Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rejection bloody hurts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shadowmare, Mar 21, 2017.

1. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Even if it is just an email from my masters course :( absolutely gutted as I really wanted to get on this course and waited a year for the applications to open! Got through the initial online application process and just got informed that although my interview went well, they cannot offer me a place as I am an EU national and the possible regulation changes in 2019 may affect my eligibility to complete the course at that stage :( so I guess I need to go back to the drawing board and think of a new career to pursue...
    I especially chocked on the last sentence: "we wish you luck in your future". Wanted to reply to shove their luck up theirs...

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. shadowmare

Haha sorry admins, wanted to post this in the general chat area but think being upset just got to my head :oops::Facepalm

3. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

That's.... horrendous. I don't have words for how angry this makes me. I can't see why the f@#$ they can't make exceptions for those who are trying to make a life and career for themselves prior to the whole Brexit fiasco.
    I am so angry and gutted for you!!!

Happy Paws2 and cheekyscrip like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Very frustrating. Of course you may still be eligible after Brexit, so maybe you could try again once the whole mess is sorted out. As you did the interview well, a future application should be looked on favourably.

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. planete

planete PetForums Senior

As another EU national you have my wholehearted sympathy. The whole thing just stinks, we are being used as pawns.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  6. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

That's really shitty, I'm sorry. Must be countless people facing stuff like this after we decided to 'take our country back' (from what, progress?)

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

There you go, moved.
    Sorry for your disappointment , you must be so gutted.

8. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Brexit; what a sh1t poor state of affairs. I'm so sorry you've had to suffer such a huge disappointment because of all the circus clowns in town.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  9. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Sorry , just so bloody sorry. Same will happen to British kids, like mine if they want to study in EU.

So bloody unfair.

Especially on young kids who did not even have chance to vote.

What happened to you is a discrimination.

If you were British then you would be accepted then?

But those who voted for Brexit cannot care less and that is all.

10. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I'm sorry for your disappointment:( Is the masters vital towards your career choice? Are there any other routes into the industry you are looking at?

cheekyscrip likes this.
  11. shadowmare

Yeah, well to be fair,the situation is a bit more complicated. The course is a 2 year MSc after which you are either with just that - an MSc degree or you then go on to do a probationary year after which you are fully qualified. As I would be completing my MSc in 2019 and that is when UK will one way or another officially leave EU, no one can tell me how I will have to get the job for my probationary year. Will I just do it the same way I would do now? Will I need a visa? Will I need a working permit? Because I want a full qualification and not just yet another diploma to hang on the wall, it was decided that it would be unfair to let the EU nationals to go and start the course which will cost us 19k each without the guarantee of a job at the end of it.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm just so disappointed as after my life turned upside down following the break up 2 years ago, this was my goal... The application process started 6 months ago so I've been living since last summer with my focus on this... I had a plan: get as much experience as I can, apply for the masters, hopefully get on the course,live like a poor student for a couple of years again, graduate and get a probationer job, get a mortgage, look for a breeder for my next puppy... now I literally don't know what to do. I can of course look for experience in other areas and apply to a different course next year... which I will do, but it seems like I now must start from scratch. And by August/September next year there may be no more financial support available for me as a EU national or some other restrictions. Either way, feeling like crap.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  12. shadowmare

No :( you need to get either the masters in Scotland or doctorate in England... I don't want to move to England (it would be 5 years...) as this is my home and to be completely honest, I feel more welcomed here up north...

cheekyscrip and Happy Paws2 like this.
  13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you have been treated this way...Bl**dy Brexit:mad::mad:

cheekyscrip likes this.
  14. cheekyscrip

I know to some degree how it works..
    Because my degree comes from EU and the career path is different there I was fully qualified there, but in UK it was different.
    So was never able really to practice, or work, even though worked already for nine years before.
    Funny thing as government was paying for students £££ to get those qualifications.

Any chances in EU? Ireland?

Young, hard working, educated people like you are assets for every country and it is very stupid to discourage them and turn them away.

#14 cheekyscrip, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. shadowmare

To be completely honest, I just don't want to leave Scotland :( I love it here. It's my home :( if I would've gotten into this course, I would've had the choice of staying in my current job and possibly doing the probationer year (and maybe stay on after that) in this team. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option. I still want a career in psychology... I just can't continue with the original plan. So I need to either change job and pursue a different path (will still need a postgrad degree for it so I'll need to apply for a new course either way) or wait and reapply for the course when I know what will happen in 2 years. Either way I'm not going into postgrad this September. Which means that I will have to either apply this autumn for next years intake or wait another year and only apply next year for courses starting 2019... either way I'm stuck in limbo of not having a clue how my life will look like next year.
    Though moving back to EU is not out of the question...

cheekyscrip likes this.
  16. cheekyscrip

Though choice , seems like coming to crossroads....

Brexit will put many in that...

Think what really matters most to you.
    I do not want to lose Gibraltar either.

#16 cheekyscrip, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice