Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reintroducing mum and baby bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Dixietwinbarrel, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dixietwinbarrel

Dixietwinbarrel PetForums Newbie

Hi all, we had 2 8 week old bunnies 2 weeks ago, unfortunately 1 passed away quite suddenly.
    We have been in touch with breeder to let them know and they have suggested that we have bunny's mum for company.
    Will I need to bond these or is it likely that they will get on quite happily?
    Thanks in advance

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Sorry you lost one of yours.

They would need bonding as if strangers, maternal instincts vanish as soon as the babies are weaned. There's a 50/50 chance they'll either get on great and bond properly, or hate each other, it's not a guarantee.

For long term bond success they would both need neutering as well.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Dixietwinbarrel

Thank you.
    I was worried that may be the case. Would siblings be better?
    They still have bunny's brother but we have a female so would need to be separated until neutered anyway.
    Thanks again

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

They don't really view relationships the same way we do, so there's no guarantee a sibling bond would work either! Tricky little creatures.

I've had a much loved up sibling pair, the pair I currently have are completely unrelated.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. Dixietwinbarrel

Thanks for your help. She's so young and I really don't want her being lonely but I don't have the space to take on another if they don't bond :( will have a call around some rescues and see if they can help with bonding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice