Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Relatively new dog dry food, opinions please?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rolosmum, May 2, 2011.

1. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

This food that i have not heard of before has been brought to my attention and i am told is really good by a friend who is using it.
    Analytical constituents
    Crude protein 23%
    Crude Oils and Fats 10%
    Crude fibre 4.5%
    Inorganic matter 7.5%

Additives
    E672 Vitamin A 12,000iu/kg, E671 Vitamin D3 1,200iu/kg, Vitamin E (as alpha-tocopherol) 600mg/kg, E1 IRON (as sulphate monohydrate) 133.3mg/kg, E2 IODINE (as Calcium Iodate anhydrous) 2.45mg/kg, E4 COPPER (as cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 20.00mg/kg, E5 MANGANESE (as Oxide) 40.0mg/kg, E6 ZINC (as Oxide) 150.00mg/kg - (as chelate of amino acids hydrate) 54.5mg/kg, E8 SELENIUM (as sodium selenite) 0.220mg/kg. Contains tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin Vitamin E and Vitamin C as EC permitted antioxidant.
    Composition
    Rice (min. 40%), Turkey meat meal (min. 26%), Whole grain barley (min.14%), Whole linseed (min. 4.5%), Sugar beet pulp (min. 4.5%), Poultry oil, Hydrolised poultry digest as gravy, Dried Alfalfa (min. 1%), Natural seaweed (min. 0.45%), Fructo-Oligosaccharide (from chicory root extract min 0.25%), Sodium chloride, Potassium chloride (min. 0.2%), Methionine (min. 0.05%), Yucca extract (min. 0.01%), Marigold extract (min. 0.005%), Rosemary extract (min.0.005%).

Just wondered from the details above what anybodies thoughts on quality are, the food is called COLLARDS.

thanks

#1 Rolosmum, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Middle of the road to be honest. Not awful, but not fantastic either. Seems on par with Wainwrights, Burns, James Wellbeloved etc, but obviously no where near Orijen, F4D and Acana.

I'd probably give it a whirl, my greyhounds have Orijen but my other 3 eat James Wellbeloved because they're ok with grains, I'd probably try it with them if I ever had need to change from JWB.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Agreed it's not bad but there are better foods out there for the price. The RDA is quite high too which would make it more expensive again.

Something like skinners field and trial hypoallergenic for instance would be £10 less per bag and you feed less.
    Vitalin's adult maintenance is another good one - bit more expensive than skinners, still cheaper than collards but cereal free.

This food malarky is mind boggling and just when you think you've got it sussed - your dog doesnt like it or it doesnt agree with them:rolleyes:

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I tried Lexi on this and she had a massive allergic reaciton to it and all her feet blistered. I was recommended it as a food for dogs with very senstive stomachs and to be honest it did help her tummy just caused all her feet to blister instead.

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I think the fact that it's £36.99 for 12kg makes it over priced.

Agree with the above, it's middle of the road stuff but £10-£15 more than other mid range dog foods. You can get Arden Grange lamb and rice for about a £10 cheaper and that's for 15kg.

6. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

To pay that much when the first ingredient is rice would annoy me. I'd want the first to be meat. It sounds similar to Skinners. It's fine for sensitive with that amount of rice (cheaper to add your own!) but there are better.

Go raw, hunny, I'll tell you my secret sources!

7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I would but i dont have the space to store it, only a small freezer that is already full to bursting!

8. I certainly think that if they are charging £36.00 it is way overpriced!
    I used to use Arden Grange and only paid £25 a bag! and you can still get the lamb cheap from berriewoods!
    Would rather used one of the mymaddogs for around £20 a bag!! suspect it is perhaps made by them anyway!

9. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

*whispers* buy a huge freezer! We had to once we made the decision with three of the little swines!

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've just stared feeding Simpsons sensitive, £30 for 12kg but it's grain free and has a decent meat content. I'd say it's worth a look.

Adult Sensitive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice