UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my cat had her kittens 4 weeks ago, she has been a good mum and been feeding them. untill 2 days ago she growls at them and runs away she does everything she can to get away from them.. i know they are hungry they are calling out all the time, I dont know what to do now. she strikes them bites and growlsshe is just not intrested what do i do? please help

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,581 Posts
She might have come into call. Don't let her out or you may well find another litter of kittens arriving...

You need to feed the kittens. Have you offered them wet cat food in a shallow dish? You could smear a little on their paws and mouths as well. You also need to bottle-feed them. Cows milk must NOT be given. Cimicat is OK, there might be other commercial cat milk replaces available. Make sure to be accurate making it up - too dilute and they don't get enough nutrition, too strong and they get constipated. You also need to toilet them before and after each feed which means using a cloth or tissue to rub their bottoms. Plenty of videos on the Internet if you need to see how.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow, No i havnt given then any wet food at all, the last litter she had 2 years ago they started at around 5 weeks their selfs. will i need to remove them from the mother? and how ofter willl they need to be bottle fed? thanks so much its really helpfull, im so worried

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
It does happen but very unusual for a mother to reject kittens in this way when they are so young. She could possibly have mastitis which would make feeding them very painful for her. You need to get this checked by a vet as she will need medication.

You need to be feeding the kittens now! You should be able to get kitten feeding bottles from your vet. There are some good home made recipes on the internet - a very good one with carnation milk diluted with boiled water and another with goats milk. PetsatHome are open late and sell feeding bottles. Its very important that you get them feeding straight away - two days without food is critical, they must be starving.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
At 4 weeks they need around 100mls over 24 hours, fed every 3-5 hours depending on the kittens.

Do offer wet food, many kittens start eating around 4-5 weeks. Agree she is likely to either be in heat or have mastitis. If mastitis she'll need a vet visit for antibiotics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and thanks again, ive had to run all over town but ive got a feed and bottle, they have all had 10ml and a wee :) and are now sound asleep for the 1st time today.

Going to try and give them 20ml the next time they wake up. thanks for all the advise i was really worried, should i keep the mum away from then kittens now, as im unsure what to do with her, it seems crewl to leave her in our spare room.

fingers crossed for the little 1's

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If mum is attacking or swiping at the kittens, then yes you should separate her from the kittens. Please please take her to the vet as if it IS mastitis, she will be ok with them after treatment. Also she will be in a lot of pain if left.

Get some tins of Hill A/D cat food. Its like a mouse and can be mixed in with the milk to start weaning them. They will love it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
by any chance Did you move the box the Kittens were in my cat did the same as we needed to move them upstairs as we was having work done on the house and was worried about dust and stuff and a few days later she rejected them completely we got some kitten powder that we got from a pet shop mixed it and hand Fed the litter from about 3 weeks onwards ... until they was able to lap themselves and eat.

this is Pudding one of two males out of the litter of Four he was the Runt and we was really worried about him for a bit but He Did really Well and became the most Chunky out the lot of them and know Lives in a big house of a Friends and is spoilt rotten !

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good luck :) can't add anything else as advice that has not already been said, apart from try to give them some kitten milk in a dish and wet food in a dish as well. You will have to bottle feed also (we tube feed so much quicker) but if rejected by mum sooner they learn them self the better :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone, and thanks for all the great advise, The mother was not moved no, she had got out of our spare room for around a hour and then put back, she was fine for a while but then this happens, got an appointment for mum today at 12pm :) as for the kittens, their doing well now, got them all fedding from a suringe (they didnt really likethe bottle) drink around 10ml each every 3 hours. are weeing very well lol an this morning i with alot of screaming from the poor thngs managed to get them to pooh. All their bells feel full and fingers crossed i think they are all going to be fine.

They do have milk water and kitten wet food that i mussed up outside of their box but show it little intrest, if i put milk on my fingers they will all suck and bite it off.

Thanks again to everyone and fingers crossed mum is alright as i hate keeping her in the garage and miss her alot :'(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.