Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehoming Our Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ViszlaPup, Feb 9, 2021.

1. ViszlaPup

ViszlaPup PetForums Newbie

Me and my partner recently made the very difficult decision to rehome our 6 month old Hungarian Viszla puppy.
    My partner was not handling the stress very well. Her university requires a lot of studying and concentration, having the puppy was very distracting. It caused a great deal of stress for her. We both love our puppy very much, we tried and tried to come to an understanding and routines in order to keep the puppy. I know my partner was really just doing it for me, I really did not want to rehome her. It is easier for me to sit back and give many reasons why we should not of done it as I was working during the day, which meant my partner was dealing with this all day every day. I would walk our puppy in the mornings, come home at lunch to walk her and walk her in evenings to try take some of the stress off my partner. Recently I have been working from home which helped a lot, but my partner still felt she was not ready for a dog in her life. Seeing how much stress it was causing my partner I agreed that we would return her to the breeders and they will find her a good home.
    The issue is I just really want my puppy back. I cant shake the feeling, there is still time to get her back before she finds a new home. On one hand I know that she will find a good home and live a happy life, my partner will be happier and manage to get on with her studies but I am not happy. I know I blame my partner for it, which is not fair, but I cant help it. I fear that if I go and get our dog back my partner wont stay for long. Is it selfish of me to want my puppy back? I just know that with more time and patience things would get better with the pup, I just cannot seem to convince my partner.
    Note: She was a LOT of work and she required a lot of training. She kept us up at nights for almost the whole time we had her. She was a massive attention seeker but all in all she was a fantastic dog. Very loving and very sassy.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say you’re lucky that the breeder took her back and should just accept you can’t cope with a pup or dog at the moment.

If you get her back, what has changed to enable you and your partner to cope?

Vizla’s are full on as a breed anyway so need a lot of exercise and training.

It’s not fair on the dog to take her back, realise that it’s too much and want to pass her back again. She might miss the chance of a suitable and experienced forever home.

I’m sure you feel sad about it, but the dog’s needs must come first.

Gemmaa, Happy Paws2, Calvine and 5 others like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Absolutely this breed is a hunt point retrieve breed. They need to be engaged in working out on shoots or sporting activity like canni cross to remain fit and healthy. They are known as the velcro dog but the clue really as to what they need is in their breed type name. They are working dogs.

All of the first year needs to be engaged in building the foundations for their sporting or working life. They are not pet dogs.

You did the right thing in surrendering her and hopefully she will go to someone that can train her up so she can live to her potential.

Take comfort in that.

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear that you have had to give up your pup. I don't wish to sound harsh, but if your breeder is sensible then they won't give you the pup back. I know I wouldn't be giving a pup back to someone who clearly couldn't cope.

Take comfort in knowing that she is in the best place at the moment and will hopefully find a new home soon.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Getting a puppy before you have finished your education is always a stupid idea. You simply have no idea what path your life is going to take.

Wrong time, wrong breed. Yes, it is selfish of you to want her back, and to be blunt, it was selfish of you to get her in the first place.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  6. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Hmm there have been a rash of posts on this theme recently and there’s a whiff of emotional vampirism to them.
    Sorry OP if you are genuine, and if so you have done the right thing and can’t take it back now.

mrs phas, O2.0, Calvine and 1 other person like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry you are in this position, Very difficult situation for you and your partner.
    I understand how you feel but the breeder has taken her back and will find her a lovely home. I think it would be unfair for your partner if you take her back, The breeder might say no anyway.
    Its not quite the same but I used to foster dogs and other animals and I used to feel bereft when they went to their new home and wanted them back . That feeling passes and there will be opportunities in the future for you to have another dog , perhaps an easier breed as well.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

My vet has two of these dogs and does agility with them plus she and boyfriend run for miles with them; they never tire, she says. What made you go for this breed?

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. Animal Freak

Animal Freak PetForums Member

I do agree it's typically a bad idea to get a puppy before finishing your education, though I did it myself, and especially a high energy working breed. It requires a lot of commitment and dedication. In this situation, it sounds like you were the one who wanted a puppy and your partner got stuck with the work. That's definitely not fair and giving up the puppy was the right thing to do. Young puppies in particular are a lot as they need to be taken out frequently. I got an older pup and that has been quite hard to deal with as it is. My suggestion would be wait until your partner has finished her education and you can take the time to research various breeds to see what will fit your lifestyle best. Or at the very least consider an adult dog that wouldn't require so much care.

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I don’t think you should get your puppy back sorry. Everyone needs to be onboard with having a dog really. A Vizla is a high energy dog and needs a lot of training and stimulation. I do know a few that are pet dogs but they have had lots of training put into them!
    I also don’t think the breeder will give you to pup back, or they shouldn’t give it back. Perhaps, when your partner has finished her studies, you could look at rehoming an older dog. An older dog would still need training etc but your partner may find it less stressful.

LinznMilly and Sairy like this.
  11. ViszlaPup

ViszlaPup PetForums Newbie

Would just like to say that overall I agree with all the posts. It was a silly time to get a puppy. It was my partners idea originally to get one and we talked extensively about how life would be and the fact that I have to work everyday and she assured me it would be fine. I guess you can think you'll be fine until the real situation takes place. I just felt it was the wrong decision to rehome the puppy, she meant the world to me. I do take comfort knowing she will go to a good forever home.
    For the posts asking about why we got the breed in the first place.. Me and my partner do a lot of hiking, cycling, running etc. We have great access to walks around us and we wanted a breed that could share in all the activities we do. We were doing proper training with the puppy every week as we did do a lot of research about the breed. It was not just a random selection.
    Thanks for everyone's posts.

tabelmabel, Teddy-dog and Calvine like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice