UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, its looking more and more likely that reid will be on steroids for the rest of his life to ease his breathing; its assumed that the infection he had when i got him was so severe it has permanently damaged/scarred his lungs.
the worst of it is, i dont know what his personality is like 100% healthy, so i'm assuming that he is behaving as normal (extremely friendly and cuddly- loves being petted and spoke to... and is aa great wee rattie kisser :001_wub: )

i forgot to ask the vet, but figured someone here will probably know.. if he does need life long injections, will i have to take him to the vet each time or with an ANA qualification and observing the vets will i be able/expected to do it myself? he really doesnt like the vets- more so when there are angry cats in the waiting room :(

and now for a few pics! :D

the first time they ventured out on their own... well, almost lol

G

·
If you ask the vet to show you and they are happy to let you continue then most vets should allow you to inject at home.

I inject all my meds at home, it's much better than a stressful trip to the vets but it isn't something everyone is capable of or happy to do lol

Cute rattie pics :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! :D
i know my vet Really well, and he knows i'm competent... but i dont like asking him stupid questions because the look he gives me :eek: and he will tell it as it is; a spade's a spade and all that!
i think i would be happy enough to do it myself- i can hold him in one hand for getting the jabs, so once he's a little more used to them i think i could pronably manage it no problem...

who of yours needs injections?

G

·
Bentley (agouti hooded) has steroid injections for the exact same reason your boy does.

We have never been able to stop the sneezing or wheezing no matter what meds we tried and the scaring is pretty bad on his lungs :(

He was kept in a tank before he was rescued :(

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no, poor lov :(
the steroids are doing the job though?

people really do anger me something shocking; i mean, how hard is it to do a quick google search on caring for X pet before running out and getting one!
some end up thinking a tank is ok for rats, for others a tiny wire bottomed cage with saw dust popped out in the cold shed seems fine.#then of course We end up picking up the peices for the little fluffers once their owner decides they cant be bothered any more :mad:
(i'm in a bit of a bad mood today over it incase you can't notice :eek: )

G

·
The steroids do seem to ease it for a little while, so I will continue to do them until his quality of life suffers. At the moment he is a happy lil chap, and tbh I think his sneezing bothers me more than it does Bentley :eek:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B3rnie, where do you get the needles and what size do you use? they seem well priced on vetuk i think...
oh, and how often does he need the jab?
when he goes in again it will be to decide if we should continue treatment, and if it is a yes then i'll need to start ordering things, but because of the pet supply thread was noseying on the shops anyways... its the threads fault; not mine!! :rolleyes::

G

·
B3rnie, where do you get the needles and what size do you use? they seem well priced on vetuk i think...
oh, and how often does he need the jab?
when he goes in again it will be to decide if we should continue treatment, and if it is a yes then i'll need to start ordering things, but because of the pet supply thread was noseying on the shops anyways... its the threads fault; not mine!! :rolleyes::
My needles come from vetuk, I get the 25g needle and Bentley has an injection every two weeks now.

Make sure you remember that you should not give any NSAIDs such as Metacam or Rimadyl for 24 hours after an injection and after an injection it is best to have a short course of anti b's (I use Septrin) because steroids give the immune system a bit of a bashing so we need to support them whilst it builds up again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.