Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehoming my dog, will he be OK?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hayls21, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Hayls21

Hayls21 PetForums Newbie

Morning all

My husband I are going through adopting a child at the moment, we have a 4 year old dog thats far too boisterous, he is loud, jumpy and very protective so barks at small things. Social services were not ok with him and we have to rehome him; my husband and I understand its what needs to be done in order for us to get another child and we have already found a home for him with one of my husbands colleagues.

I am absolutely devastated he is having to go, he is a part of our family and is such a loving dog. I feel so much guilt giving him away as feel like I have let him down. Again, I know this needs to be done in order for us to get our new son and if we were not adopting then our dog would not be going anywhere. Those that have rehomed a dog before - does the dog settle well? I just want him to be happy.

Thanks for reading x

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello congratulations on your adoption. My female female boxer lily passed away December 2018 she came to live with us at 6 months because she wasn’t getting on with the resident dog. She settled in just fine no problems at all. After a week it was like we’d always had her.

Have social services given a blanket no dogs rule or can you work with a trainer to try and sort out the behaviour? Does your husband’s colleague understand the extent of the problems? I would still start working on these now. The worry of rehoming a dog with issues is that they can just get passed on.

Torin., Sairy, DaisyBluebell and 7 others like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Congratulations on the adoption. :)

All three of my dogs (one now since passed on) have been 2nd or even 3rd hand :( dogs. Given time to adjust, they've all been absolutely fine. Yours will be too.

tabelmabel, Hayls21 and JoanneF like this.
  4. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

We had to rehome our dog because she was fighting with our other dog. She was a rescue and very attached to me we met up with her new owner (a friend of mine) twice and she took her for a couple of walks on her own so she got to know her. She has issues, I was really honest about it and told her new owner everything as well as stressing we would have her back rather than her being passed on should she be too much. Saying goodbye was horrible but she settled in really quickly and when I saw her recently she knew me but was clearly attached to her new family.
    As long as the prospective owners are a suitable match and know your dogs issues then I am sure he will be just fine. Children and dogs can learn to get along fine though, I have 8 nieces and nephews and there are 11 dogs in our family of varying sizes!

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but if someone gave me an ultimatum like that I'd be keeping my dogs.

6. Hayls21

Hayls21 PetForums Newbie

Hi

Thanks very much, so glad to hear yours settled well but so sorry to hear she passed away.

We have already been working with a trainer for the past 4 months but as our dog is still quite jumpy and barks alot around our new son they are not happy with how he is and have said he would need to be rehomed if we were to have our new son placed with us.

We have warned them regarding his behaviour but they are happy to keep working on his behaviour, it is just the 2 of them in the house and don't have younger children round so say it will work well.

Thanks very much for replying x

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  7. Hayls21

Hayls21 PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much. Its nice to hear yours adjusted well.

8. Hayls21

Hayls21 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for replying, im glad she settled in quickly and built a relationship up with her new owner. Hopefully ours will be like that too.

Yes, we think they would learn to get on but unfortunately we don't have the option to try :(.

Thanks again

LotsaDots likes this.
  9. Hayls21

Hayls21 PetForums Newbie

I do understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately if we wanted to expand our family further we didn't have a choice. Its one of the hardest things we will ever do.

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Please don't think I'm blaming you, a child's safety has to come first & at least you have found him a good home, I just feel SS can take a pretty hard line when it comes to peoples' beloved pets but I guess they have to.
    Our youngest dog was 6 months when she came to live with us & she was a bit unsettled at first, missing her family, but only for a day or so

Sarah H, LinznMilly and LittleMow like this.
  11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

I've had second or third hand dogs for 30+ years
    Only one never settled, and it broke my heart to return him to the rescue, but it was for my other dogs safety, and for his own mental stability
    I have also fostered for most of that time, pups to oaps, and found all of them found their feet within weeks, sometimes days
    You may find your dog is completely different in a no child setting, children can stress dogs out, causing them to bark, jump etc and if this is the case, living with no children may be the best thing for him

Good luck with it all x

12. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

I rehome my boy 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I know it was so difficult for the family to make the decision so I have sent them random pics. He was living with an older lady who just couldn't cope with his activity levels.

It took him a couple of weeks to settle in but he found his feet and I always say he rescued my partner and I, not the other way around.

He's cuddled up on the sofa as I type x

IMG_20201026_172638.jpg

Duggee, Happy Paws2, Boxer123 and 2 others like this.
  13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Although I haven't re homed a dog, most years we place our dogs in home boarding for a week or fortnight.

One of my dog in particular absolutely loves it. I know he would be completely happy if he never came back home to us.

In fact, embarrassingly, after his first little holiday away, i was returning to the car park after a walk and there was another car there, just arrived with boot open. My dog accelerated forward at rapid pace and jumped into that car boot!

Every year, when the lady comes to pick him up, he is raring to go.

So dogs definitely can settle very well in different homes.

All the best with your new son!

14. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd do the same, but then I'm not in the least bit maternal (at least, not towards my own species :p ).

Torin., Happy Paws2 and ForestWomble like this.
  15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

We took Bobby in 18 months ago, he's a retired stud and had already been rehomed 3 times from his breeder, and returned, at 6 years old poor little man. It was absolutely no fault of his own, just an unfortunate chain of events.
    He made hmself straight at home and quiclkly befriended our other dog.
    He's an absolute gem and so happy.

16. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have taken in a few adult dogs and they fitted in straight away. We may think our dogs love us, but I think they love their food more

17. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

It depends on the dog but they usually adapt in the end. I would pass on as much info about your dog , his routine and his quirks etc. i would also pass on his toys and bed etc.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  18. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Me to.

adamantis, Happy Paws2 and LinznMilly like this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You say you've been working with a trainer for 4 months, has he improved at all?

It seems extreme that social services would give you the ultimatum of rehoming when all he's doing is barking. What breed is he out of curiosity?

I know for a lot of us getting rid of a dog because of a child on the way is a bit of a trigger, but the reality is, rehomed dogs are very often much happier in a more compatible home. Particularly if his behavior is stressing you out and you're not having much luck changing it. He's probably better off anyway in a home with a different environment and the owners have more time and perhaps knowledge to deal with him.

Torin., LittleMow and LinznMilly like this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am sure he will be fine but I also know I would not get rid of my dog for that reason.

adamantis and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice