Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reject a breed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cbcdesign, Jul 10, 2017.

1. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Is there any breed of dog that you feel is damaged by poor breeding choices that you would not be prepared to own one? It could be for health reasons or physical characteristics for example?

2. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Pugs, all Bulldogs, Cavalier King Charles and Boxers too. All lovely dogs, but they're just not healthy dogs anymore and I think the risk of ill health is too high for me to own one unfortunately

3. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

I absolutely love English Bulldogs but a friend of mine has one and gosh what hard work he is. And expensive. Poor dog is always unwell, has all sorts of skin issues, rashes, etc. It can´t be normal to breath so loud and they do. I absolutely love him, he is a cuddle monster, the most well behaved dog, his eyes are the cutest, but I would not be able to keep up with one.

JRB123 likes this.
  4. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

That said, I would never reject them. They are adorable. It would just break my heart to see him unwell so often.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I am not drawn to brachy breeds - partly just personal preference, partly because of poorly bred ones being so commonplace.

Katalyst, Wiz201 and simplysardonic like this.
  6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Anything that has extreme exaggeration so that is the brachy breeds, the bug eyes breeds, wrinkly breeds, hugely hairy breeds - you get my drift.

Katalyst, DT, Wiz201 and 4 others like this.
  7. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Two more I've just thought of, dauschunds and basset hounds. I walk a basset hound and love him to bits and would love one but he has already had surgery on his back and he's only 4, it's such a shame

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

All Brachy breeds, can't bear to watch them suffer :(
    Droopy skin breeds that aren't supposed to be like it Neapolitan mastiffs, Bloodhounds, Shar pei and Basset hounds etc.

I'm not cut out to live with most Terriers, Spaniels and Border Collies........not because of anything to do with breeding, I just don't like the busyness of them and particularly the obsessive nature of the Collies

#8 rona, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I'm not going to name breeds but I'm the same as Leanne. Anything with exaggerations or extremes of anything....folds, rolls, bulging eyes, flat faces, no snouts, dwarf legs, no coat, too much coat, too big, too small, anything ravaged by health problems like cancer in the lines shortening the breeds overall life expectancy....

10. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I can't really reject a breed, as I'd take a bulldog / other brachy from rescue.
    I'm really not cut out for dogs who need a shed load of grooming......

MiffyMoo likes this.
  11. Laylah63

Laylah63 PetForums Junior

I love pekes but it is difficult to watch them struggle in even warm weather

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

The only breed which comes to mind as something I couldn't bond with is those crested hairless things. I prefer big dogs, I'm no fan of terriers, all sorts of personal bias but I wouldn't turn away a dog needing help - except that one. They make me shudder.

13. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

The overdone brachy breeds and dogs with rolls of skin and drooping skin which gets easily sore and infected. Dogs with huge profuse coats that have got worse over the years, a friends Sheltie has far more coat then the one I had as a child. Peeks really upset me now, they barely seems capable of moving very much, such a shame as they used to be less hairy and longer legged when I was a child.

14. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I couldn't have any breed that has over exaggerated faults like trouble breathing, bulging eyes, bent legs so they have trouble walking, things like that.

Which breeds are they?

15. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Pretty much the same as everyone else. Any breed that has over-exaggerated features that result in it being constantly at the vets. I can't afford the money or the stress.

16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Over exaggerated brachycephalic breeds would be a type that I wouldn't go for, mainly because of the conformation and health issues a lot have because of it, but also just through personal choice they are just not a type of breed I am drawn too. Not saying that they are not wonderful dogs and great to own for one minute its just purely personal choice. Toy or very small dogs are also not breeds I could imagine myself with, having always had medium to large, again nothing wrong with them, I know quite a few and they are lovely but its just personal choice. A lot of people probably wouldn't want the breeds I have had over the years either.

Fleur likes this.
  17. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I realise they're not for everyone, but have you met one?

18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I've had the chance to, I know a breeder and I've been extremely close but I cannot bring myself to touch one. I fully accept this is completely unreasonable and they are wonderful characters - doesn't change how repugnant they are to me. I know I'd ruin one by my attitude towards them so I wouldn't have one cross the threshold. That doesn't mean I wouldn't move heaven and earth to find one somewhere else to go but I'd be the wrong person to take one in. It's the only breed I can think of does that to me.

Team_Trouble likes this.
  19. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

If what you're getting at is if Briards would be included then yes (although they werent a breed which came to mind). I realise many breeds are fluffed up for the show ring but Pekingnese, Old English Sheepdogs, Rough Collies, Pomeranians, any of the corded breeds etc would not be for me. Even some of the show type gundogs I think carry way, way too much coat.

adamantis and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I wouldn't completely rule out a particular breed from rescue - however I do need to be practical and anything larger than a spaniel would be ruled out by what I want out of a dog and my life (small dogs fit into my caravan, home etc perfectly for me)
    From a breeder I wouldn't buy a brachy breed - I love the sound of the pekingese but the breeding for a short face and too much coat has disabled the poor dogs, I would consider rescuing one but I wouldn't put the money in a breeders hands.
    I wouldn't buy something like a basset hound ( although they are too large for me anyway) as their features are so over exaggerated and i'm sure there are several other breeds that would concern me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice