is all well and good but we live in a house with paper-thin walls and I am sure there is only so much our poor neighbours can take. If we could get a spray to calm him during the night it would help - although as the vet explained using a spray masks an underlying issue so its best to work out why he is so stressed at night. Whilst we trust the vet who has so much experience and personal experience with our breed we are desperate for a quick fix so we can have a good night sleep. We will often wake up very early morning (2-4am) to check and let him have a wee we still do not think its this that causes the upset at night because as soon as we turn the light out and walk upstairs he starts crying and it continues until we either go down to him or he tires himself out so much crying for over an hour and then falls asleep on the stair. We do not want him to go through this so wanted practical suggestions preferably from another beagle owner to check if this is normal or if we can do anything for him.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sorry, i wasnt at all insinuating that you werent looking after him. I just like to try and figure out why a dog is behaving the way it is, before using aids.

Like mentioned there is a DAP diffuser (you can get a spray and a collar aswell, and rescue remedy.

Personally, id go for the DAP. You can get them from your vet, eBay or various online vetmed stores. They are pricey though.

Pet Prescription - Search Results

13. penfold

penfold PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much for that advice, i wanted to be sure about what sprays or drops are best to use and most effective.
    Buster is a very happy pup and is currently asleep on my lap and is making typing very difficult. :)

14. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Maybe it's a beagle thing? My brother complains that his beagle bays at night and fidgets during the evening (although she doesn't do any of that when she stays with me, dunno why)

Back on thread!...I've tried the DAP diffuser and spray with 4 different dogs and with no discernable effect. The complete diffuser kit costs around £20 so if you are happy to pay that price to give it a shot, then go for it, maybe it'll work for you. The spray is cheaper of course, but it's effect is shorter lived.

Penfold, please don't think that people are being critical when they ask you about your dog's routine, it's hard to gauge the 'bigger picture' on a forum and quite often with dogs, the whole lifestyle has to be taken into account to formulate a reasonable suggestion as to what to try next when talking about a specific issue ;)

PS, have you got any pics for us?! x

15. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

penfold, I have had similar problems with my puppy who is now coming up to 16 weeks. He settled down at night in his pen but woke up at any time between 2.30 and 5am and then barked all morning. We also realised that he was peeing and pooing in the pen within a few minutes of being put to bed. We tried all the usual and got a DAP plug in thing but to be honest I don't think it did anything to help.

This continued for 3 weeks so I have now changed tack. I have got a crate (instead of the pen) make him love it - lots of toys and treats in it etc, and then started putting the crate in the bedroom with me at night. Have done this for the last 2 nights and he has slept without a peep from 10.30pm to 7am :)

I am going to stick with this for now - at least everyone can sleep! Then gradually move the crate further away until it is where we would like him to eventually sleep. Like our puppy, perhaps yours is a bit clingy and needs to be adjusted to being alone for so long at night very slowly.

Just a thought - might be worth a go....

16. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

DAP is very good when it works but it doesnt work for all dogs although i would always recomend trying it. i have used bach's rescue remedy in the past which has helped. but unfortunatly its not a cure for anything and often some training is needed alongside these calming drugs to competly cure the problem

17. hollie.hocks

hollie.hocks PetForums Member

I tried a calming liquid from pets at home, made from herbal ingredients, with our Beagle Alfie and unfortunately it didn't work, I spoke to a lady who also owns a Beagle who said 'I could have told you that!'.

I think they generally just have a whole load of energy!

If you find anything that works... please do let us know!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice